Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

To the man who has currently has 517 credits on IMDB, fills stadiums worldwide and has conquered every musical world there is!

And yet in America many fans scratch their head and say "I don't get it he has only scored 50 films (American ones)". What some of you guys are missing is incredible stuff!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

And yet in America many fans scratch their head and say "I don't get it he has only scored 50 films (American ones)".

Seems like yesterday he started out as a young rascal composing music for Tarantino films! wink

Happy birthday to the maestro, I'm sure discovering more of his music will give me a lifetime of joy.

And I hope many of you who've yet to experience him in concert will get to do so soon!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

Seriously agree with initial post. Went to Italy last October. Came back with a few dozen Morricone scores. Since than have bought about another 100 and counting and I am just floored by all I've missed.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   orbital   (Member)

Yes, happy birthday, Maestro Morricone, and many happy years to come! God bless you.

I am very much looking forward to seeing him live in Berlin next year.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   Milan NS   (Member)

All the best to the great man.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 10:09 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

To the man who has currently has 517 credits on IMDB, fills stadiums worldwide and has conquered every musical world there is!

And yet in America many fans scratch their head and say "I don't get it he has only scored 50 films (American ones)". What some of you guys are missing is incredible stuff!

I had no idea you were 85! You seem so much more youthful in your posts here!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 1:32 PM   

Seriously agree with initial post. Went to Italy last October. Came back with a few dozen Morricone scores. Since than have bought about another 100 and counting and I am just floored by all I've missed.

Thank you! There are just too many great and original Morricone music scores to ignore. It's not all wonderful, as it is with all other composers but even his worst for me is interesting. But like reading subtitles too many people will not even consider a score with a foreign title. They are missing a whole world of great film scores. Thank you for exploring!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   Dorian   (Member)

I don't think that movie composers, alive or dead, get any more legendary than Ennio Morricone. It's great to see him still around and active at such a high age. Happy birthday Maestro! I will never forget the concert which he conducted here in 2011.

Of course I've been playing exclusively Morricone music today, now it's "I Magi Randagi", one of my favorites.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 3:24 PM   
 By:   brofax   (Member)

And yet in America many fans scratch their head and say "I don't get it he has only scored 50 films (American ones)".
The real WORLD of film music lies outside the US but, in fairness, they have had the odd few good ones over there, LOL.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 6:04 PM   

It's not all wonderful, as it is with all other composers but even his worst for me is interesting.

Everything until 1975 is amazing. It's hit or miss after that. But you cranked out a lot of amazing stuff between the late 1960s and mid 70s.

I like your giallo scores most of all.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 7:11 PM   
 By:   neotrinity   (Member)

In the 'end', the eternal beginning left behind

is the legacy of one's wondrous work. His immortality Highlanders can only dream of.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 7:16 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Let me wish ENNIO a happy 85.He writes fine music and is prolific, you can't beat that .One of the greats.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:14 PM   

Next time I am at Hôtel le 123 Sébastopol in Paris I will celebrate in the Morricone Room:

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 12:49 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

Happy birthday Maestro,

I've been listening/collecting Maestro Morricone's music since 1968 when I bought my first two LP's "Fistful of Dollars" and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". I consider myself very fortunate to have enjoyed 45 years listening to this man's wonderful music.

Thank you sir, for all the pleasure you have given me and 1000's of other film music fans around the world.

Now, I'm off to listen to "The Sicilian Clan", my first non-western Morricone score, first bought on LP in 1970 and still one of my favourite Morricone scores, it's just glorious.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

As the most represented artist in my music collection you could say I'm a fan albeit he's not my favourite composer. The breadth of material is enormous. I grew up on the Spaghetti Western scores but find I rarely play them these days, and I generally find his US scores the least interesting. I'm more inclined to play one of his less known film scores, keeping Il Clan dei Siciliani (one of my favourites) for the occasional treat. smile

I had forgotten it was his birthday yesterday but I did play Allonsanfan simply from choice. My wife had chosen to play L'Istruttoria E' Chiusa: Dimentichi the day before but when I indicated what it was like she stopped it after a few minutes.

Happy belated birthday, Maestro!

Mitch

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 2:42 AM   
 By:   Zeno Cosini4   (Member)

Hey Morricone,

you are absolutely right with your words. Ennio Morricone is by far the best composer alive right now. His range of music is unbelievable, his music is extremely memorable, he is making each film better than the film was without his music.

And: To believe that the best film composers are coming all from the US is maybe a kind of blindness. Okay, Bernard Herrmann and Jerry Goldsmith are maybe the champs of all time (til now!), but Georges Delerue was a master of heartbreakingly fantastic music. Take a look at John Barry, Maurice Jarre, Peter Thomas, Piero Piccioni, Bruno Nicolai, Dimitri Shostakovitch, Akira Ifukube and so on. Film music is luckily global, especially in terms of quality...

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 5:07 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Ennio Morricone is by far the best composer alive right now. His range of music is unbelievable, his music is extremely memorable, he is making each film better than the film was without his music.

Film music is luckily global, especially in terms of quality...

Good words, worth repeating.

Happy belated birthday, Maestro, in case you happen to read this and have acquired a working knowledge of English in recent years.

TG

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 6:56 AM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

... what is he up to now?

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 4:25 PM   

... what is he up to now?

His last score THE BEST OFFER won the Italian Donatello award AND the European Film Award for best score. I think there will be a push for an Oscar at the end of this year.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 5:39 PM   

I think there will be a push for an Oscar at the end of this year.

I hope you win, Morricone!