Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 2:06 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

You're right, Jason, it is.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 4:16 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Nice, another clue that E.T. is coming out again in that MM article.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 6:37 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

I don't how anyone can hate Williams. While he's not my favorite, that's Conti, Williams is right at the top of all composers. Maybe the top. Williams is my second favorite composer, de-throning Goldsmith for second place recently. I personally find most of Williams music more melodic. But I do love Goldsmith too.

I do not hate John Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many William scores, I love. He just is not one of my favorite composers.

I'm not in the "cult of Goldsmith". I just think He was(is) the best ever.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 6:59 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Don't worry, Henry will come back around with Goldsmith. It's quantity AND quality.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 8:39 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

The version of Exsultate Justi on disc 2 is identical to what we've had for 27 years via the original OST. The version of Excsultate Justi on disc 1 is the new, longer version.

Its also the film mix version and contains a brass excerpt not included earlier.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2014 - 8:53 PM   

Nice. But could it be JAWS ? Since a 2nd Williams project is expected from La La Land this year. But Im hoping it would be JFK. Lets see.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2014 - 12:03 PM   

Was watching Empire of the Sun on blu ray using my headphones when the P51 mustangs assault the air base with Jim on the tower when `Cadillac of the Skies 'starts. I noticed for the first time the a few seconds of harps arpreggios (?) blooming with the fiery explosions and then familiar music starting. Wow. I'll bet this is the film version of the cue and the one on the album is actually an alternate cue. This subtle orchestration is cinematic magic and it just blew me away. Can't wait to get the whole thing. Both the movie and score are favourite of mine. This is truly an exciting moment for fans and film music fans alike.

Bummer! Just learnt that the harp sweetner at the begining of Cadillac of the Skies is not included in the set as this was only intended for the film version of the cue. Apparently this was nixed upon Williams own request since Williams intended it to reflect the album version.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2014 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

Nice. But could it be JAWS ? Since a 2nd Williams project is expected from La La Land this year. But Im hoping it would be JFK. Lets see.

MM specifically, cryptically mentions E.T. in footnote 2 to the article.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 12:01 AM   

I noticed that earlier today (actually 6-27) La-La-Land Records posted the following at the OTHER discussion about "Empire of the Sun":

Well, that was quick!

The first batch of 2000 Empire cds are now gone! The cd is TEMPORARILY out of stock. If you placed an order you will be receiving your copy.

We expect more to come in by July 15, if not sooner. I will keep y'all posted.

Have a great weekend!

MV

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 12:24 AM   
 By:   Henry Jones   (Member)

Congratulations LLL gang!

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 3:23 AM   

Ok folk lets have some feedback on the sound quality. Its gonna be more than month before I get my hands on this baby.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 8:07 AM   

With my very large and powerful Klipsch speakers, including a sizable subwoofer, it sounded wonderful. But, as I explained earlier, I've not done an A-B test to see how it may differ from the original release and may leave that for more technically discerning ears.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 7:21 PM   
 By:   rickO   (Member)

The sound quality is amazing! Clear and punchy.

I listened to this today, both discs. There are some standout moments, but it's a tough listen in some parts. Not for everybody, but definitely worth a look!

-Rick O.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2014 - 10:07 PM   

When I first received the set on Wednesday, I played the CDs through my big Klipsch speaker system in my living room and everything sounded very clean and wonderful -- I usually prefer the airiness of floor-standing speakers rather than headphones, although I sometimes do some of my more critical listening through various pairs of headphones. Just now I put the 1st CD on my Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray/DVD/CD/SACD player and listened through my Sennheiser HD598 headphones plugged directly into the large receiver, playing the entire CD in the dark to minimize distractions. And it sounded very clear and powerful, intimate where it should sound intimate, shattering in some of the climaxes. As I've already written, I'm very glad I bought this and have liked it more each time I've played it.

And goodness ... in a month this discussion has been accessed over 19,000 times!

Posted:   Jun 29, 2014 - 5:22 PM   

dp

Posted:   Jun 30, 2014 - 8:11 AM   

Montana Dave just posted the following on a NEW discussion he started on La-La-Land's new "Empire of the Sun." Thought it would be more appropriate here, where we've been discussing this issue:

I'm thrilled to hear the new version of Williams 'Empire of the Sun', from LaLaLand. I've had the original for nearly, what, 30 years and had grown so accustomed to its sequencing that this new version was a revelation! From the beginning the new sound quality was astounding; and the first clue to hear the new differences was the 2nd selection, 'Home and Hearth'. This was now the complete cue and I noticed immediately what was missing from the initial release. Very, very appreciated and I'm glad this new 'Empire of the Sun' has become available!

Posted:   Jun 30, 2014 - 9:31 AM   

Well My order has shipped from SAE. Happy!

Posted:   Jun 30, 2014 - 12:24 PM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

on every new and remastered or expanded release I read the same things:

- it's a REVELATION!!!!
- sounds better than ever!!!
- I hear new instruments!!!

smile

Posted:   Jun 30, 2014 - 12:33 PM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

Received my copy here in the UK today (amazingly fast, that!).

Very fine release. I never owned the original album (somehow neither film or score really connected with me at the time), but it does sound wonderful. I guess its inevitable, as it has that trademark Williams 'sound', but I am surprised how much this score prefigures that of AI: Artificial Intelligence. Guess its all the use of the choir, but some of it sounds like a prototype AI score. I adore the AI score so that's just an added bonus, but its interesting. Anybody else notice it?

Posted:   Jun 30, 2014 - 12:34 PM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

DP. Sorry.