Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 1:19 PM   
 By:   foxmorty   (Member)

demand will certainly help. i would hope it's there again this time. isn't there also a somewhat paramount based push to get all the star trek music out there in a more complete form or did i dream that up?

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 1:28 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I'm not really clear on your point. You're saying that Varese would somehow know of fan demand for an expansion even if they hadn't bought the original? I find that impossible to believe.

What, you think people don't write or e-mail labels and ask for expansions? And do you think they don't read what we fans say on this board? Or other websites?

And I was not stating that the explanation offered above by Captain Avis was impossible. I was stating that it was not the ONLY possible explanation. And unless you can get someone from Varese to verify, then it's ALL speculation. Even MY statement.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

What, you think people don't write or e-mail labels and ask for expansions? And do you think they don't read what we fans say on this board? Or other websites?

I'm sure they read it. But it would be very foolish indeed to make business decisions based on it. The number of people who will do this are very, very small and represent only a small fraction of who they'll need to buy a CD in order for them to make money. And people here often clamor for discs that sell poorly.

The only way they have to gauge actual interest is sales.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:01 PM   

I'm sure they read it. But it would be very foolish indeed to make business decisions based on it. The number of people who will do this are very, very small and represent only a small fraction of who they'll need to buy a CD in order for them to make money. And people here often clamor for discs that sell poorly.
The only way they have to gauge actual interest is sales.

Perhaps. I have no doubt that is one of the factors. Perhaps even the only one, as you say. What I am saying in a nutshell is MAYBE they do something because of "this", or MAYBE they do something because of "that". Many reasons are possible. Very few people present here actually know for sure and then state it as being so.

How many people do you suppose bought the basic edition and then contacted Varese to say, "Hey, I wanna buy it twice! How about it?"? In all likelihood, I would suppose there were quite a few, but that doesn't mean it was the only criteria used in making that decision, does it? Does it not strike you that there is, in the realm of possibility, a bunch of people that conveyed to Varese their desire to buy ONLY an expanded edition? Unless you can disprove the possibility, then this is going in circles.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:07 PM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

The creators lied about ST09

Huh?

Supppsedly ST09 followed on from TOS and TNG (then looped back in time).

From the first frame and the sight of the Kelvin, I feel that was not true and that they tried to placate long-time fans to accept their reboot/remake.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:15 PM   

Does it not strike you that there is, in the realm of possibility, a bunch of people that conveyed to Varese their desire to buy ONLY an expanded edition?

I realize I must seem incredibly -- infuriatingly -- obstinate to you when I say that, in the realm of possibility, there may have been such people, but that this would not have done any good.

I do not work in the soundtrack business (though I have friends who do), but I do work in the television business. So I can tell you this: I've done shows that have been released on DVD. The producer of those DVDs told me that one problem they had (this was five years ago) was that when the first couple of seasons of an old series sold poorly, they would back burner or entirely stop producing further seasons. And then, inevitably, they'd get letters from people who insisted they would only buy the early seasons once all seasons were released -- that is, they had a desire to buy ONLY a complete series. But the few times they tried this, and released all seasons despite poor early sales, the release of the complete series did absolutely nothing to boost sales, despite the letters.

It's not that businesses ignore the hopes of their customers. It's that they can't afford to go with promises instead of actual sales.

Is there anything other than sales in the mix? Sure, there's the passion of somebody who really wants something released. This passion comes not from people conveying what they'd like to buy, but from a producer or a composer who believes in the project. In this case, it was the good sales of the "Star Trek" CD combined with Giacchino's determination to get the whole thing released that made it happen.

I'm sorry if you hate me.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:39 PM   

I'm sorry if you hate me.

big grin
No Schiffy. I don't hate you (I don't think anyone here does). Quite the opposite. For the most part I find you sharp and even-tempered. Perhaps my lack of emoticons gave you the impression that I was becoming exasperated. Not so, comrade. Your cred is good enough for me, but we are not talking exactly apples to apples in this particular instance.

EDITED TO ADD: See now, mentioning that MG was a strong influence in getting the expansion released makes all the difference. Would that we could always have the artists flex their muscle in such a fashion.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

How could that even be a feasible lie in any shape or form if the movie starts before Kirk's birth, let alone *decades, if not a century prior to TNG*? I think you were mistaken or misread.

However, the 2009 movie DOES account for the Enterprise series, as it takes place after ENT and mentions "Admiral Archer's prized beagle".

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:57 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

How could that even be a feasible lie in any shape or form if the movie starts before Kirk's birth, let alone *decades, if not a century prior to TNG*? I think you were mistaken or misread.

However, the 2009 movie DOES account for the Enterprise series, as it takes place after ENT and mentions "Admiral Archer's prized beagle".

It's feasible because the villain came from the existing TOS/TNG future with Ambassador Spock and all that?

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 5:58 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

J.J. did 09 the way he did on purpose. Kirk's father was killed right when he was born and in the current timeline Kirk's father NEVER died. Nu-Kirk even asked Spock prime about his father and Spock said his father was Kirk's inspiration for joining Starfleet.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 6:03 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

It's feasible because the villain came from the existing TOS/TNG future with Ambassador Spock and all that?

My reading of the Admiral's post is a complaint that the 2009 movie somehow promised to follow the original/ Prime timeline.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 6:18 PM   

I was not a fan of the 2009 movie, but the new timeline was necessary. There's absolutely no way that, four decades on, they could remain beholden to a continuity established in over 700 television episodes and ten movies.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 6:22 PM   

J.J. did 09 the way he did on purpose. Kirk's father was killed right when he was born and in the current timeline Kirk's father NEVER died. Nu-Kirk even asked Spock prime about his father and Spock said his father was Kirk's inspiration for joining Starfleet.

Heh-heh. And his new step-dad inspired his passion for driving cars. Love it.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 11:29 PM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

If I may throw my cents in....

I dont buy the idea that JUST BECAUSE Nero and his crew went into a black hole and destroyed ONE Federation starship changed every single event...to the point of Spock and Uhura being in love. That SHOULDVE been Nurse Chapel (hinted at more then once on TOS). Destroying Vulcan means NO Tuvok, no Dr. Selar, no Savaik, and all the other Vulcan favorites that wouldve come after this time period. Ok so Kirk's life was changed. He had no daddy. Boohoo. And Nero spent 25 years (part of it was spent in the Klingon prison camp Rura Penthe) waiting for Spock Prime to show up. This film had many plot holes and left many questions unanswered. Time travel doesnt solve everything. JJ-Kirk and co would NOT have known what Romulans look like...because this takes place before the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" when it is revealed what Romulans looked like for the first time. I could go on an on but I wont. LOL Bottom line, its a great movie, sexy and fun and all that, but is it a great Star Trek movie? I dont think so. But my opinion doesnt count.

As for Into Darkness? Im looking forward to it like I did back in 2009 and will likely see it a bunch of times and participate in all the hype and pomp over it. BUT...lets see if they come up with an "explanation" for why Klingons in this universe wear helmets. I guess honor means nothing to these Klingons! lol "A Klingon who hides his face, has no honor." We've heard that line on TNG. Perhaps these are some of the "human augment" Klingons from Enterprise (season 4) who lost their forehead ridges due to a virus. And perhaps the helmets are there to hide their shame? Who knows. We shall see! Either way, I look forward to the film AND score, and will support it either way so that counts for something. At least there is even another movie out to celebrate and look forward to. Good times. smile

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   Mike West   (Member)

new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEkuVgt6Aw

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Yes, we've been discussing that trailer for 2 days here in this very thread.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 2:51 PM   

Yes, we've been discussing that trailer for 2 days here in this very thread.

sorry for that, did miss it.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 2:51 PM   

dp

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 12:44 PM   
 By:   TM2-Megatron   (Member)

Just remember, that part of the reason we got a deluxe edition was that the original album was such a good seller for Varese!

Be that as it may... personally, I'm not planning to buy any initial release of the Into Darkness score. Star Trek sells (the vast majority of the time, anyway). If Varese doesn't know that by now, I really don't know what to say to them other than I very much had hoped some other label would've acquired the rights to this score.

I have no doubt that many dedicated Trek fans will buy the initial release, and that's great. Better their money than mine. I'd rather save mine for releases like the inevitable Into Darkness expansion that'll probably come out 2 or 3 months later, or the hinted at future Trek television release(s?) by LLL.

You know what CD Varese lost a bundle on? "Star Trek Nemesis." Cost a lot, sold a little. And we haven't seen that expanded yet, have we?

It was a poor representation of the score, and releasing it concurrently on SACD probably wasn't a very profitable decision either. It remains the only Trek score I don't own, and have no intention of buying at this point unless expanded. I've even passed over it when I came across it for a couple bucks at a local used music store.

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 1:20 PM   
 By:   musicpaladin2007   (Member)

It was a poor representation of the score, and releasing it concurrently on SACD probably wasn't a very profitable decision either. It remains the only Trek score I don't own, and have no intention of buying at this point unless expanded. I've even passed over it when I came across it for a couple bucks at a local used music store.

Isn't that the truth. With all due respect to the late Jerry Goldsmith, he picked some of the most mundane and repetitive cues for Nemesis's soundtrack. There are far better jewels yet to be released from that score.

The score as a whole isn't bad, but I can't help but have this nagging feeling that in the last part of his life, this score in particular was partially ghostwritten.... the jump down between the great First Contact score, excellent Insurrection score and the so so Nemesis score is jarring. I've had that feeling for years.

Also the "Mines of Remus" story cue is far better in the film than the version on the album.