Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 14, 2010 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

What's up with "The Stonecutter"? I never saw the film and the liner notes do not seem to mention it. Is it a source cue from the film?

Yes. And it's just as grating and unlistenable as it was when I saw the movie theatrically. big grin

Posted:   Dec 14, 2010 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Showed the film to my parents last weekend who hadn't seen it in decades. We all enjoyed it immensely (especially me for the umpteenth time), and during all of those 120 minutes, I kept thinking about how lucky I am to be able to at last hear that wonderful score independently from the film. My CD is now on its way to me. I'm so excited, I can barely hold my oil.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2010 - 4:43 PM   
 By:   jedijones77   (Member)

Oh, the Stonecutter song is on this? That's a nice bonus! I never knew Williams wrote this one either...

Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?
We do, we do.
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Seriously, I've never seen the movie or heard the music, but it sounds really good! It actually sounds like outtakes from Raiders of the Lost Ark to me, not that it's similar to any theme from that movie, but the dramatic/suspenseful style seems like it could fit in. This is definitely the best-sounding major new release of the past week for me. Clash of the Titans probably suffers from being ripped off somewhat by Young Sherlock Holmes and Sky Captain, both of which I've already heard enough of. Like Sky Captain, it's self-consciously retro and somewhat shapeless and repetitive. Then there's Poltergeist, a score I've had since 1997 and could only get through a couple of times. Like most of Goldsmith's work, it's dull, scatterbrained and lacking in a recognizable identity, for the most part. The one or two good themes are just plugged in on demand without given any interesting variance. It's great to see that at least Family Plot has more genuine brilliance and originality from the one, true film score master and is worth getting excited about.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2010 - 8:48 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Never seen the film nor heard the music, but I must say after listening to it, it's a wonderful score. I hear SO many musical ideas that I would hear later in JW's scores. This CD is splendid, I hope people jump on this and buy it.

I only gave it one listen, but I did not like it at all. I suppose I can use this one as a potent sleeping pill. This Williams blind buy will be my last.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2010 - 8:53 PM   

In the midst of listening to this winsome, delightful score as I type. It sure is fun! big grin

Posted:   Dec 17, 2010 - 9:12 PM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

Never seen the film nor heard the music, but I must say after listening to it, it's a wonderful score. I hear SO many musical ideas that I would hear later in JW's scores. This CD is splendid, I hope people jump on this and buy it.

I only gave it one listen, but I did not like it at all. I suppose I can use this one as a potent sleeping pill. This Williams blind buy will be my last.

I gotta agree. I found it rather ordinary.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2010 - 9:17 PM   

I think it helps if one has seen the movie.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 5:50 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

I think it helps if one has seen the movie.

Listened to the CD yesterday and, to be honest, was less than impressed. However, I've never seen the movie but have just purchased a copy of the DVD really cheaply. So, will watch the movie and then try the CD again.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 8:48 AM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

The movie is also on netflix streaming. Gonna watch it now to see how the quality is.
Seems to be DVD quality and nice picture.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 9:47 AM   

The following day:

Gave a few more listens, and I sort of like it. I should never base my opinion on one exposure. Don't think it is a great score or even a good one! One I probably wont play often, but I jumped the gun by calling it a bad score.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 10:30 AM   

I like the end credits ant the source music. Thats about it,

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 10:56 AM   

Boy, this really is a boring score. I plowed thru it a few times and goodness is it ever a sleeper. Never could understand why he was Speilberg's composer of choice when he could have had Goldsmith??????????????????????????

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:13 AM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

Boy, this really is a boring score. I plowed thru it a few times and goodness is it ever a sleeper. Never could understand why he was Speilberg's composer of choice when he could have had Goldsmith??????????????????????????

You do amuse me RM.smile

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   Nostromo   (Member)

Solution: go out and purchase label maker (if you don't have one already). Use label maker to make a label that reads "Music composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith". Place label over the area of the front of the booklet that reads "Music composed and conducted by John Williams".

Result: "Wow guys, I'm so happy about this new Goldsmith release! I can't believe it's taken this long to make it available! TOTALLY a 5 star, classic suspense score! This release backs up my CONSTANT, NEVER ENDING claims that Goldsmith is the one true God that I would kneel before (heh heh) without a moments hesitation and that that hack Williams (shakes fist at the monitor in anger) could never equal his blindingly shiny brilliance! By the way, does anyone have any nude photos of Mr Goldsmith that they'd like to trade?

In conclusion: Goldsmith = champion of all that is good and holy in the universe, Williams = boring hack who I'll never forgive for almost always overshadowing my idol Goldsmith in the wider popularity stakes and unconfirmed (though I suspect it to be true) puppy crusher."

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   steb74   (Member)

Tremendous score, love it!
Many thanks Varese!

Thanks God, the Heavens, whoever .... that Speilberg did indeed pick Williams as his composer of choice, without doubt the correct decision for lovers of great music everywhere.
I shudder to think that Indiana Jones could of ended up with the music from King Solomon's Mines, phew ...close call eek !!!

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:18 AM   

Solution: go out and purchase label maker (if you don't have one already). Use label maker to make a label that reads "Music composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith". Place label over the area of the front of the booklet that reads "Music composed and conducted by John Williams".

Result: "Wow guys, I'm so happy about this new Goldsmith release! I can't believe it's taken this long to make it available! TOTALLY a 5 star, classic suspense score! This release backs up my CONSTANT, NEVER ENDING claims that Goldsmith is the one true God that I would kneel before (heh heh) without a moments hesitation and that hack Williams (shakes fist at the monitor in anger) could never equal his blindingly shiny brilliance! By the way, does anyone have any nude photos of Mr Goldsmith that they'd like to trade?

In conclusion: Goldsmith = champion of all that is good and holy in the universe, Williams = boring hack who I'll never forgive for almost always overshadowing my idol Goldsmith in the wider popularity stakes and unconfirmed (though I suspect it to be true) puppy crusher."

Sorry, I'm not one of those "Goldsmith is God" folks. I like way more Williams scores than I do Goldsmith scores. Family Plot just is not one of them. I love the new Home Alone CD.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:20 AM   

Other than Goldsmith's STAR TREK scores, and a couple more, Goldsmith doesn't do much for me either.

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:21 AM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Doesn't anyone complaining here listen to samples? It was very clear from the samples that we were getting a suspense score from Williams and not his typical orchestral stuff. I just finished watching the movie and I quite liked the theme so I can't wait until I get my copy on Christmas wink

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:25 AM   

As soon as I get paid, I'm ordering this baby, Williams and Conti are my favorites!

Posted:   Dec 18, 2010 - 11:41 AM   

As soon as I get paid, I'm ordering this baby, Williams and Conti are my favorites!

That is your problem.