Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Ben-Hur

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 2:44 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

In find it interesting that Rozsa apparently considered the Victory Parade to be the showpiece of his score. That is presumably why he selected it for the first album. Did he have no inkling that it would be the Parade of the Charioteers that would go on to become his "greatest hit" (after Spellbound) and be played by every band student in the country for years to come?

Yes. I could never understand why Rozsa left off any music to do with the most iconic scene in the film--the chariot race. If you'd asked me before I bought the original LP what track I was absolutely certain would be on it, I'd have said "Parade of the Charioteers". When I saw the track list I thought, "What the---!". It was to be another three years, when I quite accidentally discovered the second album in a clearance bin in Sydney, before I heard the "Parade" outside the film. I wonder if anyone ever questioned him about that? To me that was the biggerst disappointment of the original album--that, and the fact that the sea battle had been cut down from 9 to 2 minutes (not that I expected the whole 9 minutes, of course. Even at 15 I wasn't that unreasonable).

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 2:48 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

thank goodness i enjoy this film but have no desire to own this release... however once it ships and those fans throw rave reviews [even the jaded ones] i might be tempted.

If you're that easily swayed I have a Harbour Bridge here in Sydney I'd like to tempt you with. smile

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

In find it interesting that Rozsa apparently considered the Victory Parade to be the showpiece of his score. That is presumably why he selected it for the first album. Did he have no inkling that it would be the Parade of the Charioteers that would go on to become his "greatest hit" (after Spellbound) and be played by every band student in the country for years to come?

Frank's notes make it clear (for the FIRST time) that Rozsa's 'Parade of the Charioteers' from Volume 2, 'Arrius' Party' and the 'Christ' Theme were all recorded in the Savina sessions but were held over to the second album. They were not recorded in Nuremburg.

The Christ Theme was intended as a single, the other two pieces meant for the Volume 1 album presumably. By the lengths of albums in those days, this would have been quite feasible, and would've taken the first album to less than 50 minutes.

So perhaps the right question to ask is, why did MGM limit the material to just the 14 tracks instead of the 16 intended? Why should that be Rozsa's decision?

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 3:07 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

thank goodness i enjoy this film but have no desire to own this release... however once it ships and those fans throw rave reviews [even the jaded ones] i might be tempted.

Student - "Let me . . . think."

Student gets slapped across face curtly.

Teacher - "Do not think, or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

End lesson big grin

By:   George Komar   (Member)

So perhaps the right question to ask is, why did MGM limit the material to just the 14 tracks instead of the 16 intended? Why should that be Rozsa's decision?

You mean "instead of the 15 recorded" in October 1959, the 15th being "Arrius' Party." "Parade of the Charioteers" and "The Christ Theme" were not recorded until March 1960. The first album had to be out the time of the film's premiere November 18, 1959.

I'm trying to find out whether Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops were the first to record the "Parade of the Charioteers."

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 3:08 PM   

P.S. I'm sort of wrong on this: although the PotCs and Arrius's P and the Christ theme were all recorded in Rome and not Nuremburg, they were recorded separately for singles all, much later. I had another glance at Frank's notes.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 3:10 PM   

You mean "instead of the 15 recorded" in October 1959, the 15th being "Arrius' Party." "Parade of the Charioteers" and "The Christ Theme" were not recorded until March 1960. The first album had to be out the time of the film's premiere November 18, 1959.

Yep. George, I just noticed that.

Why DID they leave out 'Arrius' Party'? It's such an atmospheric and beautiful piece, and would have widened out the textures of that album, and made it more representative of all the styles in the score.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 3:40 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Maybe it's distinctive colour impeded the progress and flow of the dramatic qualities of the album according to the thinking back then. The party 'parades' itself as source, whereas, the general undertone of the dramatic spikes in the film coincide with the drama underscored on the limited space LP. The general trend of the story is to go from black to white. All you can do is start at the 'betrayal' end of the business and progress on to the 'revenge' climax, with a bit of 'redemption' tagged on at the end.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2012 - 6:34 PM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

Student - "Let me . . . think."

Student gets slapped across face curtly.

Teacher - "Do not think, or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

End lesson big grin

LOL!

Posted:   Feb 21, 2012 - 11:31 AM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

Somebody posted a performance of the love theme on YouKnowWhatTube especially in honor of Kendall and the team.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2012 - 8:21 PM   

Why DID they leave out 'Arrius' Party'? It's such an atmospheric and beautiful piece, and would have widened out the textures of that album, and made it more representative of all the styles in the score.

Perhaps they wanted to limit the LP record to 40 minutes; the Lion and the More Music from BH are very close to 40 minutes as well.

It may not have been Rozsa's decision. It undoubtedly was Rozsa's decision to include it in the Decca 1977 LP release.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2012 - 8:25 PM   

Nevertheless, if he considered it the showpiece of the score, he chose not to record it for the Decca 1977 release. To have left the Parade of the Charioteers on the Decca LP, on the other hand, would have been unthinkable.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2012 - 7:57 AM   

Nevertheless, if he considered it the showpiece of the score, he chose not to record it for the Decca 1977 release. To have left the Parade of the Charioteers on the Decca LP, on the other hand, would have been unthinkable.

My guess is that basically he wanted a march included that was a 'stand-alone' march outside any context, that would represent the many mock archaic 'source' cues on the film. The Charioteers is that too, but it uses leitmotifs from the film, so making it dramatically well integrated, but not a unique evocative piece of mock-reconstruction.

At the time of those scores, Rozsa really cared about showcasing his skills in reconstructing authentic pieces and feels, he wanted to show that off. 'Victory Parade' does that, evokes the historical era more, to modern ears. But he never saw fit to include Messala's theme at all in the first album, and Arrius' theme appears in NONE of them.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Colonial Marine   (Member)

Just got a shipping notice! Fantastic!

big grin big grin big grin big grin

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:20 AM   
 By:   blue15   (Member)

Just got a BEN HUR shipping notice from Screen Archives, it's on the way!

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:27 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

I've just got a shipping notice as well!!!

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:27 AM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

Just got my shipping notice as well. Bless SAE and all who sail in her.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:32 AM   
 By:   toposs   (Member)

My order of Ben Hur and a Walk In The Clouds are shipped to the Netherlands.
Thank you Lukas and Frank K.DeWald once again for all the splendid work on Rosza over the years.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2012 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   Katie @ SAE   (Member)

Just a notice to people who don't receive a shipped email by the weekend, we only received 500 so far as the plant was behind, but nicely shipped us what they could next day. The remainder arrive Monday or Tuesday. Please hold off sending emails asking why yours is still pending smile