Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 1:12 AM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

Day one purchase for me!

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 1:18 AM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Worries about the course of this film have taken form within me recently. That said, some comments about that sample track specifically, from the trailer (thanks for linking).

The track reminds me of Inception. Thats not to say its the same.

*If* this music is not quite thematically oriented, as with Goldsmith, Williams, etc., and I *do* say if, it is certainly noble, heroic, and exhilerating. The background thrumming is arguably generic, but the brass & string lines that capitalize upon their contrast is not. When the music roars in full form, it most certainly is evocative and compelling.

Zimmer is a master of dramatic timing. Is that a theme or more just an ultimate evocation? Is the expression a zenith of kinetic build-up, or is it a cohesive theme? I`m honestly not sure I can make that distinction here.

Perhaps that distinction need not be made.

If the rest of the score anchors around that plaintiveness and majesty, then I will definitely appreciate it.

(Note: Not yaying or naying H. Zimmer overall here, just offering some thoughts bidden by what I just heard. Over and over again... the Play button repeatedly...)

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 5:38 AM   
 By:   JohnF   (Member)

Wow... Powerful, majestic, strong. Zimmer nailed this theme. Exactly how the new sound for Sup should be. Haters will hate but fans will be happy.

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 9:20 AM   
 By:   mstanwick856   (Member)

I listened to the full track using my Sennheiser PX 100-II and my Sennheiser HD 218i. The former has good base response and is open backed whereas the latter is very good on the high frequencies and is close backed (noise reduction).

The reason for using these is that with most Zimmer, I personally am turned off by the lack of individual electronic instrumentations that produce what many have described as a 'wall of sound'. For me, the thematic element was obviously present but when I expected what would be the violins counterpart, all I heard was a faint resemblance. I used the HD 218i's and sure enough it was really a synthesiser sound. Fair enough, but for me this really could have done with electronic violins to counterbalance the obvious base heavy element so prevalent in this piece. I know he is capable, as in Sherlock Holmes.

Still, only one track. Still am intrigued enough to want to hear more.

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   markbagby   (Member)

First full track listen via Watertower Music:

https://soundcloud.com/watertowermusic/mos_poster/s-LYFjd

very close to the trailer if not the trailer music so nothing surprisingly new here but it's a strong track. fingers crossed this will be a good one. i fully expect it to be!

Definitely the music from the trailer. Which I liked!

More of that kind in the rest of the score would be great. I really hope the samples on the Amazon-site were totally misleading.

No, it's not the track from the trailer. The beginning--probably 80 percent of the way through -- is the same but then the ending is different. And if you search the Soundcloud site, you can find the trailer track, as well.

https://soundcloud.com/briandpaul/man-of-steel-trailer-music

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 10:28 AM   
 By:   stay-puft   (Member)

I listened to the full track using my Sennheiser PX 100-II and my Sennheiser HD 218i. The former has good base response and is open backed whereas the latter is very good on the high frequencies and is close backed (noise reduction).

The reason for using these is that with most Zimmer, I personally am turned off by the lack of individual electronic instrumentations that produce what many have described as a 'wall of sound'. For me, the thematic element was obviously present but when I expected what would be the violins counterpart, all I heard was a faint resemblance. I used the HD 218i's and sure enough it was really a synthesiser sound. Fair enough, but for me this really could have done with electronic violins to counterbalance the obvious base heavy element so prevalent in this piece. I know he is capable, as in Sherlock Holmes.

it's a demo version specifically edited for the trailer and the only recorded instruments are the drums

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 1:04 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Have to say that so far, I like what I've heard.

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Big thanks to TheUlyssesian from JWFan for pointing out this:

1-Minute Long samples of EVERY track from the Deluxe Edition CD!

http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39426

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   mstanwick856   (Member)

it's a demo version specifically edited for the trailer and the only recorded instruments are the drums

Many thanks for the update.

I have just listened to the one minute snippets from the Limited Edition album and have to also say that what I have heard I like. Brought back memories of Ligeti, Tomita, later Pink Floyd and a bit of Jean Michel Jarre and of course this sounds to me more of a restrained Zimmer, full of nuanced composition. But these are just one minute snippets. Perhaps an unrestrained Zimmer lurks in the missing pieces. Have to wait and see.

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 5:21 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

The 1-minute long samples Watertower put on Youtube are vastly superior to those on Amazon. Holy moly.

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 9:29 PM   
 By:   Michaelware   (Member)

zzzz

Posted:   May 7, 2013 - 10:49 PM   
 By:   Landstander   (Member)

Hmmm. The second track, Oil Rig, sounds... how shall I put this... derivative of Underworld's "And I Will Kiss" from the London Olympics. I'm not calling it plagiarism, yet.

Starting at 1:47

http://youtu.be/hM0fiegRbTg?t=1m47s

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 2:08 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

The longer samples, of course, give a better impression of the score.

But in the end it seems to be not really different from what I expected. The main theme is used more often, thankfully, but so much time seems to be wasted on the typical Zimmer-sound effects and droning, instead of thoughtfully and carefully orchestrated melodies.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 2:20 AM   
 By:   Alex Cremers   (Member)

I'm perfectly able to enjoy some of Snyder's movies (300, Watchmen) without giving a sh!t about their score. The music never was able to be a deal breaker. I hope MOS won't change that but you never know with Zimmer.

Alex

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 3:56 AM   
 By:   Mike West   (Member)

I agree with the two previous posts. The main theme sounds great to me and fitting, but the other material (supposedly that music based on the low two note motiv for Zod, a ethereal texture for Krypton etc) sounds very very generic and interchangeable, the usual layers of sound. The high string instrument (cello?) reminds me of Morricone somehow... other spots also.
Well, anyway, I like the theme very much, there is a lot in major mode (a tone having disappeared in particular in superhero-film-scores), that's great!!
Zimmer will not suddenly compose in symphonic sophistication, that's clear.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 4:53 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Here's all the WaterTower samples in one 23 minute long video

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

zzzz

Remember Backdraft, Crimson Tide, Prince of Egypt? What happen to this guy? A 90's Zimmer Superman score would have been epic. frown

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 7:44 AM   
 By:   JohnF   (Member)

Thanks for posting Jason. Best listen so far... The soundtrack can't get here fast enough.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Chugga-chugga-chugga (BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 10:14 AM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

Chugga-chugga-chugga (BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

You make great train sound effects.