Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 1:52 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

"Into Eternity" really sounds temp tracked. Any ideas? For some reason I am thinking it might be similar to a James Newton Howard theme.

Edit: I figured it out. It reminds me of Randy Edelman's "Dragonheart". Specifically the death scene where the dragons spirit rises into the stars.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 2:11 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

So Doyle taking a thematic approach to the RC/MV style is 'selling out' but Tyler doing it is perfectly fine? That's fair. I appreciate people have different expectations for a Doyle score than a Tyler one but their approaches are quite similar. To celebrate one and to dismiss the other seems silly to me.

I like both scores but definitely prefer Doyle's take. I missed his themes in the movie.

It is silly and the whole "selling out" thing is laughable. Doyle, like Tyler, took a job which he was paid for and was expected to meet his employer's wants and directions. Very likely either Branagh or Marvel wanted a specific sound and Doyle was expected to give them that sound.

Why in the world do people think the composer can just walk in and do whatever he wants and take whatever approach he wants with a score? Or more specifically, some tend to be righteously indignant when the composer doesn't supply the kind of score THEY want. roll eyes

Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 8:56 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

That's very confusing. Don't use the existing themes written by Doyle from the first Thor yet use the theme Silvestri came up with for the first Cap. America film that most likely won't be used in the second film.

Cuckoo, Cuckoo!

-Erik-

Haha, I figured the same. The new Cap is a far departure from the other stylistically.

Just b/c there's a departure in style from "The First Avenger" doesn't mean that Silvestri wouldn't have been capable of handling it's sequel. GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, The A-team, and even Marvel's The Avengers is proof of that.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 3:48 AM   
 By:   Luc Van der Eeken   (Member)

Hmmm...gave the score two listens so far and found it really...exhausting. There's some good material but like Iron Man 3 the score is waaaaaay to long on CD. They should trim it down to 40-45 minutes. Tyler's an interesting case. His style sounds somewhere between old and new school. I still prefer Doyle's score but then I also prefer the first film. Right now, I'm gonna remedy my headache by listening to 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'The Book Thief'.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 6:31 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

Why in the world do people think the composer can just walk in and do whatever he wants and take whatever approach he wants with a score? Or more specifically, some tend to be righteously indignant when the composer doesn't supply the kind of score THEY want. roll eyes

And THAT'S why people like Bernard Herrmann, Miklós Rózsa, Jerry Goldsmith, Alfred Newman, John Williams and scores of others are memorable, and Brian Tyler and Paddy Doyle (so far) are not: because the former had a recognizable voice, and the latter don't.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 7:07 AM   

Hmmm...gave the score two listens so far and found it really...exhausting. There's some good material but like Iron Man 3 the score is waaaaaay to long on CD. They should trim it down to 40-45 minutes. Tyler's an interesting case. His style sounds somewhere between old and new school. I still prefer Doyle's score but then I also prefer the first film. Right now, I'm gonna remedy my headache by listening to 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'The Book Thief'.

I completely agree. If I may, here's my cut down playlist. I took out most of the unmemorable action cues.

(1) Marvel Studios Fanfare
(2) Thor: The Dark World
(3) Battle of Vanahelm
(4) Sword and Council
(5) Vortex
(6) Journey to Asgard
(7) A Universe from Nothing
(8) Uprising
(9) Into Eternity
(10) An Unlikely Alliance
(11) Escaping the Realm
(12) Deliverance
(13) As the Hammer Falls
(14) Thor, Son of Odin
(15) Lokasenna
(16) Asgard
(17) Legacy

Total Time 44:25

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 7:10 AM   
 By:   Luc Van der Eeken   (Member)

I completely agree. If I may, here's my cut down playlist. I took out most of the unmemorable action cues.

(1) Marvel Studios Fanfare
(2) Thor: The Dark World
(3) Battle of Vanahelm
(4) Sword and Council
(5) Vortex
(6) Journey to Asgard
(7) A Universe from Nothing
(8) Uprising
(9) Into Eternity
(11) Escaping the Realm
(12) Deliverance
(13) As the Hammer Falls
(14) Thor, Son of Odin
(15) Lokasenna
(16) Asgard
(17) Legacy

Total Time 44:25

That sounds about right. I could do without all the Dark Knight stuff.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 7:10 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

(9) Into Eternity
(11) Escaping the Realm

These three are the core of it for me. I often skip over the stuff before and after, but this right here is the score in a nutshell and what will probably make it onto my "Marvel Phase II" playlist from this score, along with the Marvel Fanfare which I don't love but couldn't really leave off of such a list!

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 9:17 AM   
 By:   Mikal   (Member)

"Into Eternity" really sounds temp tracked. Any ideas? For some reason I am thinking it might be similar to a James Newton Howard theme.

Edit: I figured it out. It reminds me of Randy Edelman's "Dragonheart". Specifically the death scene where the dragons spirit rises into the stars.

Ha! I'm glad someone else picked up on the JNH comparison, even if you later changed your mind. razz I can hear Dragonheart, but early last week I told a friend of mine the following: "...that cascading string line in the part of the track to which you referred [the last 45 sec. or so of "Into Eternity"], it reminds me of the one in "Flows Like Water" from The Last Airbender." He thought the aforementioned part of the track sounded unlike Tyler, and I knew it sounded like something else to me, so I finally drew the comparison after it hit me.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 9:22 AM   

Ha! I'm glad someone else picked up on the JNH comparison, even if you later changed your mind. razz I can hear Dragonheart, but early last week I told a friend of mine the following: "...that cascading string line in the part of the track to which you referred [the last 45 sec. or so of "Into Eternity"], it reminds me of the one in "Flows Like Water" from The Last Airbender." He thought the aforementioned part of the track sounded unlike Tyler, and I knew it sounded like something else to me, so I finally drew the comparison after it hit me.

Hey, I think you are correct! (They always say go with your first impression!) Glad you solved the mystery.

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 2:49 PM   
 By:   Mikal   (Member)

Hey, I think you are correct! (They always say go with your first impression!) Glad you solved the mystery.

Oh, I don't know if I "solved" anything, but I do what I can. wink

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 5:56 PM   
 By:   jasonahunt   (Member)

Well, I just saw Thor and I've got to say that I loved the music. It felt like Two Steps From Hell scored it, which of course made it awesome in my book. Loving that triumphant theme, whatever it is! Also, did everybody stay for the bonus scene as well as the bonus BONUS scene? Haha, wasn't expecting two extra scenes!

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 5:56 PM   

Well, I just saw Thor and I've got to say that I loved the music. It felt like Two Steps From Hell scored it, which of course made it awesome in my book. Loving that triumphant theme, whatever it is! Also, did everybody stay for the bonus scene as well as the bonus BONUS scene? Haha, wasn't expecting two extra scenes!

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 5:57 PM   

Posted:   Nov 15, 2013 - 5:57 PM   

Posted:   Nov 16, 2013 - 3:09 AM   
 By:   Adam Krysinski   (Member)

Another great review! 5/5! Examiner.com - http://www.examiner.com/review/thor-the-dark-world-soundtrack-review-music-by-brian-tyler

Posted:   Nov 16, 2013 - 3:11 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

Seriously, is Brian Tyler your meal ticket?

Posted:   Nov 16, 2013 - 3:13 AM   
 By:   Adam Krysinski   (Member)

Yes cool

Posted:   Nov 16, 2013 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

Thoroughly enjoyed the film, even more so than the first Thor film and the score is even better than Patrick Doyle's. In fact, this may be Brian Tyler's best work since "Children of Dune". Good stuff and is the first new score this year that I have bought.

Posted:   Nov 16, 2013 - 10:08 AM   

I just noticed Tyler wrote a very brief theme or really a motif for Sif. I missed it the first time as it shows up in "An Unlikely Alliance" where Caps theme appears rather prominently.