Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 5:06 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

For those who are interested: in the description they say there are 79+ minutes of music on the CD, but the tracklist on the order page reads thus:

1. Ba'ku Village 6:53
2. Out of Orbit / Take Us In 1:44
3. Come Out 2:34
4. In Custody 1:14
5. Warp Capability / The Planet / Children's Story 2:33
6. The Holodeck 4:35
7. How Old Are You / New Sight 6:14
8. Lost Ship / Prepare the Ship 2:39
9. As Long as We Can 1:40
10. Not Functioning / Send Your Ships 2:55
11. Growing Up / Wild Flowers / Photon Torpedo 2:55
12. The Drones Attack 4:15
13. The Riker Maneuver 3:15
14. Stay With Me 1:48
15. The Same Race 2:50
16. The Collector 1:10
17. No Threat 4:18
18. Tractor Beam 0:38
19. The Healing Process (revised) 5:04
20. The Healing Process (original version) 7:17
21. End Credits 5:30

Total Time:
71:37

Any speculation as to which alternates might be here but unlisted?

Lukas said that the OST will contain alternates. He said for this release these are cues as heard in the film. It looks like the only alternate on this one is the original version of "The Healing Process". I just hope the original version of that doesn't go into "End Credits" like on the album.

BTW I too gave the score another listen (the unmentionable) and I too forgot how good it is. I guess it'll be a time to do a Star Trek film score marathon 1-10 (Nemesis being the unmentionable) once I get my copy of Insurrection in the mail.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   Warunsun   (Member)

Ordered. My thanks for GNP and everyone here that worked on this or any of the recent Trek releases. It is still pretty amazing that the TOS big box came out and the shock hasn't totally worn off yet. I will happily buy any expanded Trek releases from GNP in appreciation for their cooperation with the big box. Thanks again.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   musicpaladin2007   (Member)

I just hope the original version of that doesn't go into "End Credits" like on the album.

By all appearances, it looks like the track list has End Credits as a separate track, and the track times match the unmentionable (and the final cut of A Healing Process by itself). Compositionally though, both versions have a giant crescendo into the Alexander Courage theme that connects it and kicks off the End Credits (honestly one of my favorite things about the score, it just seems a little more cohesive than First Contact), so although they would be separated trackwise on CD, I don't know how you *could* separate them (unless when the cues were recorded, Jerry had the orchestra crescendo up to the last note and stop for an edit on the hit where the horns start the Courage fanfare).

Maybe Lukas set them up with edits so that you can choose which one you want to lead into the End Credits.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 5:41 PM   
 By:   rickO   (Member)

Is the different version of Ba'aku Village on there?

-Rick O.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 6:03 PM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

Does anyone have a high res image of the artwork?

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 6:31 PM   

BTW....it was pointed out to me in the press release announcement of this...

"GNP Crescendo\’s new Expanded Collector\’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes."

Yet the track list shows just over 71 minutes. If the track list is incomplete whoever posted the track list NEEDS to correct it, if the press release is accurate.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 7:24 PM   
 By:   SpaceMind   (Member)

Woo hoo!!! Pre-ordered. Order #1889

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 8:39 PM   
 By:   Toby Bixler   (Member)

awesome news. order has been placed

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 8:40 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

Woo hoo!!! Pre-ordered. Order #1889

Nice! I got 1887. smile

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 8:42 PM   

GNP via Facebook to a reply of mine...

""Hey Trent, I saw this a little earlier on FSM and will try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. For now, assume the track listing is correct!"

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 8:43 PM   
 By:   musicpaladin2007   (Member)

BTW....it was pointed out to me in the press release announcement of this...

"GNP Crescendo\’s new Expanded Collector\’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes."

Yet the track list shows just over 71 minutes. If the track list is incomplete whoever posted the track list NEEDS to correct it, if the press release is accurate.

Either that press release is a lie, or someone blatantly and purposefully left off some items. The only alternate listed is The Healing Process, which looks like contains the original album version & final revised edit version

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 10:46 PM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Yay that it's now available for pre-order but at $14 for shipping to Germany, I'll wait and see how much SAE or someone else wants to sell & ship it for.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2013 - 11:05 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Yeesh, this board completely boggles me sometimes. Instead of starting a new thread, this is jumped on a generically titled old thread.....why? Once again it seems as if some people here must read every single post...

And personally, I'm MUCH happier with just the one disc instead of an extremely redundant second disc of the same damn recordings.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 12:37 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Alternates

I'm thinking it refers to the longer versions of cues like Ba'ku Village (which lengthens the pensive synth passage immediately prior to the TMP fanfare at the end) and In Custody (which re-instates a low, sustained chord and fade-out at the end)

The Healing Process

I always thought - and I'd have to check - that the film uses the revised version of the cue and then segues into the final moments of the original version for the final scene with data and the kid.

That would suggest the original - and only original version - seques into the end title. If that's the case, this is a very good presentation of those cues.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 12:47 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Guys, GNP just posted on FB that the tracklist has been updated with alternates and confirms a 79 minutes running time! Yay!

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=231

1. Ba'ku Village 6:53
2. Out of Orbit / Take Us In 1:44
3. Come Out 2:34
4. In Custody 1:14
5. Warp Capability / The Planet / Children's Story 2:33
6. The Holodeck 4:35
7. How Old Are You / New Sight 6:14
8. Lost Ship / Prepare the Ship 2:39
9. As Long as We Can 1:40
10. Not Functioning / Send Your Ships 2:55
11. Growing Up / Wild Flowers / Photon Torpedo 2:55
12. The Drones Attack 4:15
13. The Riker Maneuver 3:15
14. Stay With Me 1:48
15. The Same Race 2:50
16. The Collector 1:10
17. No Threat 4:18
18. Tractor Beam 0:38
19. The Healing Process (revised) 5:04
20. The Healing Process (original version) 7:17
21. End Credits 5:30

Total Time:
71:37

Bonus Tracks

22. Ba'ku Village (alternate ending) 3:53
23. The Holodeck (alternate opening) 1:12
24. Growing Up (alternate) 1:21
25. Tractor Beam (alternate) 0:38
Total Time: 7:25
Total Disc Time: 79:02

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 1:04 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Bonus Tracks

22. Ba'ku Village (alternate ending) 3:53
23. The Holodeck (alternate opening) 1:12
24. Growing Up (alternate) 1:21
25. Tractor Beam (alternate) 0:38

Ah so it looks like the album edits of Ba'ku Village and In Custody literally are only on the older CD.

As a single disc release this does look excellent.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 4:52 AM   
 By:   adamclark83   (Member)

Can't wait to get this. That will be 9 complete scores I'll own with one to go.

For "The Healing Process", is the revised version the film version?

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 5:14 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

Can't wait to get this. That will be 9 complete scores I'll own with one to go.

For "The Healing Process", is the revised version the film version?

The are listing both in the list just above. A little odd to have the revised and the original one after the other instead of the final version in the film order and the other with the bonus cues, especially when they have a bonus section, but as long as the final version is on the CD, I don't really care.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 8:18 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Many of our label's producers, including Lukas, will put an original and revised version of a cue side by side when they are significantly different. Example: Bronco Bustin' from Wild Rovers. Then the other alternates which are just slightly different get tacked on at the end.

I for one am very relieved to see that it was the track list that was incomplete rather than the press release being wrong. If they're going to limit it to one CD it should at least be as packed as possible! I mean, First Contact left off some alternates that were on the unmentionable but at least it squeezed the most important ones onto a single disc.

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 8:24 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Either that press release is a lie, or someone blatantly and purposefully left off some items.

Now that we know the press release was not a lie, what do you think was this person's motivation to blatantly and purposefully leave off some items? To lower sales? Yep, that's probably it.