Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Posted:   Oct 15, 2010 - 9:13 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

Anyone have a bit of a tough time getting the booklet back into the case after you got the CD's in? I had to slide in spine first and I carefully did it as I didn't want to take a chance on tearing it. Especially since it was a signed copy.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2010 - 10:36 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Anyone have a bit of a tough time getting the booklet back into the case after you got the CD's in? I had to slide in spine first and I carefully did it as I didn't want to take a chance on tearing it. Especially since it was a signed copy.

Yes, it's a bit snug—check to make sure all your jewel boxes have the disc trays snapped all the way shut (check all 4 corners). That can make the difference between everything fitting in the slipcase or not. Sorry about this!

Lukas

Posted:   Oct 15, 2010 - 10:38 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Still eagerly awaiting my set in the mail. Out of curiosity, how are sales of the sets going?

Posted:   Oct 15, 2010 - 11:22 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

Yes, it's a bit snug—check to make sure all your jewel boxes have the disc trays snapped all the way shut (check all 4 corners). That can make the difference between everything fitting in the slipcase or not. Sorry about this!

Lukas

No worries Lukas. smile I was just making sure I wasn't the only one. I did make sure all the disc trays were snapped shut before I put everything back into the case.

Over all I'm very happy and impressed with the set. You've made this Star Trek fan very happy. smile

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 3:43 AM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

My computer crashed so I can't currently add anything to my iPod, so I have to only listen to this set at home. I've been loading five discs at a time into my changer and going through them one by one, with my laptop at hand to follow the liner notes. I watched the series too sporadically for this set to be terribly nostalgic for me (although I noticed right away that I was listening to "A Matter of Honor" when I put in disc 6 instead of disc 5), but Jones' ever-changing palette, interesting techniques and gift for melodic invention keeps this set consistently interesting and emotionally engaging despite the abundance of material.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 4:34 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Still waiting for this in the UK.

I'm guessing I'll be stung for about £20 customs duty/post office handling. Argh!

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 5:02 AM   
 By:   Julian K   (Member)

I'm guessing I'll be stung for about £20 customs duty/post office handling. Argh!

Got mine this morning, with an £11.91 customs charge.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 5:14 AM   
 By:   Roy Donga   (Member)

Mine arrived on Thursday, with no customs to pay, no delay to delivery or damage to discs - so thank you SAE!

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 5:49 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

This often happens with opera sets and their librettos.
Lay the outer sleeve on its side, lay the booklet in it and then lay the first jewel case on top of the booklet. After that it should be easy enough to slide remaining jewel cases in the space remaining without sliding anything against the booklet itself.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 6:09 AM   
 By:   gregorioumbria   (Member)

It has reached Madrid, Spain.
I received it yesterday! Great set! Thx for this FSM !
Is a long term dream finally fulfilled ! Superb audio quality. Just what the music of Ron needs to be finally heard in all his glory.
Thx again for this Lukas !

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 7:34 AM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

Mine arrived on Thursday. Marked Gift at $35 - so no customs to pay, no delay to delivery or damage to discs - so thank you SAE!

Should you really be publicly mentioning that the "value" is being dishonestly referenced?

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   Roy Donga   (Member)

Should you really be publicly mentioning that the "value" is being dishonestly referenced?

I don't see any "value being dishonestly referenced" on this (nor ever from SAE), so please edit your post, but wonder how another UK customer has had a problem, it would n't be the first time the PO has made a mistake. The customs allowance should be higher for Gift items?

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 9:23 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

I don't see any "value being dishonestly referenced" on this (nor ever from SAE), so please edit your post, but wonder how another UK customer has had a problem, it would n't be the first time the PO has made a mistake. The customs allowance should be higher for Gift items?

The allowance is higher for private importations, yes.

Strictly speaking, though, the gift allowance is hard to justify when it's from a commercial organisation such as SAE. A "gift" is supposed to be from your Auntie Doris.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Love this set! My preference goes toward the more concise later scores (in Seasons 3 and 4) but there's many treasures in the earlier seasons, which I'm still pouring through.

"Circles" joins my list of favorite Ron Jones cues. What they did to it in the episode is absolutely criminal.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2010 - 12:22 PM   
 By:   johncutler112003   (Member)

The allowance is higher for private importations, yes.

Strictly speaking, though, the gift allowance is hard to justify when it's from a commercial organisation such as SAE. A "gift" is supposed to be from your Auntie Doris.

Doesn't Auntie Doris work at SAE?

Still waiting for mine but hope it won't be long.

Posted:   Oct 17, 2010 - 3:55 PM   
 By:   Jeff Eldridge   (Member)

FYI, the PDF version of the online notes is now available. Here's the direct link:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/fsmbox05_notes.pdf

Posted:   Oct 18, 2010 - 12:58 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Thanks! I've finished ripping my boxset, this will be added to the folder smile.

Posted:   Oct 18, 2010 - 1:27 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

FYI, the PDF version of the online notes is now available. Here's the direct link:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/fsmbox05_notes.pdf

When will the TV Omnibus online notes be completed?

Posted:   Oct 18, 2010 - 9:09 AM   
 By:   Nesius   (Member)

I'm loving the box set too! Thank you FSM!!!!!

Just one note, and I wonder if others are also having this problem. The last two tracks on Disc 12 are flawed on my set-- skipping and popping badly. These are some of the tracks for Best of Both Worlds. I know that another friend who got the set is having the same problem. Is this a design flaw on some of the pressings? Have others had this difficulty?

Thanks again, FSM, for releasing Jones's wonderful music. I have been waiting for years, and I know it was no small effort on your part to get this out! Hopefully this one small glitch can be remedied.

Posted:   Oct 18, 2010 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   robtoliver   (Member)

I'm loving the box set too! Thank you FSM!!!!!

Just one note, and I wonder if others are also having this problem. The last two tracks on Disc 12 are flawed on my set-- skipping and popping badly. These are some of the tracks for Best of Both Worlds.

I hadn't gotten to these tracks yet, but they are ended a mess. Tracks 37-40 have major issues.