Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Ben-Hur

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I received mine today! Thank you S.A.E.!

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Another double post.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

I'll join in and say mine has been delivered to Maryland. Colorful packaging looks great on the music shelf. Now, let's listen. I like the Roman numerals on the discs too.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:15 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

After the first pass through, I have two major impressions:

1. The original tracks sound incredible and are arranged in a much more listener-friendly fashion than the Rhino (example: sequence involving B-H's traipse through the desert, segue to Prince of Peace theme and segue to Roman galley music).

2. MORE MUSIC FROM BEN-HUR (second Kloss album) holds up extremely well, the best of the re-recordings IMO. Really benefits from the enhanced sound quality also.

I confess I have not devoted a lot of time to listening to the alternates and unused tracks, which I basically don't care a whole lot about anyway.

Will be very interested to hear how others feel about the set.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

I just opened mine, but the cover is all screwed up- the back cd cover liner is upside down when you flip it over, How the hell do I fix that?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:21 PM   
 By:   gmontag451   (Member)

Wonderful! I come home from work and guess what my girlfriend has for me? A five course meal? A skimpy outfit? Even better: FSM's Ben Hur!

Magnificent! I'm just playing it now. Words are not sufficient to express how much I love this set!

Question for others who also received Ben Hur: When I put disc one in my Bluray player, which is my usual way of listening to CDs, it skips the first couple notes of track one. (All my previous CDs have played fine.) On my computer, track one plays correctly, but it *does* start *right away* with no absolutely no blank space.

Has anyone else had any weirdness with disc one track one? Just wondering in case my disc is defective.

Michael

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

I just opened mine, but the cover is all screwed up- the back cd cover liner is upside down when you flip it over, How the hell do I fix that?

Very carefully!

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:27 PM   
 By:   gmontag451   (Member)

Remove the CDs and set them aside. On the inside of the back cover, grasp the black plastic hinge bar along the spine and firmly but gently pull up. It should pop out fairly easily. Flip the insert to the correct orientation. Reinsert the hinge bar and tray, pressing down firmly on the ends so they pop in place. Test the hinge and ensure box closes properly, then reinsert CDs.

Michael

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:38 PM   

Remove the CDs and set them aside. On the inside of the back cover, grasp the black plastic hinge bar along the spine and firmly but gently pull up. It should pop out fairly easily. Flip the insert to the correct orientation. Reinsert the hinge bar and tray, pressing down firmly on the ends so they pop in place. Test the hinge and ensure box closes properly, then reinsert CDs.

Michael

Oh, goody! Something fun to look forward to doing.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:47 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Ok, now that people have gotten this...

There's no weird out of place mono tracks in it are there? (Obviously the Quo Vadis track is assumendly in mono and I'd guess the track or two before it).

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 4:51 PM   
 By:   Hopkins&Sterne   (Member)

I'm glad I pre-ordered my copy and chose Express mail (insured). It might actually sell out before mine gets to me in the UK. Are a handful kept back, er, just in case...?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 5:33 PM   
 By:   PHOENIX   (Member)

Anyone who has it. Did you find that Disc III is really hard to get out from the case?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 5:39 PM   

Anyone who has it. Did you find that Disc III is really hard to get out from the case?

Still playing disc 1, but Good God, I can't get it out-

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 5:45 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Not even a shipping notice here yet, despite a prompt order. So I'll listen to the Decca re-recording tonight instead.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 5:57 PM   

I've listened to discs I and II. The best things about them are the sound quality and the absence of those abrupt edits that plagued the Rhino set. A much better listening experience. After editing the outtakes and a few source cues I cut each disc down to about 61 minutes each for a full two hours of score. Another wonderful presentation by FSM.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 6:04 PM   

I've listened to discs I and II. The best things about them are the sound quality and the absence of those abrupt edits that plagued the Rhino set. A much better listening experience. After editing the outtakes and a few source cues I cut each disc down to about 61 minutes each for a full two hours of score. Another wonderful presentation by FSM.

In the Rhino, the difference in quality between the Culver City recordings and the cues recorded in Rome was quite pronounced. Does the new set make the differences less obvious?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 6:05 PM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

Possible interpretations of "it":

1. Your CD player is in love with the music and plays it over and over, and so will not surrender disc 1 when you try to eject it, or

2. You can't get the music "out" of your mind, or

3. You're having difficulty removing the black plastic hinge bar along the spine so that you can reverse the back liner insert, or

... "the race goes on."

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 6:06 PM   

Double post.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 6:09 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

After reading your posts, I gave it a try, and I thought the disc was gonna snap in two! Managed to get it out undamaged, though, thanks to my magical miniature shoehorn.

NP: Disc one

P.S. I've neither seen the film nor heard any previous incarnations of the score, so this is truly a virgin spin, and so far, it is GLORIOUS.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2012 - 6:32 PM   

In the Rhino, the difference in quality between the Culver City recordings and the cues recorded in Rome was quite pronounced. Does the new set make the differences less obvious?

The sound is very consistent from track to track, at least to my ears. I'm lovin' it.