Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Ben-Hur

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:18 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Steve, I volunteer my services. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:22 AM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

Steve, I volunteer my services. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

Yes. I will handle this Monday.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 6:10 AM   
 By:   70mmStereo   (Member)

For all you great individuals who want this set and have to save up for it. Try getting a PayPal account. That's how I started. I had a small credit amount at first and now have a line of credit bumping at 20,000 bucks.
So try that or get a small amount credit card.
Best of luck and enjoy.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 7:32 AM   
 By:   gmontag451   (Member)

Question for others who also received Ben Hur: When I put disc one in my Bluray player, which is my usual way of listening to CDs, it skips the first couple notes of track one. (All my previous CDs have played fine.) On my computer, track one plays correctly, but it *does* start *right away* with no absolutely no blank space.

Has anyone else had any weirdness with disc one track one? Just wondering in case my disc is defective.

I find that frequently happens when I play a CD through a Blu-ray player and stereo system. I'm sure it's absolutely nothing to do with the CD itself. When it does that I just press the skip back button so that it plays from the beginning.

Thank you Doug, for being the one and only poster to acknowledge my question smile Although I do admit it's hard to see amongst all of Steve's ranting.

I've now tried the disc in four players besides the Bluray player and it plays fine in all of them. Guess I'll just need to burn a copy with a little lead time in front. Do they make 6 CD clamshell holders? LOL

So we need a Ben Hur appreciation thread, and just leave this one to Steve and his broken hinge... wink

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 7:47 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

What we got ourselves heah, is a little problem communicatin'.

Now y'all need to unduhstand Steve's sense of humo..ah say, humour.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

Had a lot of trouble extricating CD III, but was finally able to, without apparent damage to it. Then, before putting it back, I broke off one of the little grommet-type things holding it in, so that, after replacing it, it then was able to be removed without difficulty.

I've also had a (minor) issue with the workings of the case more or less coming apart when I open it, and I seem to have to put the whole thing back together every time I check it out.

But, these are small complaints, Luxury Problems, compared to the fact that I FINALLY am holding the complete music to BEN-HUR in my hot, sweating paws....

Love it.

New Mantra:

ThankYouFSMThankYouFSMThankYouFSMThankYouFSM.....

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   w-dervish   (Member)

*duplicate post*

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   w-dervish   (Member)

Steve Johnson: I'm returning the whole damned mess exactly as it sits before me with a two word note -"REPLACE IT!"

gmontag451: Thank you Doug, for being the one and only poster to acknowledge my question. Although I do admit it's hard to see amongst all of Steve's ranting.

Exactly. Why are we still talking about this? He should contact customer service and wait for their reply.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:19 AM   

I have not yet received the set, from this long distance.

My recommendation is to use a simple ruler to ascertain the width of the central spindle hole on the CD. This can be done also using dividers, calipers, or by tracing the centre on a piece of paper using a looser disc as a template.

Now take a regular electric screwdriver, and wind a cylinder of sandpaper around the rotating head, being very careful that the overall diameter of sandpaper/rotating head is equal to that of the circle you have drawn, or the distance between the calipers.

Now, plug in the electric screwdriver, after inserting the rotating head in the hole of disc 3. Switch on the screwdriver. With practice, this can be achieved easily, but do use vaseline or some other suitable lubricant if the fit is tight.

You will find that the diameter of the central hole is now wider, and with luck, your grommets will be uncompromised.

In a small number of cases, the disc will shatter and fragments will be propelled in various directions at a tangent to the plane of your screwdriver's rotation.

In the unlikely event of this latter case, contact SAE and inform them that, despite your very reasonable attempts to improve the situation (you will need to make clear to SAE that no pneumatic drills were employed), the disc is beyond repair. They will, I feel sure, very willingly replace the disc.

Remember to wear protective gloves and glasses at all times during the manoeuvre, and NEVER use vaseline near electrical equipment.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:23 AM   

He should contact customer service and wait for their reply.

By God, yes. And with great humility. Such is the decent way.

Teddy Roosevelt. Now THERE was a man.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:29 AM   

P.S. I should have made clear above that a rubber band will be necessary to hold the sandpaper tightly against the rotating head.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 8:57 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Silly Ben-Hur quotes for those consumed with jewel box complaints ...

Judah:
"It was an accident! I didn't try to break the jewel case. I'm not mad, I'm not a murderer!"

Arrius:
"You know a fleet of clumsy buyers has been breaking FSM's jewel cases. The emperor has honored us with the task of seeking out and replacing them".

Arrius: "Is the box square?"
Judah: "I can't tell..."
Arrius: "Better for us both if it's a Rhino long box".

Messala: "What have you in common with the rabble who make trouble here?"
Judah: "They're my fellow soundtrack buyers. I'm one of them".
Messala: Be wise Judah. It's a download world. If you want to avoid broken cases, you must become part of it".

Ilderim:
"One last thought... there is no law against poorly-made jewel cases. Many are broken".

Messala:
"What do you think you see... the smashed body of a wretched jewel case!"

Judah:
"Now I've returned it, as I swore I would".

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 12:23 PM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

With all the drama over jewel cases, I decided to check mine. Disc 3 was a bit tight on its hub. Then again disc 4 was off its hub face down on that evil disc 3. Some conspiracy I suspect. smile I was expecting the limited edition inverted inlay version and only received the stand version. What is up with that? We need a Congressional investigation....

Did I mention that the jewel case on my Tribute sampler was broken? I shall have visit Willian, John and Anna, as well as that Mark Ford fellow and ask for a new jewel case. Oh wait I have an extra empty case at home.....never mind. smile

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 12:57 PM   
 By:   inVINCible   (Member)

Got my shipping notice on Friday...say's I'll get it tomorrow. Cannot freak'n wait!

Thanks Lukas for your hard work!! smile

Vince

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

With all the drama over jewel cases, I decided to check mine. Disc 3 was a bit tight on its hub. Then again disc 4 was off its hub face down on that evil disc 3. Some conspiracy I suspect. smile I was expecting the limited edition inverted inlay version and only received the stand version. What is up with that? We need a Congressional investigation....

Did I mention that the jewel case on my Tribute sampler was broken? I shall have visit Willian, John and Anna, as well as that Mark Ford fellow and ask for a new jewel case. Oh wait I have an extra empty case at home.....never mind. smile

This is different. I don't HAVE a spare of this peculiar beast.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   Guy   (Member)

Still waiting for mine to arrive...

It looks like it's selling well at SAE which is great for FSM, only 267 left currently, so for those on the fence I wouldn't leave it too long.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:54 PM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

While I wait for mine to arrive (probably another couple of weeks) can I just ask what is probably a very silly question. Regarding the "other" album versions on this I have been reading the online notes and I think I have it worked out. Do I have this right?

Savina: The original album release. Re-recorded.

Kloss I: A second re-recording of the same tracks of the Savina release but with differences and actually conducted by Rozsa himself (albeit not credited)

Kloss II: A kind of "more music from" album featuring additional re-recorded music that was not on Kloss I

Only asking as I've been thinking about how to have this presented in iTunes. If the above is correct then I will have

Album 1: The complete film score + alternatives
Album 2: The Savina album
Album 3: Kloss I & II

Of course.... do I really need the Rhino set now?

Oh and I don't suppose anyone has or knows where to get larger versions of the coverart for the Savina and Kloss I albums? Just thought it would be cool to have those as the covers for the appropriate albums.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 1:55 PM   
 By:   Pete Apruzzese   (Member)

This is different. I don't HAVE a spare of this peculiar beast.

http://www.sleevetown.com/double-cd-case.shtml

Scroll to the bottom. You want the 6-CD case. It's $1.69.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 2:10 PM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Oh and I don't suppose anyone has or knows where to get larger versions of the coverart for the Savina and Kloss I albums? Just thought it would be cool to have those as the covers for the appropriate albums.

You can find them here:

http://retrovinyl.runmovies.eu/2011/02/23/ben-hur-3/#more-4240

http://retrovinyl.runmovies.eu/2010/12/20/ben-hur/#more-2596

Posted:   Feb 26, 2012 - 2:11 PM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

Start at this page and scroll down; there are several pages to go. You will find all three LP covers (and back liners).

http://retrovinyl.runmovies.eu/tag/miklos-rozsa/