Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 1:17 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

As someone who is a big fan of Die Hard scores, it's easy to pick this series. On the other hand, I'm about halfway through this new Lethal Weapon box and it's so terrifically fun ride. Both series' share some similarities and if there's a difference between the two it would be - Lethal Weapon's characters vs. Die Hard's dry wit, LW's extrovert bombast vs DH's more introvert suspense. They're both great, can't choose.

Karol

I agree with Karol, I'm also more familiar with Die Hard and am still discovering the Lethal Weapon scores; So far I've mainly listened to the first two (and I believe I did spot a piece of Die Hard tracked into LW2) and what I've heard so far is excellent! It's still difficult to choose because they are different, also I think Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, even though they are both action, are like comparing apples and oranges, both have their own style and formula.

I also want to say it's great to see these type of threads on the forum, who'd have thunk a couple of years ago the lethal weapon & die hard scores would all get proper releases?

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 3:52 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

I suppose I can listen to all of the three Kamen Die Hard scores without skipping any tracks whereas with Lethal Weapon, I do tend to skip over the bluesy, sax heavy, semi-funky stuff, so Die Hard wins in that respect.

I definitely like the Die Hard scores better by a country mile. Like was said previously (for example the quote above) there is way too much sax and bass/blues-led funk for my taste. There are plenty of tracks from each Lethal Weapon score that I could never hear again and be happy, whereas most all of the Die Hard cues are indispensable to me. I find the sound of the saxophone particularly irritating personally so it spoils a lot of what would be stellar Kamen action and thriller music in the LW scores. I also don't care too much for the comedic Leo Getz type material in the scores. However, the plaintive and contemplative guitar music for Riggs, the phenomenal action music, and the non-sax dramatic music really keep the LW scores quite above average.