Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

double post

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 11:31 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

Definitely slower. I'll click on a thread, and it will take sometimes a few minutes to go there.

Have the same slowness when I want to reply to a thread.

Sometimes the screen goes blank, with an announcement that the site is unavailable.

Haven't had this problem with any other site; so I know it's not a problem with my computer.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2014 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

It has been slow at times but grand.We should though consider it could be our own computers and other things at times. You all have ADOBE FLASH, RIGHT? if you don't things will not work as good.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2014 - 10:54 PM   

This board is doing something very strange now, when I put in a reply on a thread it takes the reply but the thread does not go to the top of the board WHAT NEXT?

Posted:   Jan 24, 2014 - 10:54 PM   

This board is doing something very strange now, when I put in a reply on a thread it takes the reply but the thread does not go to the top of the board WHAT NEXT?

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:04 AM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

Sometimes the screen goes blank, with an announcement that the site is unavailable.

Haven't had this problem with any other site; so I know it's not a problem with my computer.

This has been happening for me for about a week. I get the announcement that the site is unavailable so I go back and repost, then when everything resets, I have double posted. Time to invest money in an update or close the site down?

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:23 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I've posted on a few topics and the posts don't bring the topic to the top, and sometimes they do. There is an arbitrary ghost in this machine.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:28 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Yeah it has been a bit slow, and a bit glitchy... but ... I'm not paying anything to use the forum. So, I can handle it if the site is a bit wobbly at times. It's all good.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:34 AM   

Yeah it has been a bit slow, and a bit glitchy... but ... I'm not paying anything to use the forum. So, I can handle it if the site is a bit wobbly at times. It's all good.

Yes, I agree that I really do not want to have to pay to use this forum, since 75% of what it talked about I have no interest in, but maybe the other labels that use this site could help finance an upgrade.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:41 AM   

...and this amount of time to get this posted

It took 3:40 minutes for my above post to post and right after I posted it I got the :

FSM BOARDS HOMEPAGE

An error has occurred on the site. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The site administrator has automatically been notified by email about this error and we hope to have it rectified shortly.

Click here to return to the previous page, or click here to return to the FSM BOARDS Homepage.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 3:11 PM   

I too am still having a lot of trouble. Sometimes it's OK, other times very slow or even nothing happens. I'll click on a topic, and nothing. I often go to another site etc. then come back here.
Lukas has not responded, maybe he doesn't know? FSM is still a GREAT site, maybe the problem can be found.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 3:35 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

The board needs some serious over-haul and maintenance!

I too am having issues...threads can take forever to load. Then when I post a lot of times I'll have an error and the thread I posted it won't have been bumped up to the top like usual.

Then of course there's the issue the other day where I quoted MV and he had a picture and the board had really screwed up. The next thing I know I had 6 duplicate posts..it was annoying to edit all of them!

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 3:50 PM   
 By:   Ian J.   (Member)

Things I'd like to know about this forum:

1. I'm presuming the forum software was custom written as there is no indication of a software development house being involved, so is/are there still developers who are available to work on the code to fix problems? I wouldn't mind betting that the software wasn't written to take account of the length of posts and number of people posting here.

2. What are the specs of the server the forum is running on? Again, I wouldn't mind betting that it's not all that powerful. Also what kind of bandwidth is available to it?

3. What are the options for change? It's obvious the board is struggling. What can we as board members do to help out?

4. Would we trade the board's familiarity for something new being run by someone else somewhere else?

5. Would Lukas be willing to close down or freeze this board if a replacement operation could take over, and would we as members be willing to transition lock, stock and barrel to a new place?

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 5:09 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

.....Things I'd like to know about this forum:

1. I'm presuming the forum software was custom written as there is no indication of a software development house being involved, so is/are there still developers who are available to work on the code to fix problems? I wouldn't mind betting that the software wasn't written to take account of the length of posts and number of people posting here.

2. What are the specs of the server the forum is running on? Again, I wouldn't mind betting that it's not all that powerful. Also what kind of bandwidth is available to it?

3. What are the options for change? It's obvious the board is struggling. What can we as board members do to help out?

4. Would we trade the board's familiarity for something new being run by someone else somewhere else?

5. Would Lukas be willing to close down or freeze this board if a replacement operation could take over, and would we as members be willing to transition lock, stock and barrel to a new place?.....

Ian J.....it seems to me there are four more crucial questions to be asked:

6. Though it seemed to be a good decision at the time and brought him a positive increase in consumers for his CD wares, did Lukas' FSM representation at the Comic Con convention in San Diego in July, 2009 where he delivered STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN to a brand new audience previously unaware of FSM, also bring an extraordinary number of new members to the FSM Board, many of whom had an interest in film soundtracks but only in a very narrowly limited genre area?

7. Now that Lukas is out of the CD production business as his own entity, is it a logical business model for him to continue to spend his own good money after bad in keeping a forum going long after it ceases to financially benefit him in some concrete way?

8. Are the problems of the FSM Board simply mechanical ones which might be resolved, or are they the internal and eternal problems of a growing number of posters who appear to lack real communication skills and have lots of apparent anger at many issues.

9. Is it time for the FSM Board to close down FOREVER, and remain simply a memory of a wonderful era of film music appreciation in the minds of those who partook of and contributed to the best of the Board?

I've been on this Board for nearly 12 years now.....longer than some, not as long as others.....and in that time I've shared information from my life experiences and work, and issued positive endorsements on the comments of some, and brickbats on the comments of others. Over those years I've enjoyed the style, the writing and the information contributed by many, have been embarrassed by the posts of others, and in the process made many, many new friends, and, I suppose, a few unknown enemies too. Though I've met very few of you, I've admired many of you from afar, and feel we are friends in some great internet enterprise. For years I always enjoyed coming here.

But, in recent years, I've been questioning myself on why I remain here. Is it out of habit or to glean some new tidbit of information that adds to my knowledge of the subject at hand or is it the comraderie or family qualities we sometimes seem to exhibit?

What are my motives anymore?

While we still have a number of posters who are literate, write in an interesting fashion, and contribute valuable information---and I read them first and value them highly---many of these same kinds people I used to read regularly, and whose words I treasured, have now
disappeared, or they now post only very rarely. I can't help thinking that they have given up, or moved on---either from annoyance at the directions the board has taken, or from disappointment, or simple boredom.

We used to have a lot more threads which were actually interesting---threads to which many knowledgeable people contributed and who were passionate about their thoughts and ideas and expressions. They were often leavened with humor, low OR high-brow. It didn't matter.
People seemed to be having a good time in filmmusic conversation.

Much as I've loved the FSM Board of the past, I'm not sure I'll follow it into a new future.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 5:43 PM   

I don't know what's going on with the board now, I am getting on the spot traffic reports from North Korea.[ha-ha]

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 5:44 PM   

delete.

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:02 PM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

facebook is all messed up too and photobucket.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 7:39 PM   

to ZOOBA- REPENT, REPENT IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD-WHAT MOVIE IS THAT FROM

Posted:   Jan 25, 2014 - 8:06 PM   

.....Things I'd like to know about this forum:

5. Would Lukas be willing to close down or freeze this board if a replacement operation could take over, and would we as members be willing to transition lock, stock and barrel to a new place?.....

Ian J.....it seems to me there are four more crucial questions to be asked:

6. Though it seemed to be a good decision at the time and brought him a positive increase in consumers for his CD wares, did Lukas' FSM representation at the Comic Con convention in San Diego in July, 2009 where he delivered STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN to a brand new audience previously unaware of FSM, also bring an extraordinary number of new members to the FSM Board, many of whom had an interest in film soundtracks but only in a very narrowly limited genre area?

7. Now that Lukas is out of the CD production business as his own entity, is it a logical business model for him to continue to spend his own good money after bad in keeping a forum going long after it ceases to financially benefit him in some concrete way?

8. Are the problems of the FSM Board simply mechanical ones which might be resolved, or are they the internal and eternal problems of a growing number of posters who appear to lack real communication skills and have lots of apparent anger at many issues.

9. Is it time for the FSM Board to close down FOREVER, and remain simply a memory of a wonderful era of film music appreciation in the minds of those who partook of and contributed to the best of the Board?

I've been on this Board for nearly 12 years now.....longer than some, not as long as others.....and in that time I've shared information from my life experiences and work, and issued positive endorsements on the comments of some, and brickbats on the comments of others. Over those years I've enjoyed the style, the writing and the information contributed by many, have been embarrassed by the posts of others, and in the process made many, many new friends, and, I suppose, a few unknown enemies too. Though I've met very few of you, I've admired many of you from afar, and feel we are friends in some great internet enterprise. For years I always enjoyed coming here.

But, in recent years, I've been questioning myself on why I remain here. Is it out of habit or to glean some new tidbit of information that adds to my knowledge of the subject at hand or is it the comraderie or family qualities we sometimes seem to exhibit?

What are my motives anymore?

While we still have a number of posters who are literate, write in an interesting fashion, and contribute valuable information---and I read them first and value them highly---many of these same kinds people I used to read regularly, and whose words I treasured, have now
disappeared, or they now post only very rarely. I can't help thinking that they have given up, or moved on---either from annoyance at the directions the board has taken, or from disappointment, or simple boredom.

We used to have a lot more threads which were actually interesting---threads to which many knowledgeable people contributed and who were passionate about their thoughts and ideas and expressions. They were often leavened with humor, low OR high-brow. It didn't matter.
People seemed to be having a good time in filmmusic conversation.

Much as I've loved the FSM Board of the past, I'm not sure I'll follow it into a new future.

#7 ...... While Lukas no longer has FSM CDs, he is still a co-producer for many CDs on Intrada, LLL, Kritzerland etc. So he is still in the CD producer business and these CDs are discussed on this Message Board. I like to read the comments of others on various CDs and sometimes it's a positive influence on me to purchase a CD I was hesitant about.

Manderley, don't leave this message board. I always enjoy your very interesting and knowledgeable comments and your wonderful sense of humor. smile

Posted:   Jan 26, 2014 - 4:25 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

I'm with PFK. Don't give up on us, manderley!

I think that people are drifting away from message boards and discussion forums in general. In some cases it's because the novelty has worn off now with the plethora of other forms of virtual communication (ha!), and in other cases because some of us veterans have posted so much throughout the years that we end up just repeating ourselves - but each time with less words and less enthusiasm, which is a pity.

But I still love this place, recent glitches n'all. It's not the centre of my existence anymore (like it was in the past), but that's not in itself a bad thing.

Long Live the FSM Message Board and All Who Sail in Her!