Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   Brandon Brown   (Member)

From my own experience, when the music is good, more is never too much!

^Exactly.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

2 discs is *usually* too much, dont tell me about 3!

and when thay fill them with all those useless alternate tracks... oh well.

but is the time we're living. 20 years ago I disliked those 30-min long Varese releases... Now I find equally harder to enjoy those 95-min-plus-alternates 2-cd DELUXE editions.

and I dont like iTunes or edit my own albums. I just put my CD ON and let it play! Is that so old fashioned??

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 3:03 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

Short answer; yes they are! 30-45 minutes are enough for most scores. But - 1/the third disc is usually the LP program, & - 2/I like to load everything into the ipod & slowly over time, delete tracks that I don't like or never play, that way I end up with the perfect album edited just for me.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

2 discs is *usually* too much, dont tell me about 3!

and when thay fill them with all those useless alternate tracks... oh well.

but is the time we're living. 20 years ago I disliked those 30-min long Varese releases... Now I find equally harder to enjoy those 95-min-plus-alternates 2-cd DELUXE editions.

and I dont like iTunes or edit my own albums. I just put my CD ON and let it play! Is that so old fashioned??

In this day and age, yeah, that kind of is old-fashioned. With the resources available to the common film score fan (deluxe 3-disc releases with complete score and alternates galore, personalized iTunes playlists, and CD-R burning capabilities or iPods for personalized listening enjoyment), I'd say we're living in a golden age for our particular pastime. To have all the cues from your favorite film scores (when made available) at your disposal and the means to edit them down to your own perfect listening experience...I mean, wow. BUT, for those who prefer things the old-fashioned way, yes, I can see how having to listen to a single score across multiple discs and also have multiple alternates, many of which are perhaps very similar to cues you've just recently listened to, tacked onto the end, would be a less than ideal way to enjoy your favorite score. Again, however, there are other possibilities out there, and if you're an old (or young) dog willing to learn new tricks and take advantage of them, you can enjoy hearing your favorite scores in ways you might never have dreamt possible some 20 or so years ago.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 3:13 PM   
 By:   filmsonwax   (Member)

It depends on the score and how much you care about the original album, considering that's often the third disc. I don't have many, but TMP is essential, and I'm happy with CONAN because the Milan assembly is an excellent brisk listen. But I agree that some score albums today are a bit too long anyway - there have been some lately where the music is good, but over seventy minutes outstays its welcome.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 4:00 PM   

well, @Tango, 20 years ago I had a SKIP/NEXT CUE botton in my cd player, it's not groundbreaking to XX I century to just listen to favourite cues... Just prefer some kind of an album presentation more, an art sometimes I think it's lost (sorry if I sound like mr. Thor but....)

hear those new Varese releases (Ottman, Tyler...) with +70 min of "music" and... Oh my God!

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 4:21 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

Frankly, I think the number of discs necessary to showcase a score depends on the score.

Star Trek TMP obviously benefits from the LLLR 3 CD treatment.

The Great Escape does also, with the complete score on 2 CDs, and the original album takes on the third, though in a way that one is essentially 2 albums bundled together.

It really comes down to the total time of the material that is being presented.

For a complete presentation, the length of the score, plus the length of the important alternates, dictates the number of discs necessary to present the score on CD.

Planet of the Apes, due to the wealth of significantly different alternates between the score in the film and the OST, dictates the third disc.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2014 - 4:45 PM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

With digital technology the way it is, why would you want less ? If you don't like it you can skip over it or make your own listening experience. A double disc (or triple) is more expensive to buy, but again if you don't like it then don't buy it. The free market system (capitalism) does work and it gives the company (the owner) the right to spend their money how they see fit. The market will dictate or go out of business. It also promotes personal responsibility and a work ethic. Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness. Remember the 30 minutes or less of music you got on an 80 minute CD ? If all they can do is 30 minutes, again I have the choice to buy or not buy, but I would rather have too much than not enough (especially when I am paying the same price if I get 30 minutes or 80).

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 4:21 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Well, I've kind of changed my mind on this over the years. I used to think that, in many cases, even 40 minutes is too long, but it does of course depend on the score. An aesthetically pleasing listen from beginning to end would be David Shire's THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123. All said and done in a tight 30 mins. Imagine if it was discovered that he had planned to score the remainder of the film with cues made up of subtle drones lasting in total 45 mins, and an enterprising label puts out a new release with the droning in its rightful place. Do we now have an even better (75 min) album which we can edit down to the original half-hour Retrograde/ FSM release? Or is it now a mere annoyance? I know, that was an extreme case, and very hypothetical.

No, I wouldn't want a 3-disc PELHAM, or a 75 min one. I still dislike the idea of making "my" versions of score releases, so I don't waste time doing that. What I have found myself doing recently is paring down the amount of time I listen to scores. Due to the nature of the beast, it would be very strange if a complete soundtrack release worked at all as a lengthy symphony. Some do, most don't. But I don't think they were ever really supposed to be listened to in that way. So what I do now is, with the scores which don't hold my attention from beginning to end, listen to them closely in bearable chunks of... however long is right for me. Before, I used to think that listening to a CD was like going to the cinema, and I'd be stuck there for two and a half hours in some cases. Nooooo! Now I take it easy, dip in, and savour the music in varying doses. Whatever seems right. I still listen to them in CD order (no playlists, as I mentioned), and it's amazing when I "retake" a CD from where I left off the day before. Sometimes the first track of the day is a revelation, because I'd lost concentration on previous attempts to take it all in at once.

In some ways it's a bit like studying a huge painting. There's a lot of detail there, and it can be overwhelming. Now I zoom in and examine the different pieces of the jigsaw, to see how they stand up individually, but also to understand how they contribute to the whole.

So, Kev, quick summary - Are 3 Discs too much for any score? For the vast majority of scores yes, of course. For really great lengthy scores rich in detail, not necessarily. But never as a marathon listen/ chore.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 5:26 AM   
 By:   djintrepid   (Member)

I hardly ever have the time to sit through the whole three disc version of a album. My favorite of the three disc sets I own is the Conan. I loved how they set it up. Original album plus the complete score. I am still debating if it's worth paying for the five disc version of Ben Hur?

I actually recently bought the Ben-Hur set and I love it. The way it is laid out is great and easily editable if you are into that sort of thing. The sound quality of the original score is incredible for its age.

I also don't think 3 discs is too much, as long as what is being offered is of a variety and not chock full of redundancies.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 5:30 AM   

in 4-hour movies you have more margin... smile

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 5:47 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

There are some 1-disc albums that I feel are a bit long, and some 2-, 3-, 4-disc albums that I wish were longer (even though almost certainly no further music exists).

My general feeling is: the more music the better, but reality (time, concentration) usually means that I end up listening to selections anyway.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 6:33 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

It really depends... I mean, in most cases, these 3-Disc releases are not designed to be listened through from disc 1 to 3. Usually, they contain alternates, demos, different edits, etc.
Whether that is of interest is up to you. Personally, I do find alternates and demos often very interesting, but they are usually not part of the regular listening experience, they are more something that is explored on its own, not unlike outtakes and extras on a DVD/Blu Ray.

I am usually not too keen on making my own playlists etc. I prefer to put in a disc (say on my home stereo) and let it play from beginning to end. Or, if there are two or more pieces on a disc (say, two film scores, or two symphonies), I usually listen to at least one of those items completely through. And I don't mind longer scores (heck, I'm used to Mahler symphonies) if the development is there. I recently listened to the full EL CID (two CDS) from Tadlow, and there isn't a slacker in those notes, it is pure Rozsa magic. But that is a score -- like the STAR WARS scores -- where everything falls into place and there is little actual repetition.

Take the expanded STAR TREK - THE MOTION PICTURE. As a listening experience, the expanded Sony album and the LaLaLand score are pretty much the same. The LaLaLand added some nifty cues (and the Steiner stuff), but as far as a smooth, self contained listening experience goes, the expanded Sony release was easily just as good. And the extras are just that, extras. I mean, I'm certainly happy to have the early and ultimately discarded cues Goldsmith composed for the film, as they are quite beautiful, but I usually don't listen to them in the context of the full score.

Film scores that are actually spread out on three discs... I can think only of THE LORD OF THE RINGS scores right now with that kind of length, all the other scores that I know fit on two discs (with the third one containing alternates etc.). And THE LORD OF THE RNGS scores certainly hold up well. They are like a Wagner opera. I mean, PARSIFAL or TRISTAN AND ISOLDE are easily three to four hours long each, so yeah, that's long listening. One doesn't always have to listen to the entire thing but in those cases I still like the option of deciding for myself which section of the music I want to explore via listening.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 6:46 AM   
 By:   bdm   (Member)

Add another one into the "Depends on the score" category.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 6:50 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

One, two, three, four, five -- as long as the score is good, I don't care how many discs it has.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

You can't answer yes or no to this question - sorry, Kev. Four hours of Shostakovich, Morricone or John Barry is rarely enough. Four minutes of some other composers is sometimes too much.

TG

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 3:46 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

I would like to hear from the people here that own The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 3CD set. I saw the movie and thought the music was not good and then the composer releases a 3 CD set? I would not buy 1 CD of this score. Was that release too long. I thought it would be good, because I like what I heard in The Social Network.

Totally agree...it's a pretty dull listen. I bought it not having seen the film and found each of the 3 CDs massively underwhelming. Might be good in the film and I'm quite happy to listen to the 'sound design' style score if it's well done, but for my money this wasn't. Really disappointed that these two seem to be David Fincher's go-to composers now.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 4:14 PM   
 By:   samlowry   (Member)

The issue with scores over 3 cd's is that they will inevitably be somewhat repetitious. So as many here are doing, you create your own playlist... Now I don't know how long it takes any one of you to sort through all the tracks, compare the various alternates, make a pre-selection, a final one and then also possibly have to decide in which order to re-arrange the tracks... but to me this is a lot of WORK!

And if time is money, now on top of the $30 or so I spent purchasing the score, I've got to add at least a couple more hours (worth quite some $, considering what my hourly fee is when I work) to "create" the album I really want... which of course this is in addition to the constant avalanche of scores being released regularly that I don't have the time to listen to.

So unless one is retired with all the time in the world, "managing" 3 cd sets for the active professional is just a burden more than anything else, regardless of how great the music is.

Maybe someone should start a post "how much time do you devote to music listening on a daily basis?"

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 4:19 PM   

The issue with scores over 3 cd's is that they will inevitably be somewhat repetitious. So as many here are doing, you create your own playlist... Now I don't know how long it takes any one of you to sort through all the tracks, compare the various alternates, make a pre-selection, a final one and then also possibly have to decide in which order to re-arrange the tracks... but to me this is a lot of WORK!

And if time is money, now on top of the $30 or so I spent purchasing the score, I've got to add at least a couple more hours (worth quite some $, considering what my hourly fee is when I work) to "create" the album I really want... which of course this is in addition to the constant avalanche of scores being released regularly that I don't have the time to listen to.

So unless one is retired with all the time in the world, "managing" 3 cd sets for the active professional is just a burden more than anything else, regardless of how great the music is.

Maybe someone should start a post "how much time do you devote to music listening on a daily basis?"

True to a point, but one thing you must consider:

- If there is less of the score presented, would you be short changing customer's out of those alternates, or extra cues?

Many of us here like having the score complete, and in some cases, the scores actually support this.

Star Trek TMP is an often stated example of this.

One cannot have it both ways.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2014 - 4:19 PM   

True to a point, but one thing you must consider:

- If there is less of the score presented, would you be short changing customer's out of those alternates, or extra cues?

Many of us here like having the score complete, and in some cases, the scores actually support this.

Star Trek TMP is an often stated example of this.

One cannot have it both ways.