Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Maybe things have changed over the years, but, at least according to the liners of La La Land's GODZILLA, Arnold has a high opinion of Emmerich and would welcome another collaboration.

I've said in the past that an INDEPENDENCE DAY sequel is a bad idea, but hiring Arnold would be a step in the right direction.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 12:34 PM   
 By:   GustavoJoseph   (Member)

Last sunday I asked Mr Arnold about the sequel to ID4 on Twitter and he replied that he's assuming Harold Kloser will do it, since no one has contacted him yet.

I can't remember a single note from any Emmerich movie since Williams' The Patriot.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 12:41 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

2012 was pure torture for me and I have zero faith in Emmerich to make something fun and entertaining.

Having said that, David Arnold's participation would certainly help!

Posted:   Apr 19, 2015 - 11:53 PM   
 By:   townerbarry   (Member)

Arnold was *rejected* from "The Patriot?" Source?

I don't know that anybody has ever confirmed how much score he wrote and recorded, but Arnold was attached to the project, and then replaced by Williams. This was well-known back in 2000.

This is from the Reject Score Website. I think Arnold turned in Samples and What Nots. I have always heard...that Mel Gibson wanted Johnny Williams..That River Connection.

+THE PATRIOT -- David Arnold. Arnold wrote & recorded hand full of original demos with a real, full orchestra (on top of writing a full score). Arnold was hired early on, as one of the producers (Dean Devlin) had wanted to work on a project with him again. Arnold says, in a 2001 interview with Soundtrack! magazine that budgetary problems from going over budget, started to lead to some uneasiness and he was asked if he still wanted to do it and eventually was asked to submit demos first (which had not previously happened in their collaborations). Meanwhile one of the other producers whom had worked with Williams, was telling everybody they could get Williams and the studio put out calls to Williams and Horner. Arnold says he sent them the demo and almost immediately that day, they came back and said it wasn't working out and that they were getting Williams; Arnold speculates there must have been more going on behind the scenes for this to have happened so quickly. He also said the demo he sent, was one of the best things he had ever done, though he didn't feel insulted Williams was the final composer. INFO (coming). [Harold Kloser.]
THE PATRIOT -- Harold Kloser. In an interview he said he did some, but Roland didn't like them. [John Williams - CD.

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 7:35 AM   
 By:   geert custers   (Member)

The stupidity of these kind of movies is only surpassed by the bombastic, wall-to-wall, meaningless sounds by Arnold, Zimmer and the like. If there exists one example of the extinction of film music as an art, it's this kind of score.

Geert

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 7:35 AM   
 By:   geert custers   (Member)

The stupidity of these kind of movies is only surpassed by the bombastic, wall-to-wall, meaningless sounds by Arnold, Zimmer and the like. If there exists one example of the extinction of film music as an art, it's this kind of score.

Geert

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 7:45 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

I have to giggle. ID4 v1 represented everything I hate about the modern action dumbluster. Sorry, I meant to type "blockbuster".

I'd be willing to bet ID4 v2 will represent everything I hate about modern action dumbluster sequels.

But, it's a bit harsh to slate a film that isn't even made yet!

Cheers

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Love the film and I dig Emmerich in general, so wouldn't mind a sequel in the same spirit -- even though that kind of action aesthetic is a bit dated these days.

Of course, I would also have wanted Arnold to return, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen for a variety of reasons.

While I'm not into bombastic music anymore (of any kind), I have a soft spot for those I loved during my late teens and early 20s. This was one of those, even if I've always found it somewhat cumbersome to get through -- and that's the original album I'm talking about, not the expansion (I'm just assuming there's an expansion).

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 8:18 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Love the film and I dig Emmerich in general, so wouldn't mind a sequel in the same spirit -- even though that kind of action aesthetic is a bit dated these days.

Of course, I would also have wanted Arnold to return, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen for a variety of reasons.

While I'm not into bombastic music anymore (of any kind), I have a soft spot for those I loved during my late teens and early 20s. This was one of those, even if I've always found it somewhat cumbersome to get through -- and that's the original album I'm talking about, not the expansion (I'm just assuming there's an expansion).

I agree, the movie is comic book styled pulp fun and it'd be great for Arnold to return. Maybe given the connection to the original film they'd bring him back ( my hazy memory tells me there was a Devlin quote somewhere saying Arnold would be part of the team, but I have absolutely no recollection of when and where it was said...IF it was said ).

And there sure is some full on nutjob BS going on in this thread, some folks really need to lighten up and find some way to enjoy life and stop being douchebags big grin

Posted:   Apr 21, 2015 - 11:36 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I can tell you who's not going to be back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHKAEyp4do

Posted:   Aug 14, 2015 - 8:31 PM   
 By:   Oscarilbo   (Member)

I just cannot believe it! Harald Closer has and Thomas Wanker has been listed as ID4 sequel composers in IMDB!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why?????

Really does Roland Emmerich can't see they are just mediocre ??? that part of the identity (thus succes) of ID4 was Arnold's thematic music?

What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really really angry right now!

Are they have some kind of a pact or something? Damn!!!!

Posted:   Aug 14, 2015 - 9:44 PM   
 By:   johnmullin   (Member)

Maybe Arnold is too busy _not scoring_ the next James Bond movie to fit this into his schedule?

Posted:   Aug 14, 2015 - 10:08 PM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

I just cannot believe it! Harald Closer has and Thomas Wanker has been listed as ID4 sequel composers in IMDB!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why?????

Really does Roland Emmerich can't see they are just mediocre ??? that part of the identity (thus succes) of ID4 was Arnold's thematic music?

What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really really angry right now!

Are they have some kind of a pact or something? Damn!!!!

I think that Emmerich just like to work with them. People continue to work together because they like to collaborate, whether they work in the film industry or whatever line of work they have, that`s quite natural.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2015 - 10:15 PM   
 By:   Oscarilbo   (Member)

I think that Emmerich just like to work with them. People continue to work together because they like to collaborate, whether they work in the film industry or whatever line of work they have, that`s quite natural.

Of course I understand that. But at the expense of quality??? I mean, common he must have released he is much less talented than David Arnold. Unless is Emmerich himself who is preventing Kloser to show up his true thematic capabillities with music by telling him "no big themes" or something, which I trully dont think so.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 12:06 AM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Of course I understand that. But at the expense of quality??? I mean, common he must have released he is much less talented than David Arnold. Unless is Emmerich himself who is preventing Kloser to show up his true thematic capabillities with music by telling him "no big themes" or something, which I trully dont think so.

It's pretty obvious that Emmerich doesn't give a shit about big themes in his movies anymore or he'd ask for them. He seems more than content to let Kloser and Wanker load his films with musical wallpaper that does the bare minimum necessary to support the picture.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   jamesdrax   (Member)

As filmmakers, Roland and I treasure David Arnold's talent and dedication. This is our second film with Mr. Arnold and we look forward to continuing this fruitful collaboration for years and years to come.

- Dean Devlin, CD booklet note, 1996.

So much for that.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Just had a pretty damned good source confirm that Harald Closer is scoring it.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 12:49 AM   
 By:   jamesdrax   (Member)

He seems more than content to let Kloser and Wanker load his films with musical wallpaper that does the bare minimum necessary to support the picture.

And yet they struggle to deliver just that.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 1:00 AM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

Just had a pretty damned good source confirm that Harald Closer is scoring it.

Ford A. Thaxton

Wow. Shattered. Why. Just...why.

I mean, I'm sure ID4-2 really won't be that great of a movie (happy to be proven wrong, but let's be realistic here), but I was looking forward to this for only two reasons: the return of Goldblum and the return of Arnold to mainstream cinema. My excitement for this film has just been hewn down by 50%. Which is a lot.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2015 - 1:18 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

This thread is a funny read;

This movie came out when I was in my early teens and it was the summer event of that year and you couldn't miss it, it was everywhere; the marketing machine was strong with this one with everything from collectible sticker books to McDonald's meals to even a fake documentary piece that got shown prior to the movie's release on tv. This was when internet was still more or less video free and so every snippet you got to see of this movie was a reason to rush to the tv set. The Alien invasion hype was also at its biggest in the X-files wake.

When I finally got to see it, I really thought it was an exciting special effects ride with just about enough heart in it and really loved this movie. It was cool. This was also when blockbusters still delivered. Seeing it today, it has been copied and recycled so much it has lost some of its magic but it's still a fun movie. The score for me is more serviceable in the movie then it is as a separate listening experience. I've never been the biggest David Arnold fan but this is probably one of his few scores that I can connect with simply because of the association with the movie.

In regards to David Arnold returning, I have to wonder. Do people want Arnold to return as much as they want Williams to return for Star Wars? The answer is no. Nobody cares about David Arnold. People just want to see Will Smith and possible Jeff Goldblum return, but it's mostly the fresh prince. They don't want to see Hitch, Agent J or Hancock return, no they want the fresh prince. That show is still being run on tv here.

You just know they are going to media venture the shit out of any sequel at this point.