Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:27 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

If some of you can read and understand a bit of french it will be very easy to understand it's true...

Je parle un peu de Française, et c'est vrai!

(That's about as much as I can muster after all those years of French in school!)

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

If some of you can read and understand a bit of french it will be very easy to recognize it's true...

I can understand enough of it to say it seems to be true - much as I don't want it to be.

In any case, thank you so much for all the great music you've given us, classics that will stand the test of time, eternally ingrained in our popular culture. Also thank you for putting Jean Michel Jarre into this world, one of my absolute favourite musicians. My thoughts go out to him in this hour, and the rest of his family.

Adieu, maestro.

My sentiments exactly. Well said, Thor.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:29 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Let me add that I'm saddened to read about Jarre's passing. He was not always a favorite composer of mine, but in these days of cookie-cutter scores, there was a man whose work was absolutely his own and sounded like nobody else's. I've come to admire that more, lately.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   zippy   (Member)

Very sad news.

I found a copy (Lp) of "Le Faussaire" yesterday.
This will be played in honor of a truly extraordinary composer.

I'm aware some people here do not care for his music. Would it be asking too much if you remained silent, please?

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   Jake   (Member)

there was a man whose work was absolutely his own and sounded like nobody else's. I've come to admire that more, lately.

No truer words were spoken !

A great artist an a true gentleman. Very sad news.

I had the pleasure and honor of conducting an interview with Maurice in 2002 for the Milan DVD of his tribute concert to David Lean.

It was a day I shall never forget whose memories I shall treasure. At 78 Maurice displayed a vigour and an enthusiasm belying his age.

Salut, l'artiste...

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   Michael Arlidge   (Member)

Um… Michael Arlidge, who asked for the confirmation, is Australian, posting from Brisbane.

I do find it odd that anybody would be so cynical about reports that an 84-year-old has died.

I don't give a stuff what you think.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:40 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I don't give a stuff what you think.

I'll drink to that sentiment. The loss of Maurice Jarre is enormous, no matter his age. Not only did he do a classic score for David Lean every single time they worked together (something that I think can only be said for a handful of other creative team-ups in the history of film), but he also wrote one of the best damned action scores I've ever heard - Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Despite the fact the movie is rather weak fare in its last third, Jarre's music raises it several notches (bars?).

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:41 PM   
 By:   Southall   (Member)

Very sad news. Rest in peace. One of the greats.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:47 PM   

Better late than never, I guess:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

I think I'll listen to "Sunshine" (my favourite Jarre score) first, and then if that doesn't leave me in a state I'll move on to the other scores of his that I have in my collection. And tonight I'll watch his 'Tribute to David Lean' concert DVD.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

Sad news indeed. There's been a wonderful run of Jarre releases in the last year or so -- Intrada's Shogun and Fires Within; FSM's album of concert works ... we've been quite fortunate. I'll be playing a few this afternoon in the great man's memory. May he rest in peace.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:49 PM   
 By:   Ratatouille   (Member)

How silly french medias who can't wait to get the news from english speaking's one...

Monsieur Jarre, it was an honor to spoke with you in Ghent...

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:50 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Very sorry to hear this. He did have a great career writing some iconic scores llike Lawrence Of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.

I'm playing The Professionals right now.

Here's to you, Maurice.

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:56 PM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Just got the news on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 4:57 PM   

I'm not on your ignore list by any chance, Niall?razz

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:07 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I just put on my Lean By Jarre DVD. Heres to you, sir.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:18 PM   
 By:   cushinglee   (Member)

Building the f***g Barn, man.

Great piece. Great composer.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

I'll have to give Maurice Jarre's Doctor Zhivago score another spin sometime in remembrance of him.

Rest In Peace. You will be missed.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:37 PM   
 By:   Stefan Miklos   (Member)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hAnHzoUW1xwLtJio7wS-MKOonWgw

http://cinema.encyclopedie.personnalites.bifi.fr/index.php?pk=47814

http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/4112675/Le-compositeur-Maurice-Jarre-est-mort.html

RYAN'S DAUGHTER
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iuwm_la-fille-de-ryan-trailer_shortfilms

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:40 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

This is so tacky and depressing that an obituary to a beloved composer should so be cheapened by infantile bickering and crass one-upmanship about nothing at all.

This is the man who gave us 'Lawrence of Arabia' and for that one score alone, let alone all the others, he's earned his way.

This is very sad. (And the first idiotic nerd who quips that he was in his '80s as though that somehow mollifies something can just think first before they vomit.)

His style was always distinctively French, and he was unique. When he used his beloved percussion, he could still be unique, and that's a talent. When he described Paris under the Nazis, as he did in several films, he was pure genius.

What a loss. I wasn't expecting this, even though he appeared in that wheelchair. He won't really get to hear the new definitive Tadlow of 'Lawrence' when it emerges. The grim reaper seems particularly callous of late.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2009 - 5:50 PM   
 By:   workingwithknives   (Member)

I was thinking just today about my favorite score from Maurice Jarre, "The Collector".

Rest in peace!