Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

I have no animosity against this song and can't understand yours.
Beautiful lyrics and Hill performance.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Yeah.., lots of opinions. But can someone please explain *what's* actually wrong with the lyrics?

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 10:08 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Yeah.., lots of opinions. But can someone please explain *what's* actually wrong with the lyrics?

The melody sells the pathos of the character; no words required. Those lyrics--heck, *any* lyrics now that I think about it--are IMO completely unneccessary. The sappy vocal style of Dan "Sometimes When We Touch" Hill makes it all the worse. The addition of lyrics to a brilliant Goldsmith composition--were the lyrics were written first? I don't care--spoils the music. If Goldsmith wrote that theme for the words, then the words should've been jettisoned.

My opinions, of course.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 10:09 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Exactly my sentiment. As long as the voice is ok, I never mind stupid lyrics (as long as they are not in German).

To us in Norway, German lyrics can be quite poetic in all its harshness, such as Rammstein or Herbert Grönemeyer, two favourites of mine. But again, it's the SOUND of it rather than what they say.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 10:09 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Oh, I certainly don't consider it amongst the worst lyrics to a Goldsmith melody... Much more banal and embarrassing are all those lyrics for his (great) Love Themes. Maybe RAMBO gets the worse reputation because we're not supposed to like sentimental songs about the pain and heartache of "a bloody war criminal" (not my words).

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

The Frank Stallone song for part II is easily the worst song in a Rambo movie. I know "It's A Long Road" is cheesy, but I can't help but like it.

How can you hate a song that has lyrics like this:

It's a real war
Right outside your
front door I tell ya
Out where they'll kill ya
You could use a friend

and

Where the road is
That's the place for me
Where I'm me in my own space
Where I'm free that's the place
I wanna be

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:04 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

But again, it's the SOUND of it rather than what they say.

I'm usually okay with weak lyrics, unless they're really, really awful. (Sadly, I think most of Leslie Bricusse's lyrics for John Williams songs fall into that category. "Here I am like a kid out of school, holding hands with a god! I'm a fool." Or "Santa is here again, yes!" Lyrics like those are ruinous.)

But great lyrics -- Gershwin, Porter, Sondheim, and others -- those elevate a tune exponentially. A smart, intricate, witty, or emotional lyric is an art you don't see that much of anymore, but when I hear one, it is a thrill that the mere sound of a voice cannot deliver. Sure, I can appreciate a song in a foreign language where I don't understand a single word, but great lyrics in my native language are a thing of beauty.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:08 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Good tune. Decent lyrics. Perhaps the choice of Hill as singer is what gives the song a slightly anachronistic tinge. But perhaps that was the intention all along.

What we should do is find the cloth-eared nincompoop that decided a smelly old Diane Warren cheese-slice should be made into the theme for "ST: Enterprise", and string them up!

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   wayoutwest   (Member)

Ah, sometimes it's a blessing when English isn't your mother tongue. You still understand the lyrics, but it's easier to just ignore them when you want to.

Curiously, I listen to lots of rock & pop, but I've never really been very lyrics-oriented. It's all about the music to me. Lyrics are usually just oral sounds that carry the melody line.

Exactly my sentiment. As long as the voice is ok, I never mind stupid lyrics (as long as they are not in German).

I'm with you guys. wink

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

We're lucky stallone didn't sing it himself big grin

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:13 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I've always liked the song. No problem with it. Of course, the strength of the melody makes up for the cheesiness of the performance, but to me, it's just FIRST BLOOD.
As Graham says, there are far worse songs/lyrics that have been put to his music.
I hate THE PIPER DREAMS for instance, now THAT'S a bad song to me!!
And I think THE CASSANDRA CROSSING has got a duff song too.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

Since I am used to lyrics that get quite stupid on Morricone songs, usually from Italian lyricists trying to work in English, I find the FIRST BLOOD lyrics and performance fits the theme and film quite well.
I never quite get these complaints. Are you like Thor where you refuse to program out or skip this one cut on an album?

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:22 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

I never quite get these complaints. Are you like Thor where you refuse to program out or skip this one cut on an album?

I think his point is that hearing the lyrics is like seeing your grandmother naked -- you want to forget, but you just can't.

(That's not my experience, by the way. I find these lyrics very easily forgotten. And twelve years later, I have mostly blocked the memory of seeing my wife's grandmother naked. Mostly.)

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   Michael_McMahan   (Member)

Does anyone here share my dislike for the First Blood vocal? I wish I could unremember the damned thing.

I'm with ya. Although I think I've only listened to it once, so it hasn't sullied the theme for me. But I know of which you speak.

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 12:02 PM   
 By:   David Kessler   (Member)

OK , now we analyze this sucker smile

It's a long road
When you're on your own (thats what Rambo was all the time...alone with noplace to go)
And it hurts when
They tear your dreams apart (all his friends had died and he is left all alone)
And every new town
Just seems to bring you down (a Vietnam Vet wasn´t welcome back home)
Trying to find peace of mind
Can break your heart (He only wanted peace but was forced into action on his home turf)
It's a real war
Right outside your
front door I tell ya (like they stated in the movie it was another war going on at home)
Out where they'll kill ya
You could use a friend (In the war, all they had was the rely of eachother, back home none)

I think the lyrics speak of what the movie is all about and what Rambo was and as I said, it is a sad ballad of a tragic life...
Pure perfection to a great (if not one of the greatest) action movies from the 80´s

Posted:   Mar 19, 2011 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

I love this song and just don't see how they ruin the theme for you. As already stated, they fit the story. I remember the first time I saw First Blood and the end credits began to roll, I stayed till the end just to hear the whole song. It had impact following what turned out to be one heck of a good film.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2011 - 4:08 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

The melody sells the pathos of the character; no words required. Those lyrics--heck, *any* lyrics now that I think about it--are IMO completely unneccessary. The sappy vocal style of Dan "Sometimes When We Touch" Hill makes it all the worse. The addition of lyrics to a brilliant Goldsmith composition--were the lyrics were written first? I don't care--spoils the music. If Goldsmith wrote that theme for the words, then the words should've been jettisoned.

My opinions, of course.

Fair enough.

I kinda like the vocal version of It's a long road. Dan Hill's singing is perhaps a bit too much stuck in it's time. Other than that I like it. Especially Hill's overdubs ("..I wanna beeeeee heee") and vis staccato lines the falling trumpet notes in the end. His voice is certainly particular, something like a cross-breed between Celine Dion and Michael McDonald. I can see how that can't be your taste in over-romatic songs like Sometimes When We Touch. As a matter of fact, I like that song as well (Although 'like' is too strong a word. I think it has his function and I do not mind hearing it, it's nice, you know. Nice.).

As far as vocal versions of film themes go, I think It's A Long Road is very well done. (Out Of Africa anyone?). Ceterum censeo the best film song ever is Huey Lewis' Back In Time.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2011 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

I love this song and just don't see how they ruin the theme for you. As already stated, they fit the story. I remember the first time I saw First Blood and the end credits began to roll, I stayed till the end just to hear the whole song. It had impact following what turned out to be one heck of a good film.

I think... well looking at the "least favourite Goldsmith scores" thread that a good many folks here simply don't like anything that isn't traditional orchestral film music. That isn't just where Goldsmith is concerned, it's everybody and everything.

No synths. No songs. No comedies. No experimenting.

The reaction of this year's Oscar win is another example. Social Network was a pretty decent score, certainly the best of those nominated. But it was panned just because it wasn't traditional film music.

"It's a Long Road" is a great, great song for a great, great movie!

Posted:   Mar 20, 2011 - 5:40 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

But again, it's the SOUND of it rather than what they say.

I'm usually okay with weak lyrics, unless they're really, really awful. (Sadly, I think most of Leslie Bricusse's lyrics for John Williams songs fall into that category. "Here I am like a kid out of school, holding hands with a god! I'm a fool." Or "Santa is here again, yes!" Lyrics like those are ruinous.)

At least the latter has the benefit of being performed by people who can actually, you know, sing. (Though I'm no fan of Teri Hatcher, her Lois would certainly have done a better job of "Can You Read My Mind" than Margot Kidder. Even if she'd done it when the first movie came out, when she was 13!)

Posted:   Mar 20, 2011 - 5:44 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Back to the lyrics, the only problem I have with them is in the second verse...

It's a long road, and it's hard as hell
Tell me, what do you do to survive?
When they draw first blood, that's just the start of it;
Day and night, you gotta fight to keep alive...

Hill's delivery is part of the problem, but shoehorning in the title of the film pulls me out of the song a little. Still, while it's no "Flying Dreams" or "If We Could Remember," it's a perfectly bittersweet way to end a movie.