Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Dead Ringer

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   Loverozsa   (Member)

I also agree. This is a fantastic score. The main title is as macabre as it gets, but the lovely "Edie's Theme"
is a knockout. If readers want to treat themselves to a classic film score for the holidays, this is it!

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 3:41 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I would have to put this in the Top 5 Previn scores (after "The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse", "Bad Day AT Black Rock", "Elmer Gantry", and "Irma La Douce").

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   shureman   (Member)

This would rate in my all-time favorite top 10 soundtrack releases....absolutely my favorite Previn ! I also enjoy the film. And I am grateful for the additional tracks that Lukas added...

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 7:09 PM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

I am stunned that we have gotten this far in posting and no one --- NO ONE --- including the esteemed Mr. Kendall has seen fit to mention the composer's name---Andre Previn!!!

Previn is the reason I bought this, period.

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 8:15 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Fantastic score and one of my favorite Previn works, a must have!

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 8:36 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

Ditto what Mr. Eastman said.

Posted:   Nov 19, 2011 - 8:47 PM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

One of my all-time favourite suspense scores ever since I bought the album way back when. I do agree, though, it really sounds like it influenced John Williams and that's not a bad thing. It's my favourite Andre Previn score....and this CD should have sold more. It really deserves it. (I'm not getting paid to say this).

Posted:   Nov 21, 2011 - 1:27 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

if this cd said "Music composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith" it would have been a good seller.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2011 - 12:25 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

Well, I am a big Williams fan and I owned this, but sold it becuase it was not to my liking.
One of the few scores I have sold. I really would not compare this to Williams.

I don't believe anyone here compared this score to Williams. Lukas said that Williams' use of the harpsichord in "Family Plot" came from Previn's use of that instrument in "Dead Ringer".

IMO, Williams would have been proud to have had someone liken this score t;o his work.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2011 - 3:41 AM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

Thanks for the tip Lukas. This is a title I always wanted to order, but somehow I postponed every time. It will be now part of my next SAE order for sure (still waiting for the previous one to arrive! smile)

Posted:   Nov 24, 2011 - 2:50 PM   
 By:   BasilFSM   (Member)

I've had this title in my Screen Archives wishlist for a month or two now, actually. Not sure when I'll pick it up, but one of these days, I will.