Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 6:21 AM   
 By:   Other Tallguy   (Member)

A tweet from Singer:

"JohnOttman wants out of the cutting room so he can start writing the score. #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast Soon John!"

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   orion_mk3   (Member)

The thing that really amazes me about this is that the X-Men franchise is now SEVEN movies long, and this is the FIRST time a composer has returned to do another installment. Though I like the score to X3 the best, it will just be nice to hear some thematic continuity after Kamen, Ottman, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Jackman, and Beltrami have each tried to reinvent the wheel for the franchise.

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

I personally don't like listening to X2 outside of the movie....does very little for me...but there's no denying it work extremely well IN the movie, so here's hoping Ottman delivers yet again...

Posted:   Oct 23, 2013 - 5:58 PM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

Really bummed Jackman is not back . Next to Kamen his is my favorite. Can't beat his First Class theme.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 5:56 AM   
 By:   Other Tallguy   (Member)

Really bummed Jackman is not back . Next to Kamen his is my favorite. Can't beat his First Class theme.

"I Am the Doctor"? (I actually loved First Class.)

As much as I've come to love other Powell scores I still don't like X3.

Kamen's X-men is my favorite, but Ottman's X-2 is pretty terrific.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 11:42 AM   
 By:   RedOkt64 2.0   (Member)

Great news indeed.

Love X2... the LLLR expansion is marvelous.

Looking forward to this...

R.I.P. to Mr. Ottman's frequent collaborator... Damon Intrabartolo... who passed away this past August.

Posted:   Oct 24, 2013 - 12:11 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

Awesome looking forward to it!

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:56 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

I love and still have my copies of the two issues of the X-Men that the movie is based on. Can't wait to ,see if the score can be heard over Wolverine slicing and dicing large purple and grey robots.

You and me both, pal! smile And despite the fact that issue #142 has been out for thirty-three years, posting its cover here somehow seems like a spoiler. wink Here's ish #141.

The trailer makes the film look very sound stagey, IMO. However, going by the brief scenes we see, it appears to capture the quite-serious atmosphere that even the old comics had after this story, which essentially set the tone for the book forever more.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

That trailer...

... is magnificent.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2013 - 9:42 AM   
 By:   TxIrish   (Member)

Agreed... the trailer looks great. What music is being used in it?

Posted:   Oct 31, 2013 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Adagio from Sunshine, Journey to the Line from The Thin Red Line.

Posted:   Dec 7, 2013 - 2:43 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

The way that LLL has now released expanded or complete scores to Superman Returns and X2, I wonder if they would do the same thing with DoFP. But a double-disc release at the same time as a standard score release seems doubtful.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 1:23 AM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

Don't like Ottman's work either as a composer or and editor and so teaming him with Bryan Singer, who I consider to be at best a journeyman director, (Superman Returns is an insufferably inept movie and how he even got funding for Jack The Giant Killer is beyond me) does not give me a lot of hope for this movie.

Shame because First Class was fantastic.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 1:39 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Yeah, right... everything Singer and Ottman ever did is so terrible and First Class was such an excellent movie and score... good joke!

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 5:06 AM   
 By:   lostboy408   (Member)

Henry Jackman's score to First Class was intrusive and rather annoying, so this is good news.

Agree...to a point. other than the end credits, I literally didn't remember a single cue from the movie. Jackman (personal opinion here) did a much better job composing Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It may not have been the best score, but at least I remember there being a score.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   GOLDSMITHDAKING   (Member)

Don't like Ottman's work either as a composer or and editor and so teaming him with Bryan Singer, who I consider to be at best a journeyman director, (Superman Returns is an insufferably inept movie and how he even got funding for Jack The Giant Killer is beyond me) does not give me a lot of hope for this movie.

Shame because First Class was fantastic.

Agree with most of what you said here except for the part about First Class.I thought that was an awful movie which threw continuity out the window ( Xavier loses the use of his legs despite the fact that previous X films show that this accident did not happen to him until much later in life ) and what the heck was up with Michael Fassbenders accent? He suddenly went all oirish as soon as he put on the Magneto helmet.

The score was also very overdone.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   amatalqa   (Member)

Just watched X-Men First Class again last night. It's far superior to The Avengers and I would go so far to say that it's one of the best superhero films. The Xavier/Magneto story line is terrific, with perfect casting. And every character in the X-Men ensemble is given their weight, perfectly balanced in the overall story. The execution and direction are top notch. Never a dull moment despite the big action showdown (those tend to be boring - Avengers and Man of Steel both went overboard to the point where I didn't care about anything anymore).

As far as the score, I think Henry Jackman did a terrific job. When I first heard it, I wasn't so sure, but it quickly started to grow on me. I love the montage music as well as all the Magneto stuff (it doesn't need that extra melody that Jackman originally intended to have on top). Also, love that they used Michael Kamen's concentration camp theme in the opening.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 11:21 AM   
 By:   GOLDSMITHDAKING   (Member)

Just watched X-Men First Class again last night. It's far superior to The Avengers and I would go so far to say that it's one of the best superhero films. The Xavier/Magneto story line is terrific, with perfect casting. And every character in the X-Men ensemble is given their weight, perfectly balanced in the overall story. The execution and direction are top notch. Never a dull moment despite the big action showdown (those tend to be boring - Avengers and Man of Steel both went overboard to the point where I didn't care about anything anymore).

As far as the score, I think Henry Jackman did a terrific job. When I first heard it, I wasn't so sure, but it quickly started to grow on me. I love the montage music as well as all the Magneto stuff (it doesn't need that extra melody that Jackman originally intended to have on top). Also, love that they used Michael Kamen's concentration camp theme in the opening.

The bit in bold made me laugh.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   mastersofuniverse   (Member)

Ottman did an ok job at reusing John Williams's themes for Superman Returns, but nowhere near as good as Ken Thorne or Alexander Courage did for their Superman movies. At leat they knew how not to mess with perfection unlike these composers today.

A great thing about older movies from the 70, 80s to mid 90s was that those movies which had multiple sequels, all had distinctive main themes and sub themes which were reused and expanded upon in the sequels.

The fact that this X Men series doesn't even utilise a single Main theme which has been memorable or been reused again is frankly proof of how terrible these modern film directors and composers are.

They have no concept of creating a distinctive melody or memorable theme which stands out and which continues in the next installment.

All they do is create a generic, useless score which nobody can remember or even bother to listen to again because they are simply devoid of anything memorable.

It doesn't help that these recent superhero movies seem to have different directors for each sequel, and then these directors hire someone completely different to the original movie's composer, and then create a score without a single connection to the previous one.

Its frankly hilarious.