Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 7:26 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Back in the pre-C&C days, most soundtracks were exactly that by default, i.e. concept albums based on the original soundtrack. Most people knew that (that the composer and album producer had selected and re-arranged cues for a 'concept' feel). These days, however, the waters are getting muddier, even for big, commercial soundtracks.

Christopher Young still goes for the concept album approach at times, he adapted and expanded on his 'Sinister' music exactly for an album release. Some of his more recent expansions (Unforgettable, Jennifer 8, ..) still use edits of cues and unchronological placement and are basically a longer substitute of the album release instead of a C&C archive. I have to admit that I'm not opposed to this approach at all.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 7:36 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Why would I want to hear the music I heard in the film? Because that's the music I heard and fell in love with. roll eyes

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   soop.broth   (Member)

Very few other films have enjoyed such soundtrack proliferation, even if none of them may be EXACTLY the way C&C enthusiasts would wish.

Wha? Again, you have the facts wrong:

The 1994 contained 7 tracks from the film, many with dialog. The rest were new tracks.
The "Massive" 3CD set was:
Disc 1: identical to the beloved 1994 album, bit-for-bit.
Disc 2: like the 1994 album, many excellent tracks from the film mixed with tracks of unknown origin. All-in-all, about 7 additional track from the film.
Disc 3: Newly penned nonsense.

That's a total of 2 CDs, 1/3 of which is music not from the film while a portion of the rest contains lyrics and wind noises (Tears in Rain on Disc 2). Not exactly a "proliferation" over the course of 20 years, is it? Especially for such a well-known and beloved soundtrack.

Like nuts_score in the first post, I'm continually amazed by this basic lack of appreciation, and how VOCAL said fans are about their displeasure.

Straw man argument. Complete nonsense. Most people (including, it seems, every single person on this thread) seems to appreciate the 1994 album quite a bit for what it is.

And no... the opening credit main titles are NOT on the 1994 album. Do your research.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 8:27 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

That's a total of 2 CDs, 1/3 of which is music not from the film while a portion of the rest contains lyrics and wind noises (Tears in Rain on Disc 2). Not exactly a "proliferation" over the course of 20 years, is it? Especially for such a well-known and beloved soundtrack.

I think so, yes. Some films don't even have any soundtrack at all. This one has 3 (spread over 5 CD's), plus a whole lot of bootlegs.

Now, none of those may be EXACTLY what you crave, but it still doesn't negate their value for what they are. And there is a WHOLE LOT of music from the actual film on those CD's as well...not just random, irrelevant tracks.

And no... the opening credit main titles are NOT on the 1994 album. Do your research.

Not the opening percussion, true, but the bit from when the hovercars swoosh past the camera to when it lands on the building...that's all there on the 1994 album. But we're talking about two different things...I mean the whole opening sequence, while you obviously only mean the credit sequence itself (before the first image).

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

BJBien, do you create a lot of playlists? I love doing this personally and I'll pepper some various favorite score selections. Often I'll forget that a track plays seamlessly into another and get really pissed when it occurs in my playlist.

I don't. I add the entire album for almost all the scores I rip unless for whatever reason I don't add the ORIGINAL SCORE ALBUM that is included in some LALA LAND or INTRADA releases.

I sort of create a playlist based on my mood but I manually go from on track to the next.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

Christopher Young still goes for the concept album approach at times, he adapted and expanded on his 'Sinister' music exactly for an album release. Some of his more recent expansions (Unforgettable, Jennifer 8, ..) still use edits of cues and unchronological placement and are basically a longer substitute of the album release instead of a C&C archive. I have to admit that I'm not opposed to this approach at all.

While I wasn't too crazy with the OFFICIAL Intrada release of THE CORE, I felt the first release was perfect from Mr. Young and I am a HUGE fan of his presentation for PRIEST which is a masterpiece in my book and I wouldn't really be interested in buying a COMPLETE SCORE for that one.

ALIEN 3 and TITUS are great albums and there are excellent for what they are but in those cases and even in the case of BLADE RUNNER, I'm left with wanting more.

The best way I can describe my hate for that BLADE RUNNER album is for my money, BLADE RUNNER's music is just as important as songs from any musical and imagine your dissapointment at buying a musical's soundtrack and only getting HALF of the songs with sound effects and other songs created but not used... it could work perfectly well as its own thing and could use the banner MUSIC FROM AND INSPIRED BY but in the case of BLADE RUNNER so much EXCELLENT music is left out that it begs for a release.

I have no doubt that this could move 3,000 units if ever released by LALA LAND.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 9:57 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

I love the BSX re-recording! It remedied everything that was wrong with the previous presentations.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

I love the BSX re-recording! It remedied everything that was wrong with the previous presentations.

I agree! A wonderful re-recording.

-Erik-

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 8:13 PM   
 By:   Death Incarnate   (Member)

- The Prologue: one of the most memorable pieces in the film. Not on the 1994 album or the 25th anniv.
- Deckard Meets Rachael: A beautiful piece. Not on the 1994 album or the 25th anniv.
- Rachael's Test: Later released on the 25th disc 2.
- Photo Analysis: Later released on the 25th disc 2.
- Mr. Chews: A lengthy atmospheric piece. Later released on the 25th disc 2.
- Pris Meets JF: Featuring the infamous "cat howl" and bells. Unreleased.
- Deckard's Dream: Short, but a very memorable passage. Absent from any release.
- Dr. Tyrell's Death: Pivotal choral piece in the film. Later released on the 25th disc 2 (truncated).
- Desolation Path (alt Love Theme): Magnificent piece. Released on 25th disc 2 without the atmospheric intro or the coda.
- The Duel: Later released on the 25th disc 2 (truncated).
- Morning At The Bradbury: One of the most beautiful passages in the film. Absent from any release.
- I Am The Business: Another fully formed piece from the film. Absent from any release.
- Rachael Sleeps: Later released on the 25th disc 2.
- various pieces from Taffey's Bar: The market, the bar, the dance. Great stuff, but less essential.

This. Yes. Exactly.
Especially The Prologue.

Posted:   May 4, 2013 - 10:12 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I was one who was certainly disappointed with that release. Thats because it is not really a soundtrack album, as it claimed to be.

I think it's fair to say that even on the cover of the album the word "soundtrack" is not present. wink

I want to thank those who have chimed in with your responses. And also the continued recommendation of the Rothermich re-recording. I've actually just purchased it on iTunes for download. As much as I'd love to have the CD, I just don't have the space for a compact disc collection anymore and digital distribution has become my preferred soundtrack ownership. I'll get back to you all after a few listens of this album. Have a great weekend!

Posted:   May 4, 2013 - 10:21 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

I was one who was certainly disappointed with that release. Thats because it is not really a soundtrack album, as it claimed to be.

Excuse me?

Would you be so kind as to point out where we claim that release is the SOUNDTRACK ALBUM of the film ANYWHERE.

Because both myself and Mark Banning made very sure that it was marketed as a NEW RECORDING, not the soundtrack album from the film.

Perhaps you might wish to "Amend" your original post?

Ford A. thaxton

Posted:   May 4, 2013 - 10:53 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

I think he was talking about the Atlantic album, not the re-recording (which is fantastic).

Posted:   May 5, 2013 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Elmo Bernstein   (Member)

- The Prologue: one of the most memorable pieces in the film. Not on the 1994 album or the 25th anniv.

Vangelis: Collection includes the prologue music (albeit edited to the '94 CD's main title).

- Deckard's Dream: Short, but a very memorable passage. Absent from any release.

This was originally written for Antarctica. Not on the album, but you can hear the passage used in Blade Runner at 8:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4trnVSSeQ

Posted:   May 5, 2013 - 1:09 PM   
 By:   Joe 1956   (Member)

I didn't get anything near what I'd hoped. It was piecemeal, and the dialog makes me wonder, and especially after 30 years, if a lot of the original tracks were lost very early on. You can get all the dialog you want from the unmentionables.

I wasn't about to spend money on second and third releases. I, the customer, learned what I was thought of the first time.

Edit: I love the music. This very thread had me search out some of the unmentionable stuff on YouTube, and among other things I finally caught the overall motif of the church bell(s), something I'd never caught because of the threadbare album. No doubt there's more to discover with repeat listenings.

Posted:   May 5, 2013 - 1:21 PM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

Can't say that I mind the original album. I don't even mind the voice over. Would I rather it not be there? Of course I would.

Yes it falls short of being a great 'soundtrack album' and what every Bladerunner fan would like, but it is a great 'album'. Listen to it as an 'album' in it's own right and you are taken on a wonderful journey.

The re-recording album is fantastic though and is probably as close to a soundtrack album as we're ever likely to get.

Posted:   May 5, 2013 - 3:44 PM   
 By:   soop.broth   (Member)

I didn't get anything near what I'd hoped. It was piecemeal, and the dialog makes me wonder, and especially after 30 years, if a lot of the original tracks were lost very early on. You can get all the dialog you want from the unmentionables.

29th Anniversary Edition.

That's all I'm going to say.

Posted:   May 15, 2013 - 8:52 AM   

I want to thank everyone who guided me to seek out the Rothermich 30th Anniversary re-recording. What an album! All of the pieces you had never heard from Vangelis' album, performed beautiful by someone who is clearly a master behind a synth.

This is REQUIRED listening for all Blade Runner fans.

As a critical aside, I could do without Rothermich's re-tinkering of "One More Kiss Dear." Vangelis' original -- which I say sounds better lyrically and musically than its inspiration the Inkspots -- is just too perfect, and Rothermich's new version sounds nice but it is undone by the vocals from Tom Schmid are not very good (in my opinion). I hate to be critical of this album as overall it is wonderful but it just stops dead for me in that track and I skip right over it.

P.S. Mucho "thank you"s to BuySoundtrax and Ford Thaxton and Mike Joffe and everyone else involved! And thank you for allowing it up on iTunes -- it benefits the score fans like myself who just aren't in the collecting game anymore. I'm not sure if the disc booklet is as wonky as the digital version, but the text is all out of place on my copy which cam through iTunes. Is this a problem or was it intended this way?

Posted:   May 15, 2013 - 9:11 AM   
 By:   Alex Cremers   (Member)

Why?!

Rachel's Song and Damask Rose ... I thought I bought the score of Blade Runner!

wink

Posted:   May 15, 2013 - 9:19 AM   

Why?!

Rachel's Song and Damask Rose ... I thought I bought the score of Blade Runner!

wink

I appreciate the wink... if you don't like "Rachel's Song" then you don't appreciate the finer things in life.

Posted:   May 16, 2013 - 11:23 PM   
 By:   Alex Cremers   (Member)

The music and particularly the female voice of Rachel's Song don't capture the Future Noir mood that the rest of the score consists of. To me it simply doesn't belong to the Blade Runner universe I love so well. It reminds me of different and of a '70s Vangelis, more in line with the music he made for the documentaries of Frédéric Rossif. Sure, I may not appreciate the finer things in life but I'm glad it's not in the movie.

Alex