Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 6:42 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

Unreleased, apparently.

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 8:57 PM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

If you have the Blu-Ray of the first season, or the UK Region 2 DVD sets, there are music only tracks.

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 9:52 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

so no feedback from ZapBrannigan...

I'm just now getting to it, and finding stuff out from guys here who are more dialed in than I am. smile

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

If you have the Blu-Ray of the first season, or the UK Region 2 DVD sets, there are music only tracks.

not on the bluray, as I explained above. The UK Network dvd release has music-only tracks, but I've heard that particular episode uses a music/Fx track.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and input in uncovering the source of the cue!

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

Whoops, sorry, I missed where you mentioned that. The Network DVDs have the same music-only tracks and I forgot Dragon's Domain had commentary instead. Maybe one of the other episodes which used the cue has it.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:22 AM   

yes, I thought about it's use in the other episodes. I havent watched your suggestion of "Matter of life and death" or Member's suggestion of "Mission of Darians" yet.

I wonder if the original, faster version of the cue is on some library collection.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:29 AM   
 By:   Heath   (Member)

I took your question to the Space:1999 News Network. Some interesting answers coming in big grin
check it out here:
www.facebook.com/groups/198696856884910/

Thanks. Yes indeed, that's it. I captured the sound from the Fireball video, slowed it down, EQ'd it a bit, added some reverb... and bingo! Instant space menace. big grin Trivia fans might like to know that the menace cue was the only Gray music that made it into season 2. If memory serves, it appeared in the episode The Mark of Archanon*.

Clever guy, Gray. He would really mangle his electronic cues, vary their pitch, add effects, and recombine them with others to create new cues. The end title to UFO is a perfect example of this. It comprises at least 4 different tracks combined seamlessly into what is, in my opinion, one of the most amazing electronic cues ever.

*sometimes it worries me that I know stuff like this. wink

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:49 AM   

Thanks. Yes indeed, that's it. I captured the sound from the Fireball video, slowed it down, EQ'd it a bit, added some reverb... and bingo! Instant space menace. big grin Trivia fans might like to know that the menace cue was the only Gray music that made it into season 2. If memory serves, it appeared in the episode The Mark of Archanon*.

Clever guy, Gray. He would really mangle his electronic cues, vary their pitch, add effects, and recombine them with others to create new cues. The end title to UFO is a perfect example of this. It comprises at least 4 different tracks combined seamlessly into what is, in my opinion, one of the most amazing electronic cues ever.

I downloaded the Fireball episode, and played it slow. As is, it was very similar, but really needs to be tweaked, as you did.

I dont suppose you've tracked down the original track to an LP/CD? Or located the slowed version on the other Season 1 episodes?

The UFO end track reminds me slightly of the dour Frontiere ending for THE INVADERS (and mainly comes to mind because both the series have similar storylines).

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   Heath   (Member)

I don't think it was on the original fireball CD. It might be on the new one. Don't know. The cue features on Ring Around The Moon quite significantly.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

yes, I thought about it's use in the other episodes. I havent watched your suggestion of "Matter of life and death" or Member's suggestion of "Mission of Darians" yet.

I wonder if the original, faster version of the cue is on some library collection.

Just passing by: I double-checked the restored DVD of Network for "Mission of the Darians"
and the music only cue for the death booth scenes are "not" available.

Posted:   Jun 26, 2013 - 6:13 AM   

Just passing by: I double-checked the restored DVD of Network for "Mission of the Darians"
and the music only cue for the death booth scenes are "not" available.

The Network dvd of "Dragon's Domain" has either a music-only or music/Fx track. I'd be interested know which it is.

As Heath wrote, the cue is used alot in "Ring around the moon." That would be probably be the better source for it from the bluray (since it will be the correct 24 fps).