Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 8:26 AM   
 By:   bobbengan   (Member)

Great point about those awesome action hook/rhythm setters, Bob.

One of my absolute favorites is Defeat of the Deceivers, one of Scott´s greatest action tracks. What a drive, it´s stunning!

What comes to other great rhythm setters, there´s always for example Williams´ and Goldsmith´s stuff, but also Murray Gold´s. I have been positively flabbergasted of his skill in an area I thought was only reserved for the aforementioned masters.

I don't know how I forgot that cue! You're right, that big stomping percussion rhythm is awesome. Hell, even MOUNTBATTEN: THE LASY VICEROY had a few cues like this. I'll never understand why he never became more widely recognized as an action composer!

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 11:30 AM   
 By:   Kari Tuhkanen   (Member)

Yeah, talking about action music, what about Powerful Amazon from Jules Verne Adventures? The first time I heard it I almost forgot to breathe.

I remember reading from an interview, that what Scott really enjoys to compose, is aggressive music. It´s not hard to hear why, although it´s not the first thing that comes to mind, when speaking of his music.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2013 - 8:40 AM   
 By:   Kari Tuhkanen   (Member)

Listened The Mill on the Floss once more; beautiful, subdued music. A few lovely themes and the overall British pastoral feeling makes this a joy to listen to. It doesn´t make you grasp on your armchair or anything like that, rather it makes you drift away to a countryside and dream absent-mindedly. Relaxing stuff, if tad melancholic and brooding. One of Scott´s own favorite scores this as well.