Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 8:42 AM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Based on the trailer, I think that Philip Glass would've done a stellar job on WATCHMEN.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

This falls a litle outside of Rick's parameters, but I wished I could have heard what Wendy Carlos would have done with "Tron: Legacy".

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

There was a thread like this over at MMUK. Here some of what I posted:

Ones that weren't bad, but I thought another composer would have been interesting:
Spider-Man - Scott Gilman
Spider-Man 2 - Joseph LoDuca
Troy - Robert Duncan
Ghostbusters 2 - Elmer Bernstein
The Chronicles of Riddick - Joseph LoDuca
Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls - Chrsitopher Tyng
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Shirley Walker
The 13th Warrior - Dennis McCarthy

Ones I have not heard, but here my alternate choices:
The Fogotten - Mark Snow
Alexander - Gabriel Yared (I've since heard it; no great shakes)
Blade Runner - Jerry Goldsmith

Ones that were bad and needed to be rescored:
Star Trek: Nemesis - Joel Goldsmith
Pirates of the Carribean 1 - Alan Silvestri
Mission: Impossible 2 - Christopher Tyng

TV Series:
Enterprise - Ron Jones
LOST - Tony Morales
LOST - Thomas Wanker
Quantum Leap - Mike Post, all seasons. (NOT to impune Velton Ray Bunch's work!!!)
The X-Files - Thomas Wanker. Would have been interesting indeed.

"Screwed", with a score by the late Michael Colombier. I can't help but think how this really a unintreresting score that didn't fit the movie.
This job should have been for David Newman.

The Witness -- James Newton Howard
The Interpreter -- Velton Ray Bunch
What Dreams May Come -- David Williams
Any Harry Potter movie -- Gabriel Yared
FX 2 -- Bill Conti
Lucky Numbers -- Ira Newborn of David Newman
Night At the Museum -- Christopher Stone
Star Wars -- John Scott could have done this easily.
Legend -- Mark Snow
Groundhog Day -- Jerry Goldsmith
Stardust -- Michael Kamen, if he was still alive.
"Scrubs" (TV) -- Danny Lux
Sahara -- Basil Poldouris, Christopher Tyng, Joel Goldsmith...
The Hitchhicker's Guide To the Galaxy -- James L. Venable
Curious George -- Bruce Broughton
Blizzard -- Alan Silvestri
Aeon Flux -- Christopher Tyng
Red Eye -- Jerry Goldsmith
Iron Man -- Basil Poledouris
Enchanted -- Richard Hartley
"Dirty Harry" (Frank DeVol)
"Planet of the Apes" (Frank DeVol)

Elmer Bernstein - Ghostbusters II
Edelman's effort left much, very much to be desired, especially in the wake of Bernstein's fantastic score.
A sequel score would have given new material, and a chance to bring back themes from the previous film, like Peter's theme and the Ghostbusters' theme.

Elmer Bernstein - Top Secret!
Jarre's score is a very overrated effort, and mickey mousing. Hard to imagine why the Varese Club CD sold out. Bernstein could have done a terrific job. Bill Conti would have also been an interesting choice.

Jerry Goldsmith - Jumangi
Imagine some "First Blood" mixed with some "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend" and add some "The Ghost and the Darkness" and we could have gotten a hell of a score.

Bruce Broughton - Harry Potter: Goblet Fire / Order Of The Phoenix

"The Water Horse" -- Georges Delerue
"Planes" (Carl Johnson)
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (Rachel Portman)
"The Twilight Saga" (any sequel, Tyler Bates. That way we know for sure we'll be disappointed in advance, and free up Burwell to do something better)
"Life of Pi" (Gabriel Yared)
"Rise of the Guadians" (Robert Folk)
"Red Dawn" (remake; Zoe Poledouris. why not try it?)
"Ashes" (David Shire)
"Wreck-It Ralph" (Christopher Tyng; the director has worked on "Futurama" -- give Tyng a chance)
"Stoker" (Wojciech Kilar)
"Lidsville" (Alf Clausen)

And I'd like to give a 2013 update:

Gabried Yared would have been a great choice for "Romeo and Juliet".

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

James Horner- Dragonslayer.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:53 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

I wish Bernard Herrmann had scored PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, instead of just supplying the tune for the little song she sings...

And Herrmann could have added brilliant depth to THE EXORCIST, which he was actually consulted about scoring, but it didn't happen. Cryin' shame.... Would have taken that picture into a completely different dimension.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 3:00 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

If this thread takes off i predict nothing but heartache.

That jerry shoulda dun this score, that ennio shoulda dun that score, that williams shouldv also dun these scores, oh no, im quite happy with henrys original score, or could he have done a better score than norths - woulda shoulda coulda!

What does it matter, we got what we got. Enjoy everything for what it is.

Wise words.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   gsteven   (Member)

Bernard Herrmann
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
SHADOW OF A DOUBT

Miklos Rozsa
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

Franz Waxman
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

Elmer Bernstein
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
ON GOLDEN POND
ORDINARY PEOPLE

Alfred Newman
RYAN'S DAUGHTER

George Delerue
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT

What's amazing is how many movies got just the right composer (THE SEA HAWK, GONE WITH THE WIND, CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, THE EGYPTIAN, THE NUN'S STORY, THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK, BEN-HUR, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, THE OMEN, and on and on).

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   groovemeister   (Member)

Nothing against Maestro Morricone, but I'd have loved to hear Poledouris' take on Red Sonja.

But,....but, .....but i really like Morricone's score !

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 6:25 PM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

Based on the trailer, I think that Philip Glass would've done a stellar job on WATCHMEN.

The only thing WATCHMEN did right is to use Philip Glass in the Dr. Manhattan section.

The Watchmen motion comic's score by Lennie Moore is also heavily minimalistic, but more John Adams than Philip Glass.

That said, I'd love to see a Watchmen movie (directed by Terry Gilliam as originally planned) scored by Micheal Kamen, in collaboration with Philip Glass and some 80's rock band.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 7:22 PM   
 By:   Matt B   (Member)

I concur with everyone who would have loved a proper Ghostbusters 2 score from Elmer Bernstein. Bernstein's first score was and is an absolute classic, and Randy Edelman's score left a lot to be desired.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:13 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

Though Horner's TREK II has much to recommend it, boy would I have loved to see Goldsmith do that film.

And though I love Williams's SUPERMAN, what would Goldsmith's take on it have been? He came close to scoring that one....

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:18 PM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

Poledouris. ROBOCOP 2.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:39 PM   
 By:   sr-miller   (Member)

I'm not nearly that revisionist, most scores are at least adequate, but two movies I can think of whose scores did them no favors is The African Queen and Doc Savage: Man of Bronze.
Quite a few talented composers would have been suitable for African Queen, I'm thinking Victor Young would have been a good choice. For Doc Savage (though hardly a great movie, could have been less bad), maybe Elmer Bernstein?

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 2:39 AM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

Miklos Rozsa
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

No, Fall of the Roman Empire.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 8:16 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Ben Hur (John Barry)
Star Wars (Hans Zimmer)
The Pink Panther (Burt Bacharach)
The Magnificent Seven (Ennio Morricone)
Alien (John Williams)
Spartacus (Miklos Rozsa)

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   jacky   (Member)

Ridley scott Movie Legend with a Vangelis score

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

It already got that trivial synth treatment, only it was by Tangerine Dream.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

Poledouris. ROBOCOP 2.

Sublime!

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Romancing The Stone was on TV tonight. And apart from the background noise being dialled WWWAAAYYY up loud, the Silvestri electronic score was really jarring. I understand it was the "sound of the time". But watching it now the soundtrack is pretty...ordinary (IMHO)

The I started to think what this movie would look (sound) like if it had a score based on today's sound. A Zimmer 2013 score. A James Newton Howard score. A John Powell score. Would it change the movie? Make it better? Worse?

I think I'd love to see an 80's movie re-scored with the current "sound"

What do you think? Would people be interested to see an older movie re-scored?

Interesting you should pick that particular film/score to start this thread off...as I am forever saying, eveyone's tastes differ but I really consider Romancing the Stone to be one of the better scores of that ilk...

...choosing films of that time (or, of course, any time) to be rescored is a toughy, since the soundscape is so indelibly linked to the film it is difficult to imagine anything but what is actually already there.

Having said that, I would have loved to have had a fuller score to Mark L Lester's Firestarter...originally a noble effort by the aforementioned Tangering Dream but I just needed...more...particularly in the climactic onslaught - it just whimpered (for me)...my choice to rescore? Gotta be Pino Donaggio... I guess he just had a bit of a knack with that kind of movie/character wink ...but one can hardly ignore the musical fireworks he contributed to that other King adaptation....

Owning an album or two of his, I would love to hear what Isao Tomita would have come up with for Ridley Scott's Alien...and it's such a credit to everyone involved with the various DVD and Blu-Ray versions of this (but one or two people in particular wink ) that we are able to actually hear Goldsmith's original score too...now if only it were able to be mixed into the original movie...that would persuade me to triple-dip!

Posted:   Jul 22, 2013 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   moviescore1   (Member)

A few that come to mind would be:

October Sky - James Horner instead of Mark Isham. I like Isham's score, but I would have loved to hear what Horner would have done with this, especially in the finale with the last rocket.

World Trade Center - John Williams instead of Craig Armstrong. Armstrong's score was just too atmospheric for me and not enough emotion.

Time Traveler's Wife - David Arnold instead of Mychael Danna. Since Nicholas Dodd orchestrates for both of them, I would keep it in the same camp, but Arnold would have put more melody in the score than what Danna delivered. I didn't really care for the movie, but the music was boring as well

And finally, Man of Steel, John Powell instead of Hans Zimmer. Powell would have at least given Superman a thematic identity. Just listen to Hancock or X3.