Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 2, 2013 - 9:16 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

This one from time bomb sounds very much like "Mind of the machine", a golden combo: 1984, Lando Calrisian, The black hole's Charles Piser, the sound from "Airwolf", and a super charged armed GMS Astro cab about to retreive a nuclear bomb. Things can't get better than that!!

Time Bomb in particular, and some other scores as well ( Cobra ) are Levay in his Tangerine Dream clone mode... not sure if it was his choice or he was hired because he could ape the TD sound so expertly. Most likely he was hired for that sound in particular, as it seems in later years his sound strayed away from that style. I remember channel surfing when Time Bomb aired originally, and stopping to listen, thinking it was in fact a Tangerine Dream score razz

He even out TD'd TD on the 3 O'Clock High score, where his contributions were more interesting than TD's own tracks big grin

He was very adept at that TD sequencer styled stuff... it'd be great to have some of this stuff on official CDs in crisp , pristine sound.

I don't really agree that he strayed away from the TD sound in later years. His last Hollywood score, Flashfire, is very much in the TD vein, with sequencers and electric guitars.

And Intrada's Navy Seals CD is heaven sent for Levay fans, crisp sound and lots of sequencers, although a bit of orchestra too.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2013 - 6:56 PM   
 By:   Dan J. Schulte   (Member)

I love Levay's TD-inspired music. I have all 12 episodes of HARDBALL and that show's got Three O' Clock High/COBRA sequencing all over it. Also a fan of PROBE.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2013 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Not familiar with Sylvester Levay though I love Creator, which is not available. Are there any Creator like scores (or cues) available from this composer?

I'm not a big synth fan, but I do believe they work well for beautiful character drive themes. (Main themes, romantic themes, etc.) For example some of the pretty and sad music in Flashdance and Top Gun. When it comes to action music, synth's are just to mechanical and repetitive for my tastes.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2013 - 10:18 AM   

Not familiar with Sylvester Levay though I love Creator, which is not available. Are there any Creator like scores (or cues) available from this composer?

I'm not a big synth fan, but I do believe they work well for beautiful character drive themes. (Main themes, romantic themes, etc.) For example some of the pretty and sad music in Flashdance and Top Gun. When it comes to action music, synth's are just to mechanical and repetitive for my tastes.

Hmm, let me see...

Skyline from Cobra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xudlH863SXY

High Jumpers from Navy Seals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpL1Z88MwA8

Love Theme from Hot Shots!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyVW5gKG7U

Theme from Annihilator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN2cab4ltN4

Posted:   Dec 16, 2013 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

@ First Breath - Thanks much! I'll check them out.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2013 - 6:45 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

Yeah, still hungry for a great Levay collection. The guy did have some excellent chops back in the day and it'd be wonderful to have some of his best stuff properly released.

Heck I'd go for a series of pristine download releases.

Posted:   Dec 17, 2013 - 11:31 AM   

Yeah, still hungry for a great Levay collection. The guy did have some excellent chops back in the day and it'd be wonderful to have some of his best stuff properly released.

Heck I'd go for a series of pristine download releases.

A Levay collection had been a dream come true. I have compiled bits and pieces of his stuff for years, so I have quite a few albums with Levay music, but a high quality release with good sound had been great, and a superb listening experience.