Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 10, 2013 - 5:42 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

The main title and end title in John Williams' The Poseidon Adventure.

(I best take cover now as tomatoes and pies get thrown in my direction)

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 3:02 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Hello all! I don't mean to be an old grump or anything (too late!), always pee-peeing on people's p-p-p-p-penguins, I mean parties, BUT...........

It is surprising just how many scores are really only memorable for their Main and End Titles. Or maybe it's not surprising at all.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 4:25 AM   
 By:   Frank V   (Member)

"Fright Night" from Fright Night by Ramin Djawadi

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 4:26 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

It is surprising just how many scores are really only memorable for their Main and End Titles. Or maybe it's not surprising at all.

That's a fair point. And maybe when the theme is reprised during the score. I get that from people quite a lot, familiar with a main theme but no interest in the rest. So why should anyone else?

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 4:47 AM   
 By:   Mikal   (Member)

X-men 2- Obviously the Opening cue in the White House, and when Magneto breaks out of his cell.

You know, I was just watching the latter scene featuring Henry Jackman's Magneto theme from First Class, instead of Ottman's original score, a couple of days ago. It's BOSSANOVA! big grin

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 4:56 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

Indeed. But then, in the olden days (pre-2000), the composer could count on it that there WERE proper main and end title sequences - incentive enough to compose cues that can stand on their own! Nowadays, with the average movie goer (= pimply teenager) having the attention span of a fruit fly, there are no more main titles.

Another cue tom prove my point: the "Main Titles" from HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS by Bruce Broughton. The rest of the score, mostly, is just listless underscoring.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 5:40 AM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

"Nano Ant Technology" from Harry Manfredini's Jaxon X -- a terrific piece of sci-fi music, full of wonder and imagination and quite light-hearted.

EDIT: ah, I just realized after glimpsing my avatar again, this piece is appropriate for this Friday the 13th week!

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

In Powell's Evolution, his Fire Truck Cue rises to the top. It is just fabulous and rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9M7PhZKo4

I still think Evolution is probably Powell's best solo score, and definitely the most fun. I think the Mall Chase cue is a better track overall, though.

My submission: "Evil Annie" from Patrick Doyle's "Igor." The score is okay-to-good, but man that track, with its use of female vocals and interpretation of "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie," kills it.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 6:14 AM   
 By:   Cvalda   (Member)

"Bail Out" from Goldsmith's Congo.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

The one and only reason I listen to ALIEN NATION is the final track, The Wedding.

That one track alone makes it a score I listen to rather than one I pass by.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 6:43 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

"Bail Out" from Goldsmith's Congo.

I can't get enough of "Bail Out", but I also love the entire score.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 6:47 AM   

X-men 2- Obviously the Opening cue in the White House, and when Magneto breaks out of his cell.

You know, I was just watching the latter scene featuring Henry Jackman's Magneto theme from First Class, instead of Ottman's original score, a couple of days ago. It's BOSSANOVA! big grin

Well that was interesting!

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 7:39 AM   
 By:   petek66   (Member)

The one that leaps to mind for me is "Nuclear Scam" from Hunt for Red October.
A good score, but this cue is disproportionately great.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   orion_mk3   (Member)

A few ones come to mind:

Cowboys and Aliens: HGW goes full-on Morricone during the main and end titles, but the score never recaptures that level of energy again, and the theme is all but absent from the rest of the score.

Iron Man 2: The main titles have that wonderful massive Russian chorus in a theme that never really appears again, and the Iron Man theme in "I Am Iron Man" and (briefly) "Monaco" is sadly missing just about everywhere else it's needed.

Sunshine (1999): One of Jarre's last scores, where the beautiful choral finale, "The Sonnenscheins," handily outshines (har) every other cue.

Titan A.E.: I do like the underscore more than some, but it's generally quite abrasive. The redemptive finale, "Planet Bob," is one of the best sci-fi cues out there.

I'm sure I'll think of more in time smile

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 8:51 AM   
 By:   jonnyquest   (Member)

Hey thanks to all who are contributing to this topic, as well as the originator of the thread. It's a fun, constructive discussion that gave me the idea to make up a playlist with many of these tracks. Shifting around a little to ensure variety, it makes a great listen. Obviously I own many of these scores and have them in my iTunes library, but some of them are definitely scores I don't listen to as often, and fusing all these highlights into their own "album presentation" makes me feel like I've opened a treasure chest.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 9:01 AM   
 By:   KevinSmith   (Member)

The one that leaps to mind for me is "Nuclear Scam" from Hunt for Red October.
A good score, but this cue is disproportionately great.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 9:24 AM   

Hey thanks to all who are contributing to this topic, as well as the originator of the thread. It's a fun, constructive discussion that gave me the idea to make up a playlist with many of these tracks. Shifting around a little to ensure variety, it makes a great listen. Obviously I own many of these scores and have them in my iTunes library, but some of them are definitely scores I don't listen to as often, and fusing all these highlights into their own "album presentation" makes me feel like I've opened a treasure chest.

Totally agree. I've been meaning to do this myself for ages but never seem to get around to it.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 11:15 AM   
 By:   jonnyquest   (Member)

Totally agree. I've been meaning to do this myself for ages but never seem to get around to it.

Great minds think alike. smile

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 11:39 AM   
 By:   dashrr   (Member)

Swimming from Twisted Nerve

Posted:   Sep 11, 2013 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I've done something similar, combining best cues or highlights from certain scores into a compilation. It really helps for some scores where there is only one theme. For example some John Barry scores I really only need one cue to enjoy the theme. I have 5 volumes currently and am working on my 6th volume. Some of them are from scores I enjoy from start to finish as well but most are just highlights from scores I rarely listen to.