Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:30 AM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

Do note, a LOT of the threads were actually bumped by Ron Hardcastle. I didn't look to see for sure, but I do believe he actually DIDN'T post more than a couple over the past 9 hours.

I actually didn't even know these threads existed until they were all clustered together on the home page thanks to Ron.

Ugh. Way to go, Ron.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:38 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

A lot of moaning about nothing IMO.

I enjoy sheetmusicman's posts and I can still easily view other threads of interest.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:46 AM   
 By:   AlexCope   (Member)

I think smm did end up condensing the posts about the actual sheet music finally, and these separate threads we're talking about now are the videos they're posting as a result of that project. Sure, they could have put these videos all into one thread too, which might have been better for when someone decides to respond to all of them at once like this, but there's some things to keep in mind:

First, by posting them separately, if someone wants to search for one of these items it will more easily be found since they're labeled under a topic heading, especially if it's an outsider doing the searching who doesn't know about the sheetmusicman thread, so that's a good thing.

Secondly, the videos have already been recorded over a weekend so there's only going to be so many left for them to release, so I don't think this is going to be an ongoing issue.

Also, these video threads were actually posted only a few at a time over several days, so they did at least take care to not release them all at once and I don't think anyone complained about them then (the video ones, not the sheet music ones). Again the only reason these piled up on the main page is because Ron responded to them all at once, and that's unlikely to happen frequently seeing how obscure these are.

Finally, I think it's worth mentioning that smm is not actually marketing anything here, at least not in the sense that they're selling anything, not to my knowledge anyway. There aren't even ads on the videos. I was initially a little irked when I suspected it was going to be about selling me something, but now that I take it in the spirit intended, that this is just Richard Kraft sponsoring a weekend of people sight reading and performing some obscure film-music related sheet music I might not hear otherwise and sharing that for free, well I'm not really concerned anymore about whether or not this is spam.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:49 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

This time I don't think it's sheetmusicman's fault. He's been spacing out the video posts pretty well, the current problem is Ron Hardcastle apparently just noticed them and has to respond to each and every one, so every thread was bumped at the same time, making it look like spam.

Even if this weren't the case, I personally don't see a problem. If one of them is a valid topic on this board, then they all are, and regardless of whether they're in a big tranche or spread out, I don't think it's even a yellow card, let alone a red. If you want to see more non-sheetmusicman threads on the board, feel free to post them yourself!

For once, I disagree with you on the topic of netiquette, TG. At least a bit.

I don't have a problem with the threads and I don't even have a problem with the multiple installments (even though ONE thread would have been preferable).

My problem is with the flooding. And it really goes beyond each member's ability to click on what they like. Example: A guy posts a new thread about a topic he cares for and that he hopes create discussion. Then after 30-40 smm threads, it bumps off the first page without even being noticed, and on into oblivion. I think that's unfortunate.

IMO, messageboard flooding of any kind is a no-no. But it's not up to me. I just hope smm spreads it out a bit from now on, and that any respondents don't feel the urge to reply to all of them within 45 minutes. smile

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:52 AM   
 By:   McMillan & Husband   (Member)

IMO, messageboard flooding of any kind is a no-no. But it's not up to me. I just hope smm spreads it out a bit from now on.

He wasn't the one that did the flooding.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:54 AM   

IMO, messageboard flooding of any kind is a no-no. But it's not up to me. I just hope smm spreads it out a bit from now on.

He wasn't the one that did the flooding.

See edited post. The flooding applies to both the topic initiator and 'common sense' for the respondent in terms of "thread series" of this kind.

Is it a big deal? No, not really. But it's something worth pointing out.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 6:59 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Ron must be having a laugh over this.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   sheetmusicman   (Member)

Have been posting about two a day. How other people respond dictates how threads move up on the page.

Hope the joy of of these little moments of film music outweighs the unhappiness some are experiencing of how the replies by others group up temporarily on the first page of the message board.

These videos are a sharing of an improv session of a group of friends digging through a stack of obscure movie sheet music and playing around with it. We are share some YouTube videos of the event for those who might be interested in joining in the discovery and goofy film music fun.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   Senn555   (Member)

I agree with the sentiment in this thread. While we're at it, I demand that Barnes & Noble not have so many books on the shelves in my line of eyesight as soon as I walk in the door, and I also want Netflix to stop showing me the many movie options I can choose from. Oh, and grocery chains should get rid of all of the weekend special items they have at the front of the store. It angers me that there is way too much food and drink piled up in my way and it forces me to sidestep it all so that I can just get to the produce aisle to buy a watermelon.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Ron must be having a laugh over this.

Well if YOU want a chuckle or three, ask Ron what he thinks of "What's the Title of This Movie?"

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:13 AM   
 By:   smuli of finland   (Member)

sheetmusicman: something

I'd bang'm.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:00 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Come on, guys, don't be jerks. The sheetmusicman posts may not be to everyone's taste but they are well within the board's charter. They are also the extremely rare thing: EXCLUSIVES offering something new that you can't find anywhere else. The folks making them clearly went to a lot of effort just for fun, so if you don't like them, how hard is it just to ignore them? I mean, you have the right to crap all over them (within the board's rules), but why? It's the kind of the thing that gives this board a bad name...

Lukas

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:11 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Come on, guys, don't be jerks. The sheetmusicman posts may not be to everyone's taste but they are well within the board's charter. They are also the extremely rare thing: EXCLUSIVES offering something new that you can't find anywhere else. The folks making them clearly went to a lot of effort just for fun, so if you don't like them, how hard is it just to ignore them? I mean, you have the right to crap all over them (within the board's rules), but why? It's the kind of the thing that gives this board a bad name...
Lukas

The logic and "reasonable-ness" in your post is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you, Lukas.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:12 AM   
 By:   Vermithrax Pejorative   (Member)

I must add - since I started this thread - I have since learned it wasn't so much sheetmusicman himself who made the front page look like a major spam attack, moreso Ron H who replied to every thread in record time!!
Ah well, some peeps like them, some don't. I didn't want to offend or cause a flame war. I was merely stating my opinion - con - about them.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   zooba   (Member)

Lukas I agree.

sheetmusic man has brought new life to the board that can sometimes, sorry to say, be a little mundane. A breath of fresh air like a fad that comes and goes.

I personally hate watching a commercial selling things before watching a youtube video these days or having to watch a commercial or commercials throughout viewing something on hulu. I just turn off the sound and take a breath and faster than I know it the show is back.

It all boils down to individual tolerance. And basically also some just can't live without bitching about something. But that's freedom and we live in a great country full of diverse views and likes and dislikes.

Cue GOD BLESS AMERICA...

And so in closing, in the words of the immortal Harrison Ford from AIR FORCE ONE...

GET OF MY BOAR......I MEAN, PLANE!!!!

CABLE OR REGULAR TV NEEDS THE SHEETMUSIC MAN CHANNEL!!!!!

Sign me up!

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:19 AM   

That's true. In this case, it was Ron causing the flooding, not sheetmusicman. So credit where credit is due.

In either case, the threads are now quickly moving down the board, so no drama anymore. Move along, move along, nothing to see here.... smile

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:27 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

While I have nothing against your posts, I mainly come to FSM to read debates and topics about new and old film scores.
As one can see today, the main page is literally flooded with posts by you about anything but debates and topics.
Would it be possible to create a separate section for these posts, so most film score fans can continue to do what they usually have around here?
Thanks.

I've been meaning to bring up the proliferation of these debate threads. Topics about old and new film scores are fine, in fact sheetmusicman's threads seem to fit in there. But these endless debates go in endless circles and end up getting personal and petty. I don't mind that, you guys can talk about what you want BUT THERE ARE SO DAMNED MANY OF THESE! Everywhere you go on this board they seem to have taken over from the CD announcements and other news I look for. It gets annoying having to sift through this stuff. So why not take the drift of Intrada's prerelease discussion board and have a separate board for all this arguing so the rest of us can have a smoother time. If you disagree me and my cronies will start making a stink and there will be so many flaming threads that the powers that will segregrate you anyway to avoid turmoil on here. Friendly advice from your local bully. big grin

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

I agree with Thor, it wasn't sheetmusicman's fault. smile

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:38 AM   
 By:   Jim Doherty   (Member)

Jesus H. Christ you guys! If you don't want to see the Sheetmusicman posts, is it really THAT hard to scroll down to what you DO want to see. Do you complain at your grocery store when you want Progresso soup but you have to also see the Campbell's soup? Come on, find something more important to complain about.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:44 AM   
 By:   RoryR   (Member)

Come on, guys, don't be jerks. The sheetmusicman posts may not be to everyone's taste but they are well within the board's charter.

I like them too, and don't understand the mentality of this thread at all.