Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 5:24 AM   
 By:   richuk   (Member)

You can be interested in the art of scoring and still have some fairly obscure grails.

And Varese is unique here - no other label has a history of extremely brief releases, many of which have still to see the major meat of the score released two decades later. Their current release model simply doesn't do justice to this collection of scores.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 5:35 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I hope for next year we will get more club releases like Die Hard 2 (and there is a list of 80s/90s scores that fans want to see get finally expanded) as well as CD/DVDs of the concerts Varese organized. As far as the lack of new club releases goes, for me the other labels have more than compensated for any such loss, the amount of titles we've gotten this year was amazing! Take a look at the general discussion page and we still have many titles to be announced by Intrada and La-La Land alone for this year.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 5:53 AM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Actually I am so busy with Intrada, Kritzerland and (especially) La La LandRecords releases, that I hardly care about Varese.

Also their latest Club releases were extremely disappointing for my personal taste.

Yes indeed, we have enough great labels including all the wonderful European ones to keep us busy and satisfied. Obviously, based on the evidence so far, these new people at Varese are not too concerned at providing a decent pr system for the potential customers or engendering goodwill, so be it, it's their loss.

Just to add a little to what I have already said above.

I had very little complaints with the old Varese model. I loved the Club releases and I don't think there was ever a batch from which I didn't buy 1 - 3 titles.

Robert Townson has been a very good friend of film music for many years and in fairness to him we don't know anything about what constraints he is now working under, we have to remember that Varese is now under new ownership. On the other hand Robert Townson may have dozens of exciting new releases lined up for us collectors, as he himself has been one of the greatest film music fans around for many years.

What I fail to understand is why the new owners haven't tried even a little bit to inform the cash spending customers as to what to expect or not to expect? A tiny bit of clarification wouldn't go astray as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they're too mortified to act as they know they can't possibly please everyone...who knows?

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 7:15 AM   
 By:   films1   (Member)

Some real valid points here . ... Varese was a soundtrack trailblazer back in the day ..however .all the other labels seem to be now aligned to what customers and collectors want.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 7:23 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Yes, they have the poorest communication of any label with their fan or customer base. I think that is what annoys me the most.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:41 AM   
 By:   Kevin Costigan   (Member)

Here lies the problem: Expectations lead to premeditated resentments. The problem is not Varese...

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

The problem is not Varese...

There would be no problems if they had not the rights to some great scores in perpetuity. Some of these scores would have been released by LaLaLand or Intrada by now for sure...

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:54 AM   

Here lies the problem: Expectations lead to premeditated resentments. The problem is not Varese...

Its not about expectations or resentments its about targeting your market base ... varese is failing to address market needs , they could have released those concerts on CD or DVD as they have done with the fimucite concerts . I dont expect varese to release every Soundtrack under the sun , but they had a specific niche and have failed to come up with a consistent approach over the last year or so .

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 8:57 AM   

Varese / Robert townson , I do hope you are reading this !! to be fair to Mr Townson he has has been a great champion of film scores, and i do hope that we do see some great releases in the very near future ...

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

I think it's only fair to expect some releases.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:10 AM   

Exactly .. !!!!!

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:40 AM   

Exactly .. !!!!!

Still...the degree to which the lack of Varese expanded editions bothers you...

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 9:53 AM   

It doesent bother me ... there are some maany labels out there doing so much good stuff , i merely stating that varese has lost its way ... and i never even mentioned expanded editions ??

I must assume that you are more than happy with Varese 's recent output???

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 10:29 AM   

It doesent bother me ... there are some maany labels out there doing so much good stuff , i merely stating that varese has lost its way ... and i never even mentioned expanded editions ??

I must assume that you are more than happy with Varese 's recent output???

Id like Varese to expand stuff like everybody else, but I dont NEED them to. Therefore I'm no longer dissapointed when something doesnt show. With no expectations, there are no dissapointments.

There is life beyond film music. :-)

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The new owners at Varese are only interested in getting their own roster of composers used by film makers. They provide concerts as part of their sales pitch to composers to join their setup, saying that not only will they get the composers more work, but that they will also present the music for sale via the world's best-known soundtrack label and some promotional concerts.
They couldn't care less about other film music (except if they see some licensing opportunity for commercials etc).

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 11:47 AM   

The new owners at Varese are only interested in getting their own roster of composers used by film makers. They provide concerts as part of their sales pitch to composers to join their setup, saying that not only will they get the composers more work, but that they will also present the music for sale via the world's best-known soundtrack label and some promotional concerts.
They couldn't care less about other film music.

Have you met them?

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 12:04 PM   

Have you met them?

http://www.insidecannes.com

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 12:20 PM   

Have you met them?

Again, have you met them and asked specifically about the Varese Club or Varese Sarabande label? He just seems to explain his core business of Cutting Edge. Not one word about Varese Sarabande?

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 12:43 PM   

Again, have you met them and asked specifically about the Varese Club or Varese Sarabande label?

Of course not. Why would they want to meet me? I don't have a yacht.
Cutting Edge's plans for Varese have been written about at length. Just Google it.
If they cared one iota about Varese Club customers, they'd have put a simple message on their news page at some point during the last several months.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 12:45 PM   

Of course not. Why would he want to meet me? I don't have a yacht.
Cutting Edge's plans for Varese have been written about at length. Just Google it.

Well then google me a quote that says the following:

They couldn't care less about other film music.

Or am I to conclude that's a pile of BS?