Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Ron Jones Project

Posted:   Feb 6, 2011 - 9:35 PM   
 By:   Joe Brausam   (Member)

Nothing overly complicated. Just threw the text from the notes into Word and formatted it to the size I wanted, placing in the pics and creating the chapters. Cover was done on photoshop by scanning in the box and doing some cleanup on it. Then had it printed out by Lulu for private use.

About how much does something like that run?

Posted:   Feb 8, 2011 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

@historicalproductions

Holy cats this is hard!
This booklet will take me until the end of the week to format out properly. But, I am inspired and I think it will look quite nice when I'm done. Thanks for the idea and the info.

Oh, and the music is good too. I think the early scores are mire memorable than the later stuff. All that shimmery, sparkly Next Gen goodness.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2011 - 6:33 PM   
 By:   Vylette   (Member)

@historicalproductions
I'm loving this set. One of my favorite purchases of 2010. And, inspired by Tiziano's fantastic idea of having the liner notes bound, I thought I'd give it a try myself. However I decided to give it a more uniform look small enough to sit next to the set on my shelf.

Any chance you could email me the completed file so I could get one made?

Posted:   Feb 17, 2011 - 6:40 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

If he did it on lulu they probably still have the file formatted and good to go.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2011 - 7:22 PM   

If he did it on lulu they probably still have the file formatted and good to go.

I would then need to know how to go about finding it on Lulu.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2011 - 7:30 PM   
 By:   historicalproductions   (Member)

Unfortunately I don't have the file any longer nor is it with Lulu anymore. As it was intended to be a one time thing for myself, I made sure that it was deleted from the Lulu site when I was finished and cleaned out my harddrive with other unnecessary files. Since I had my copy I didn't see any reason to keep them.

Posted:   Feb 17, 2011 - 7:35 PM   

Unfortunately I don't have the file any longer nor is it with Lulu anymore. As it was intended to be a one time thing for myself, I made sure that it was deleted from the Lulu site when I was finished and cleaned out my harddrive with other unnecessary files. Since I had my copy I didn't see any reason to keep them.

Well that stinks- thanks for responding so quickly!

Posted:   Feb 18, 2011 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   Accidental Genius   (Member)

@historicalproductions

Holy cats this is hard!
This booklet will take me until the end of the week to format out properly. But, I am inspired and I think it will look quite nice when I'm done. Thanks for the idea and the info.

Oh, and the music is good too. I think the early scores are mire memorable than the later stuff. All that shimmery, sparkly Next Gen goodness.

Adm, if you do manage to have success with this, please let us know how you did it, or if you still have files from it. And thanks for the idea, historical! Looks amazing.

Posted:   Feb 19, 2011 - 8:20 AM   

Adm, if you do manage to have success with this, please let us know how you did it, or if you still have files from it. And thanks for the idea, historical! Looks amazing.

Lulu.com automates the process to a great degree.
I used the Pocket Book Template (Perfect Bound. Standard paper)from Lulu.com. I cut and pasted the text from the FSM PDF document in to the template then spent a couple of days backspacing the raw text back into paragraphs and chapters. I added pics from the startrek.com webside episode guides and used some trek fonts I had for chapter headings and such. Then I used the Box graphic on the SAE website to fashion a cover.
Since I'm no whiz with photoshop (or, indeed, Word), this whole thing took me about 10 days off and on to format and proofread (and italicize- sheesh) and cost about $15 to print and ship.
As I write this, I await the delivery of my printed handiwork.

A lot of scut work, but not exactly hard to do.
Like Joe Bausam above, I will not release my files. I probably won't completely delete that much work, but I will shelve them away from the prying internet.

I have a couple of recent ST books you may like for sale for trade if you check out my Trading Post 'BOOKS! post.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   FalkirkBairn   (Member)

I've just come across this on Amazon UK:

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Disc 10: The Offspring/Menage a Troi/Brothers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Generation-Offspring-Brothers/dp/B004Q61WCY/ref=dm_ap_alb4?ie=UTF8&qid=1299021312&sr=1-180

Is all of the Ron Jones Star Trek Box coming to digital download?

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 4:20 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Yes, it is! In this rare instance were were able to license the digital rights for the Ron Jones set and the first 12 discs will start to appear on itunes, etc. shortly. (The alternates disc 13 and computer games disc 14 will be exclusive to the physical box.)

It's all a great experiment... Hope it works!

Lukas

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   FalkirkBairn   (Member)

I hope it works too. I like the opportunity of purchasing selected episodes.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 4:38 PM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

3-1-11:

At Star Trek's official website they had a "fans ask Rick Berman" feature and question number one is about Ron:

http://www.startrek.com/article/rick-berman-answers-your-questions-part-1

Why was Ron Jones, who’d been composing music for TNG, dismissed after Gene Roddenberry’s death?

Berman: On various sites, one of them being Wikipedia, I’ve read some pretty nasty things that Ron Jones has said about me, with a general perception that his music was too good and I was not interested in good music. That is insulting and also absurd. The music on Star Trek was something that was supervised by me and by Peter Lauritson. Peter had been involved in hiring and firing conductors from the first episode of Next Generation to the last episode of Enterprise. Ron came on at one point, I forget exactly when, and he did numerous episodes for us. We got along fine. And at one point, because there were other composers we’d try out and we’d use for anywhere from one to dozens of episodes, it got to a point where neither Peter nor I were pleased with Ron’s work. As I believe I said at the time to somebody, he was doing the kind of scoring that was calling attention to itself. That doesn’t mean, as some people have interpreted it, that I wanted dull, boring music. What it means is that the music is there to enhance the scene that is going. The scene is not there to enhance the music. And Ron’s stuff was getting big and somewhat flamboyant. It was a decision that Peter and I made that was just a simple moving on to other composers. I think Ron was a perfectly good composer. I didn’t think he was in the same ballpark as Dennis McCarthy or Jay Chattaway, who we used a good deal of the time. But we decided to move on and try other composers.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 4:55 PM   
 By:   Midnight Mike   (Member)

Well, there it is.

Too many notes. smile

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 7:31 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

As I believe I said at the time to somebody, he was doing the kind of scoring that was calling attention to itself. That doesn’t mean, as some people have interpreted it, that I wanted dull, boring music.

Yeah, so it was just an uncanny coincidence that it became dull, boring music.

Note to Berman: If the music in a scene calls attention to itself, ONE of the reasons may be that there ain't nothin' of consequence happening on the screen. Look to your writers for an explanation rather than blaming a guy that, with his talent, actually uplifted some of the more, shall we say, less-than-exciting episodes to a higher quality.

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 7:33 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Well, there it is.

Too many notes. smile

I don't know who you are - but I like your swagger.

As to the annoucement of the Ron Jones Box going to Amazon MP3, the first thing I thought of was Kirk's "Gentlemen... the great experiment!" (I have no doubt this is going to work out like gangbusters for everyone)

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 7:39 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

A Matter of Perspective: Berman vs Jones. Id prefer that fans and audience be the final judge "

Berman: "Fuck the Audience!"

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

A Matter of Perspective: Berman vs Jones. Id prefer that fans and audience be the final judge "

Berman: "Fuck the Audience!"

Oh come on. We may not agree with Berman's creative decision, but it was not only his right but his duty to make the best show he could make. You are inventing this "fuck the audience!" attitude -- it was not Berman's. On fan boards such as this, fans typically make the kneejerk reaction that a choice they would not have made was the result not of a difference of creative opinion, but a result of the producer's contempt for the audience. This is nonsense.

Berman said so himself -- he simply liked McCarthy and Chattaway's approach more. He may also like Nikes, where I like New Balance. He may prefer thick crust pizza to thin. Maybe he chooses golf over tennis. Whatever. These are his choices, and they don't have to be mine. As the showrunner, his job was to make those choices and make a popular show. For the most part, he was very successful at it.

Would you have been more successful? Maybe. But we'll never know, will we?

Posted:   Mar 1, 2011 - 9:46 PM   

All this talk of low-key music dovetails directly with the discussion of the score to 'The Social Network'- low-key and ambienty, as much sound design as music.

David Fincher has asked for this style from several composers including David Shire, and Steven Soderbergh also asks this of Cliff Martinez (fewer notes, fewer!). Apparently Christopher Nolan also expects this. And these guys are some of the most influential directors working today. Howard Shore did this for a long time for David Cronenberg.
Maybe Berman was just ahead of the curve (Never mind Bernard Herrmann's contribution years before Berman ran ST.).
While the work that these directors and producers have asked of their composers generally works in the context of the pictures they produce, it does beg the question of whether it advances the art of making music for film/TV.

Posted:   Mar 2, 2011 - 8:29 PM   
 By:   Woj   (Member)

If Rick Berman had retained Ron Jones through the last three seasons of TNG, The Ron Jones Project would encompass 20 discs instead of 14, would cost $220, and there would have been only 2500 produced. What's done is done.