Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Double post

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Agreed. For me The Hobbit is more like an average Hollywood film series in style, and sadly the scores are taking the same sonic background approach of modern film scores. It's missing strong individual character themes, and the grander of the LOTR's. Very little stands out.

That's a bit harsh as an assessment. If nothing else, the last third of Desolation of Smaug, focussing on the titular dragon features the most engaging film music I've heard this year. I still think these scores stand heads and shoulders about 90% of the rest of film music being written, even if they're not as strong as LOTR.

Chris

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

The Misty Mountains theme was very prominent in the final portion of the first film, used throughout the big action finale. However if I remember right it only appeared once in the score on the album, after the vocal version towards the beginning. As the tune wasn't written by Shore, I assume there was some reason behind its almost complete absence on the album.

Wow, your memory is epically failing you. The Misty Mountains theme appears 6 times on the OST, beyond the song version:

1. The World Is Ahead 1:28-2:01 (The Company begins it's journey with Bilbo)

2. Roast Mutton 2:22-2:31 (The Company fights the trolls - a different, more action-y version is heard instead on the Standard OST, as well!)

3. Moon Runes 0:39-0:58 (Thorin and Balin talk to Elrond)

4. Over Hill 0:00-0:21 (The company leaves Rivendell)

5. Edge of the Wild 0:49-1:04 (Original version of the Company traveling from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains)

6. Over Hill 2:22-3:15 (Revised version of the Company traveling from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains)

It was used way more often in the film, including a great quiet version when Bofur and Bilbo talk in the Misty Mountains cave, a great action version when Gandalf saves the company in Goblin Town, another quiet version when Bilbo and Thorin share a moment before Azog shows up, and finally a great final version at the start of the end credits (before the song)

It doesn't appear in DOS at all.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 12:01 PM   

The biggest missing element is a strong memorable theme for Bilbo... he definitely does have a theme, but I really struggle to remember it!

Wow, I find his theme to be incredible strong and memorable! Please check out these timestamps to hear his main theme:

1. Axe or Sword 4:42-5:53 (This contains the Baggins part, Took part, B section, then end cap) - Gandalf's talk with Bilbo about Belladonna and Bullroarer Took and the invention of Golf.

2. The Adventure Begins 1:03-1:15 (B section only) - Bilbo looks at the contract

3. The White Council 1:30-2:23 (Baggins part then Took part) - Elrond talks with Bilbo

4. A Good Omen 3:41-3:50 (B section only) - Thorin reconciles with Bilbo

5. Dreaming of Bag End (This entire track is a concert arrangement of the theme, showcasing the Baggins Part, then Took part, then B section, then end cap)

6. A Very Respectable Hobbit - this theme presentation features the Took part from 0:31-0:41

Beyond that theme, he also has a "Fussy" theme, "Adventure" theme, and "Burglar" theme!

Posted:   Dec 3, 2013 - 1:47 PM   
 By:   mstanwick856   (Member)

Weird. They took it down. I was listening to it not 10 minutes ago.

Well it's out there in the ether now... you can find it by looking up the individual tracks on youtube.

Chris.

Same thing. I was just settling down to give the youtube cues a good listen and lo, they have disappeared as well.

Oh well, just have to wait for next Monday's release.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2013 - 1:30 PM   

If anybody would like to know what themes play when in the various tracks, please check out the list I compiled here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23907

Posted:   Dec 6, 2013 - 2:21 PM   
 By:   dogplant   (Member)

If anybody would like to know what themes play when in the various tracks, please check out the list I compiled here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23907

Holy mackerel, Jason. You truly are a valiant hobbit.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 8:59 AM   
 By:   Lewis&Clark   (Member)

Me likes DoS a lot. Darker than the first one, less heavy on LotR themes... and beautifully recorded. The download sounds already great, can't wait for the CD tomorrow smile
Awww, and the Smaug stuff is grrrrreat...

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I'm waiting until Tuesday to nab this but I gotta know - do people find this better or the same or lesser than the previous Hobbit score?

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 10:10 AM   
 By:   losher22   (Member)

I totally can't wait for this! The first Hobbit score is one of my favorites of 2013, and I've already been able to download "The Woodland Realm" track for pre-ordering the movie's tickets on Fandango. Sounds excellent!!!

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 10:34 AM   
 By:   random guy   (Member)

definitely enjoyed this one a lot more than the first Hobbit score. first couple of tracks drag a bit but it gets better as it goes on. the action writing on "Forest River" is quite awesome

the last 7 or 8 tracks that focus on Smaug features some of the best music on the album. can't stop playing "A Liar and a thief". and curious to know who or what that english horn melody around the 2 min. mark on "Feast of Starlight" is for. guessing it's elf related.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 10:36 AM   
 By:   Dalboz17   (Member)

I totally can't wait for this! The first Hobbit score is one of my favorites of 2013, and I've already been able to download "The Woodland Realm" track for pre-ordering the movie's tickets on Fandango. Sounds excellent!!!

I'm in the same boat! err, barrel. wink I'm curious if Shore incorporated "I See Fire" into the score at all... (also for the record: I really like Bilbo's "fussy" theme)

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 11:06 AM   

curious to know who or what that english horn melody around the 2 min. mark on "Feast of Starlight" is for. guessing it's elf related.

Click the link I posted a few posts up and you will know!

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   Lewis&Clark   (Member)

I do like this one better for sure! I hope the same will be true for the movie. I love LOTR but was seriously underwhelmed by the first Hobbit.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2013 - 12:57 PM   
 By:   random guy   (Member)

curious to know who or what that english horn melody around the 2 min. mark on "Feast of Starlight" is for. guessing it's elf related.

Click the link I posted a few posts up and you will know!

thanks for that detailed list, makes one appreciate Shore's hard work even more.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2013 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

I'm really liking this score, much more that AUJ.

Still don't think that Hobbit will ever reach the heights or renown that LotR reached, but DoS has certainly allowed Shore to extend his voice after spending too much time revisiting Rings territory in AUJ (not a critism as I can see why that happened).
Going to enjoy this score a lot more and am now really interested in where the score will go in TaBA.
Great stuff.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 5:58 AM   
 By:   mstanwick856   (Member)

I'm really liking this score, much more that AUJ.

Still don't think that Hobbit will ever reach the heights or renown that LotR reached, but DoS has certainly allowed Shore to extend his voice after spending too much time revisiting Rings territory in AUJ (not a critism as I can see why that happened).
Going to enjoy this score a lot more and am now really interested in where the score will go in TaBA.
Great stuff.

I must admit I found the AUJ didn't feel like it measured up to any of the Rings trilogy of films. But after seeing it on blu ray on a large plasma screen I can now appreciate why this is a different beast to those films. It is, IMO, unfortunate that AUJ was preceded by LOTR since I feel it clouded my perception to such an extent that I unwittingly expected more of the same. But it seems to me like comparing apples and oranges - they are both fruit but completely different in texture and flavour etc. So for me I am going to try and appreciate these Hobbit films without reference to the Rings films. Tough but I reckon I can do it.

So too with the scores. In fact, I find it more difficult not to hark back to the Rings sounds when listening to AUJ and now TDoS. But when I listened to both in succession I really appreciated the AUJ one as much as the TDoS.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 6:02 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I just came back from the film.

There were some good things and some bad things. I miss the reliance on slower tempo and mood from the first film, but at the same time it's tighter, story-wise, and balances the comedy element more delicately throughout.

The score, however, is HUGELY disappointing. I didn't like the first one that much either, except the "Misty Mountains" theme, but this one doesn't even have that. It looms and dooms and drones and screams like only Shore at his worst can do. I wouldn't have touched this soundtrack even if they had created a tight, 50-minute program out of it. Sorry.

Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   crocodile   (Member)

Whoa that's really harsh, Thor.

Karol

Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

The score, however, is HUGELY disappointing. I didn't like the first one that much either, except the "Misty Mountains" theme, but this one doesn't even have that. It looms and dooms and drones and screams like only Shore at his worst can do. I wouldn't have touched this soundtrack even if they had created a tight, 50-minute program out of it. Sorry.

Haven't seen the film yet, but on CD(s) there's a lot of generic noodling without any orchestral depth to it.