Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 2:55 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

I'm not. I usually dislike Tiomkin's music.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 3:43 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I won't be buying it any time soon, since I'm terribly broke and can't even afford all of my top-priority, must-have scores, let alone one I don't think I've ever heard.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 3:58 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Sorry, I must bow my head in shame on this one, Basil. Not because I don't like the score (I think I've only heard a brief suite of it, which I loved!), but because I am VERY strict on CD purchases these days, for a variety of reasons.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:03 AM   
 By:   GOLDSMITHDAKING   (Member)

Those who purport to be film music aficionados but do not purchase such a great score need to be exposed here as charlatans.
Admit your folly by adding your name to this List of Shame if you do not intend to acquire this long-lost and now miraculously-resurrected score.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts iv ever read here.Could it possibly be that many people here have never seen the film, have no interest in westerns, not interested in the composer, not over the age of 60?

I have no interest in this release because of all the above reasons.Glad its available for those who actually want it though.

Now, back to my Hans Zimmer playlist.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:20 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

"...Boot hill...boot hill..."

no ta.

"...so cold, so still". I love thatsmile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyiRwlLa80

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:25 AM   

Why it matters is beyond me

All will be made clear in my own good time.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:54 AM   
 By:   Smitty   (Member)

Me, too old school for my taste. Plus I don't even know what an OK Corral is. I suspect a place where people shoot at each other when an 80's score gets released?

It's good to see people who have a sense of humor in this forum. big grin

By the way, I love the Christmas hat on Barlow in your avatar. Salem's Lot would be another great score worth bragging about if the same exact music was composed in the 40s, 50s or early 60s.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:07 AM   

Me, too old school for my taste. Plus I don't even know what an OK Corral is. I suspect a place where people shoot at each other when an 80's score gets released?

Surely good film music from whatever ‘age’ is good music? There were lots of great scores, songs and music composed in the 40s and 50s, just like there has also been from the 70s onwards. I don’t understand why we seemingly have demarcation lines drawn at times by folk on this board. In the final analysis we all appreciate the ‘genre’ that is good film music, and that music can come from different eras and not just specifically one that individuals have to rigidly adhere to and defend.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:12 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

Surely good film music from whatever ‘age’ is good music? There were lots of great scores, songs and music composed in the 40s and 50s, just like there has also been from the 70s onwards. I don’t understand why we seemingly have demarcation lines drawn at times by folk on this board. In the final analysis we all appreciate the ‘genre’ that is good film music, and that music can come from different eras and not just specifically one that individuals have to rigidly adhere to and defend.

See the post above yours, it was a joke, directed at the OP. wink

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:40 AM   

I knew you were joking with your post Francis. I just picked randomly picked your post to reply to, but you get my gist. Several comments have raised the point regarding different 'ages' which I was referring to.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:41 AM   
 By:   nevinson1966   (Member)

i bought 2 copies,could not possibly miss out on such an important release,a classic score from a classic film,long thought lost.

cannot say more than that,but if you know your film-music,you will want this one and i dont think it will be around too long,so get it now or you may regret.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:44 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I knew you were joking with your post Francis. I just picked randomly picked your post to reply to, but you get my gist. Several comments have raised the point regarding different 'ages' which I was referring to.

I also find it annoying how people treat film music from certain decades as an ideology rather than a period of preference.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   Deadwalker   (Member)

Those who purport to be film music aficionados but do not purchase such a great score need to be exposed here as charlatans.
Admit your folly by adding your name to this List of Shame if you do not intend to acquire this long-lost and now miraculously-resurrected score.

Talk about being on a power trip.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 6:25 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

I have not yet decided whether I'm purchasing any of this batch of releases. The most recent LLL release I'm really curious about and debating picking up is Pet Sematary.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   PatrickB   (Member)

Sorry but, as many others, it is too "golden age" for me.
I am very selective in the composers and CDs I purchase.
This attitude dons't make me a "charlatan".

So, you can put me in the "black list", Mr Mac Carthy.

Patrick

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 6:34 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Not familiar with the composer, the music or the film. The quality of the samples are too sub-par for my personal tastes, so even if I loved the score I wouldn't order it. But LLL got me on two of their Black Friday releases so all is good.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

I'm sure this idiotic thread just really warms the cockles of MV Gerhard's heart.
Just want any hard working producer wants to see, posts of 'I'm not buying your
record' spurred by some nefarious weirdo blacklist agenda......

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   Adm Naismith   (Member)

My tastes lie more firmly in the Silver Age, but I do like a number of Golden Age composers. Tiomkin, for whatever reason, simply doesn't do it for me. I've tried a number of his scores and they just don't speak to me. I did try the samples, but [will probably] this a pass.

Yes, that's me, too.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

I plan to buy it!

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 8:27 AM   
 By:   Accidental Genius   (Member)

Well, Baz, I was on the fence on this one, strictly because of cash-flow, but now you've gone and made me feel all guilty and shameful and the like, and I've now actually added it to my shopping card at Movie Music. Ya happy?!?