Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

Looking forwards to the actual cd release

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 2:49 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I've been enjoying a few plays of the "Background to Violence" suite (which shares the Varese "Lust for Life" CD). Twenty minutes of music from The Killers, Brute Force and The Naked City.
Not having played it for a while, I was thinking it would be a good choice for a re-recording, but I was surprised how well the sound of the 1958 recording holds up. Very nice. My CD Pick of the Day!

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Looking forward to this CD. I have all the previous Gamba film score tributes. A bit disappointed however that the score from SAHARA will only be 7:46. I hope Intrada will rectify this in the future with a complete re-recording. FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO and BLOOD ON THE SUN would be other scores I would like to see re-recorded. The box set could be called Miklos Rozsa and WW2. Just an idea.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 8:27 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Perhaps worth noting that Gamba and the BBC Philharmonic have made at least three CDs for Chandos in recent times of Rozsa's orchestral works. I haven't heard them, but I've read good reviews, so they come to this new recording with plenty of experience performing his music.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 9:44 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Great cover, I hope the performance is as good.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 9:45 PM   

Looking forward to this CD. I have all the previous Gamba film score tributes. A bit disappointed however that the score from SAHARA will only be 7:46. I hope Intrada will rectify this in the future with a complete re-recording. FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO and BLOOD ON THE SUN would be other scores I would like to see re-recorded. The box set could be called Miklos Rozsa and WW2. Just an idea.

Great idea Cody. Save a copy for me! smile

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 9:49 PM   

I've been enjoying a few plays of the "Background to Violence" suite (which shares the Varese "Lust for Life" CD). Twenty minutes of music from The Killers, Brute Force and The Naked City.
Not having played it for a while, I was thinking it would be a good choice for a re-recording, but I was surprised how well the sound of the 1958 recording holds up. Very nice. My CD Pick of the Day!

I always enjoyed this cd too. Actually, I bought the LP in 1971 and later bought the Varese CD.

It leaves one wanting more from The Killers, Brute Force and The Naked City. And for that matter Criss Cross, Desert Fury, Kiss the Blood off My Hands etc. We need more Rozsa film noir and not another Ben Hur!

Posted:   Feb 2, 2014 - 11:01 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%2010806

About what one would expect.
Sounds great the little I sampled, and it's especially wonderful to have The Jungle Book split into tracks unlike the Varese.

For those who are willing to compare, how much of Thief is not on the Elmer recording? Is it the same suite as on Varese? (taking a quick peek, the titles seem different but the lengths of the suites similar)

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 12:11 AM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

For the record, Chandos has to date released not four but three Vaughan Williams film collections, available separately or in a box set.

Unless, of course, William, you know of a fourth of which I'm unaware... Which would be good news to me; you can't have too much RVW in the world.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 12:53 AM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

you can't have too much RVW in the world.

Oh Preston...a man after my own heart. smile

This looks like a nice CD actually. I have nothing from Jungle Book or Sahara. Not that much interested in Thief, but I'm not averse to it. And B-H I realize is a must if you're going to go for the mainstream market.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 3:16 AM   
 By:   Guenther K   (Member)

"Chandos seems to be wavering on the edge of trying to please both camps"

Chandos is NOT trying very hard to please film music enthusiasts ......... giving us ONLY 7 minutes of a possible 77 minute cd! frown

All 5000 ? They would be broke if that group was of a major interest.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 9:05 AM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

backatcha pp --

For JUNGLE but "not much interested" in THIEF? Those are perhaps my two favorite Rozsa film scores. Thanks to Varese/Collosseum, I already have a complete, narration-free JUNGLE book suite, but it'll be nice to have another one available, especially if they program it with separate segment options.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Evidently a JB suite without a speaker. This surprises me. It's a composition "for Narrator and Orchestra." The words are right there in the score, in both German and English: "Dies ist die Geschichte von Mowgli . . ." I question how well it works without the text. Yes, there was the Seibel version, but the fact that I can scarcely remember it (whereas the Sabu and Leo Genn versions are indelible) suggests that the speaker is essential. Without him (or her -- I've heard a young girl speaker), the thing drags on too long. In fact, the 30-minute score is a bit long in general. The "silly chatter of the monkey folk" does begin to pall in the third repetition.

And no contralto soloist?

THIEF is an entirely different matter. RCA tried to shoehorn some narration into the orchestral suite as a flip-side companion to JB. It was a silly idea, badly executed, that has been justly forgotten.

P.S. I see that Maestro Seibel died in 2011. He was music director of the Nuremberg Symphony in the 1980s, which explains his participation in that recording.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

here is the booklet:

http://www.chandos.co.uk/pdf/CHAN%2010806.pdf

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 2:06 PM   
 By:   Jon Lewis   (Member)

BASIL W:
"I've been enjoying a few plays of the "Background to Violence" suite (which shares the Varese "Lust for Life" CD). Twenty minutes of music from The Killers, Brute Force and The Naked City.
Not having played it for a while, I was thinking it would be a good choice for a re-recording, but I was surprised how well the sound of the 1958 recording holds up. Very nice. My CD Pick of the Day!"

PFK:
"I always enjoyed this cd too. Actually, I bought the LP in 1971 and later bought the Varese CD.

It leaves one wanting more from The Killers, Brute Force and The Naked City. And for that matter Criss Cross, Desert Fury, Kiss the Blood off My Hands etc. We need more Rozsa film noir and not another Ben Hur! "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I adore the Background to Violence suite; it's a small, vehement masterpiece IMO and I would love for someone to do a new recording of it as filler to some larger Rozsa score. About the stereo version on that Varese CD: I always found the sound a little pallid. Naxos have recently done their own transfer of that LP (I guess from vinyl) as a digital release; last month I broke down and bought the download from theclassicalshop.net, and I like Naxos' sound quality much better than Varese's. It doesn't even sound like a vinyl transfer and it's much more robust.

About the new Chandos Rozsa album, I just bought the MP3s off the same classicalshop.net and will report back after I listen. I want to love the old narrated Jungle Book recording with Sabu but I just find myself wishing I could excise the narration, so this new one is warranted from my standpoint. The Prague Silva Thief suite has great sound and good performances but I'm up for a new one with this orchestra. And it looks like more music than the six pieces from the old suite...?

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 2:28 PM   

"Chandos seems to be wavering on the edge of trying to please both camps"

Chandos is NOT trying very hard to please film music enthusiasts ......... giving us ONLY 7 minutes of a possible 77 minute cd! frown

All 5000 ? They would be broke if that group was of a major interest.

True, but the "new" Rozsa Sahara is only 7 minutes out of an 80 minutes cd! The Jungle Book and Thief of Bagdad look like what we already now have from the old Varese cd.

Still, it looks like a fine cd and hopefully will introduce new people to Rozsa.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 2:37 PM   
 By:   Jon Lewis   (Member)

"The Jungle Book and Thief of Bagdad look like what we already now have from the old Varese cd."

Which is spiritedly performed and listenably recorded but not excellent on either count.

I'm 4/7 of the way through the new Thief suite and so far my verdict is: you need this.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 2:50 PM   

"The Jungle Book and Thief of Bagdad look like what we already now have from the old Varese cd."

Which is spiritedly performed and listenably recorded but not excellent on either count.

I'm 4/7 of the way through the new Thief suite and so far my verdict is: you need this.

Glad to hear you like the performance Jon. I do plan to buy the cd, but I'm not overly excited about it, since I now have 90% of the music!

The Thief of Bagdad might well be my favorite Rozsa score. This cd has what might be nearly called the "source music," fine as it is. There is no dramatic score here. It does have the love theme which is beautiful.

Again, the cd is aimed at classical collectors as an introduction to Rosza. I need no introduction to Rozsa, I discovered him 1956 with The Thief of Bagdad!

How is the Sahara suite?

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 2:53 PM   

Evidently a JB suite without a speaker. This surprises me. It's a composition "for Narrator and Orchestra." The words are right there in the score, in both German and English: "Dies ist die Geschichte von Mowgli . . ." I question how well it works without the text. Yes, there was the Seibel version, but the fact that I can scarcely remember it (whereas the Sabu and Leo Genn versions are indelible) suggests that the speaker is essential. Without him (or her -- I've heard a young girl speaker), the thing drags on too long. In fact, the 30-minute score is a bit long in general. The "silly chatter of the monkey folk" does begin to pall in the third repetition.

And no contralto soloist?

THIEF is an entirely different matter. RCA tried to shoehorn some narration into the orchestral suite as a flip-side companion to JB. It was a silly idea, badly executed, that has been justly forgotten.

P.S. I see that Maestro Seibel died in 2011. He was music director of the Nuremberg Symphony in the 1980s, which explains his participation in that recording.

While I do like The Jungle Book with narration, I prefer it with no narration.

I want less Sabu ........ and more Rozsa! smile