Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 10:22 AM   
 By:   Jörn   (Member)

As person, Charlton Heston was contoversal: In the 60`s he was active for human rights, later he becomes that conserative guy who make some of his old fans make theire heads shaking.

As actor, he gave us such great characters like Ben Hur, Taylor (Planet of the Apes), Robert Neville (the Omega Man), Thorn (Soylent Green) and many others.
He defenetly wasnt a guy, who could play EVERY role, but he was indeed a CHARACTER!
Thats something that i indeed missing, when I watch the most actual movie stars.

Therefore he will not be be forget....

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 3:11 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

Kirk Douglas: Also has a chiseled face and powerful presence but had versatility and acting talent.

Charlton Heston: Played basically one part. He could have been replaced by a cardboard cutout. He had a face and voice but nothing more.

Are you saying that his parts in Naked Jungle, The Private War of Major Benson, Ben-Hur, Will Penny and The Omega Man are all basically the same?

You know, this is a discussion forum where you're allowed to express your opinion freely, but if your opinions are too silly people soon stop reading you.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 3:22 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Some other Heston films with good scores:

THE BUCCANEER (Elmer Bernstein)
DIAMOND HEAD (John Williams)
THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY (Alex North)
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (Alfred Newman)
THE THREE MUSKETEERS (Michel Legrand)

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Kirk Douglas: Also has a chiseled face and powerful presence but had versatility and acting talent.

I totally disagree, Douglas was loud and over acted, Heston was far superior. Why Heston is so underrated baffles me??

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

Well I'm a fan, he was a good actor, he didn't have to be anymore than that as he was a star, he had charisma & was larger than life. He could carry a film, like the Duke & other big stars of the day. No stars like that now, but they don't seem to make those kind of films anymore.

So many great scores for his films, not the best, but the one I listen to the most is The Omega Man. A big favourite is The War Lord, & in the UK, Eureka are releasing A Blu-ray of it in April with an isolated music & effects track. We're also getting a 55 Days At Peking Blu in April, another favourite score, great La-La Land CD.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

Don't forget '55 Days at Peking'.

Also

CHARLTON HESTON = BAD ACTOR

You are SO wrong!

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 4:12 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

TO PIERREP-You are surprised they spit on HESTON on this board, You got to be kidding, they will spit on anything if they could get away with it, I am not negative at all it just the way it is. Also it is a board that is and never will be 50/50 on important issues in life.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 4:25 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Another one was Two Minute Warning - Charles Fox.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 8:16 PM   
 By:   PIERREP   (Member)

TO PIERREP-You are surprised they spit on HESTON on this board, You got to be kidding, they will spit on anything if they could get away with it, I am not negative at all it just the way it is. Also it is a board that is and never will be 50/50 on important issues in life.

Maybe, but i did not see this one coming ! Of all the actors i could have picked a less talented one ! Anyway, i was just talking about the music. I know this board, and when i post i know there will always be somebody out there to say unreal bla-bla !

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 8:29 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

Those who call Charlton Heston a bad actor obviously know nothing about acting. He found champions in Laurence Olivier, Vanessa Redgrave (who played Lady MacBeth to Heston's MacBeth on stage) and Orson Welles, all of whom know a bit about acting.

What other contemporary of Heston's could have played Moses, El Cid or Ben-Hur?

The very idea of Marlon Brando demanding the red sea part, Glenn Ford driving a chariot or Robert Mitchum at the battle of Valencia is enough to send me into a giggle fit! Nothing against these gentlemen and fine actors but when Heston roared for the Red Sea to part, you believed it! One of the very few actors able to be convincing outside of the 19th and 20th centuries.

His grizzled cowboy in Will Penny, his slyly humorous Richelieu in The Three Musketeers, the weary cavalry officer in Major Dundee attest to his versatility as an actor.

Why do I suspect his unpopular NRA stance have more to do with the negative comments toward his solid acting than his performances?

Great post, and really nails it. Heston had far more range that he is credited for, but his physically imposing stature limited him to certain kinds of roles - all the more amazing that he was allowed that deft turn as Richelieu in the Musketeers films.

Personally, I *loathed* Heston's NRA advocacy, especially after Columbine. However, one should separate the politics from the artist, I feel. He gave indelible performances in a wide variety of movies, he carved an imposing swath, if I may mangle the language a bit, across a multitude of epic canvases as no one else could, in his day or in the present one.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 8:50 PM   
 By:   robertmro   (Member)

Even Clark Gable had a break through performance in "Gone With The Wind" when Bonnie Blue Butler has died and Melanie is the only one who can console him.

My cat is a better actor than Charlton Heston. She definitely has a greater range.

I can watch '55 days at Peking' over and over for the music but I try to imagine a better actor in the lead. Someone like William Holden, Kirk Douglas or Gregory Peck.

Steve Boyd is so much convincing in his part in 'Ben-Hur'.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 8:57 PM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

I've had a 'Charlton Heston's Greatest Hits' (themes and songs) home made compilation around for decades!!

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:01 PM   

Just look at the AMC list of the 50 greatest Actors of All Time and Heston isn't even on it.
That's AMC! You can't a more definitive list than that.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:05 PM   
 By:   Eugene Iemola   (Member)

I think Gregory Peck would have been hilarious, same for Holden. Can you see either of them reining in those Arabian horses going around the curve? "Whoa, Nellie!" smile

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:06 PM   

I think Gregory Peck would have been hilarious, same for Holden. Can you see either of them reining in those Arabian horses going around the curve? "Whoa, Nellie!" smile

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:09 PM   

Damn! Double post! My first one. Damn damn damn damn damn!

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:18 PM   

Damn! Double post! My first one. Damn damn damn damn damn!

Don't be so hard on yourself Eugene.

My first choice for Ben-Hur would have been Edmond O'Brein

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:21 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

I think Charlton Heston was a terrific actor. And I hated, hated, hated his politics. You have to separate the two.

Anyone who has seen WILL PENNY or THE THREE MUSKETEERS and still says Chuck was a bad actor, can't be taken seriously as a critic of acting. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Did he have misfires or some wooden performances. Of course. But in the right role, he could be great.

AMC is far from definitive...it's a popularity contest.

But back to the music. I remember reading an interview with Heston in a magazine back around the time EL CID was in release, I think. Or maybe between BEN-HUR and EL CID. The interview was at Heston's home and the interviewer mentioned that a sound system was piping music throughout the house. It was Miklos Rozsa's BEN-HUR score.
The reporter asked why he was playing that. suggesting it seemed a bit pretentious or egotistical.
Heston merely replied (paraphrasing) "I just like it. It's really great music"

Posted:   Feb 8, 2014 - 9:23 PM   

Or maybe Robert Mitchum with Jane Russell as Esther, in which case it would be Polyester.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2014 - 1:29 AM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

My cat is a better actor than Charlton Heston. She definitely has a greater range.

It never ceases to amuse me when someone describes Heston as 'wooden' or 'stiff'. Stiff he could be when uncomfortable in a part, but in the right part was neither stiff nor wooden. Wooden means unable to emote. John Gavin was wooden. Kevin Costner is wooden. Heston was never wooden in that sense and could emote and declaim with the best of them. Now if you don't like the 'epic' style of acting (in which case you probably don't like epics per se) then you're probably among those who consider the best actors as those who act the most naturally, that is, those who act the closest to how they would in real life--and we certainly have a plethora of those today. But that isn't the right style for a true epic, as we saw recently with Orlando Bloom's performance in Kingdom of Heaven. Actors like Heston, Brynner, Olivier and even Boyd in B-H, realized that naturalism was wrong for those types of films, just as it would be for Shakespeare, and adjusted their performances accordingly.

Now we have a generation who are not only ignorant of history but the history of film, for whom actors like Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg are the acme of thespianism. They see someone like Heston and think, wow, this guy's so unnatural. And that's not an entirely new opinion either. I read somewhere recently that during the filming of B-H some of the crew referred to Heston as 'The big cornpole'. Clearly even then his style wasn't appreciated. Yet it won him the Oscar, and more importantly helped carry the film to huge success. Few of those who love that film can imagine anyone in the role but Heston. Same with El Cid. Yet this polarity of perception persists.

Bottom line: love him or hate him, throw at him whatever epithet you wish, but Heston was never wooden. He was, like every other competent actor, great in those roles that suited his temperament and awkward in those that didn't.