Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 10:48 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Doctor Zhivago - Maurice Jarre

Land of the Phaorohs - Dimitri Tiomkin

A Summer Place - Max Steiner

Hey what if they recorded the original Star Wars Trilogy?

NOT FUNNY

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 10:52 PM   

Personally, I don't think I've liked a re-recording. They almost never have the same personality or flavor of the original. Even Goldsmith himself, in his concert work and a few other projects, could never quite get them to have the same quality of his original recordings. Goldsmith's work in particular was dependent on the specific orchestration and conducting done at the time. It rarely seems reproducible. They're like an English translation of another language.

Really depends, some re-recordings I absolutely adore, others liks the Goldsmith conducted on Varese are really average at best.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 10:54 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I would quite like a re-recording of Bandolero. I'm not satisfied with even the most recent Intrada version, with it's awful coming-and-going hiss during the main title.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 10:56 PM   

How about... LONESOME DOVE?

It's unlikely we'll get a complete version of the original recording - but a complete rerecording would sound terrific.

And given the popularity of the miniseries, it would have a bigger audience than just film score fans...

NOT AMUSING

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

What are you going on about Mr. Eastman? Those things you are replying to are from a poster on a different thread.
Have you been enjoying one schnapps too many tonight?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 11:03 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

The interesting thing about The Satan Bug is the cues that feature the hard-to-reproduce electronics are already quite well-represented on the FSM album, and in great sound. The big orchestral showpieces in the score don't really feature electronics at the forefront and I'd love to see someone take a crack at rerecording them--along with The Chairman (which certainly sounds like James has on his list) and some of the others listed here.

I also agree it's VERY difficult to reproduce the original performances, something even Goldsmith was hard pressed to do. You have to expect that there's some room for interpretation here, and it's possible to be surprised--the recent rerecordings of Lawrence of Arabia, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and Conan the Barbarian have been superb IMO so it's always possible to hit it out of the park. But in general, the original film recordings are great because they HAD to be great--they had to function within the film exactly, and the studio would pay for just as many takes as needed to get that performance, whereas on a rerecording project, at some point you're going to run out of time and/or money. I'm very excited about the Goldsmith project though--long overdue!

Jeff, I have to disagree a bit with your statements...

While major studios as rule did give the composers a decent music budget and time to record scores as rule, sometimes the budgets cause some folks to have to record a lot of music in a very short amount of time and some goofs and mistakens were covered by Dialogue and sound effects.

In the case of Independent productions and some interestional ones, comoposers were had to record with with Orchestras and in studios that weren't quite up to the level of say 20th Century Fox.

In the case of CONAN THE DESTROYER, Basil HATED and I mean HEATED the recording he got from the Italian Orchestra which was full of mistakes,poor performances,etc

THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD's orchestra sounds like a high school marching band on a bad day..

HOOISER's performances are more then a bit shakey...

I could go on.

The myth that the soundtrack recording is the best is just that a myth, A good chuck are very good, but there are a number of scores that would greatly benefit from a new recording

Which raises the time honored question:

What's more important?

The soundtrack recording or the music itself?

Good case in point, CONAN THE BARBARIAN

The PROMETHUS/TADLOW recording reflects what Basil Wrote and wanted the music to be.

The INTRADA CD is what he able to get from the orchestra and choir for the film.

Two Different animals, both are valid in my opinion.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Nov 29, 2012 - 11:07 PM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

I'd rather would like to see/ hear some of his unrealeased or lost
scores( like SHAMUS ) but we had a try on this one
and it didnt turn out to be as groovy as the original.
I like what TADLOW is doing but HOUR OF THE GUN has a kind
of seventies " groovy" feeling as well ( especially
within the Main Title) and, just like in the case of
Lalo Schifrin's rerecordings for MANNIX or BULLITT,
they as well lacked the coolness, they lost the mojosmile
The other thing mentioned was,- in the case of a rerecording of lets say LEGEND,
to get rid of the synth...
Well as much as I dont like synth either and
think it's sometimes an easy way out, I think Jerry put
the effects in it for a reason ( especially in LEGEND where the synth
sound represented the otherworldly freakishness
of the GOBLINS)
If you do exchange them, you change the score and you know
what happened to George Lucas when he changed
his THX ( forgot the numbersmile) movie
when he put some windows into the set.. The whole meaning of
A claustrophobic world got lost and therefore pretty much ruined
his own movie.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 12:07 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

The THRILLER tv scores were impressive and varied beyond belief.

I'll go along with THE CHAIRMAN score including the song "The World Only Lovers See"

And am I the only one who thought 100 RIFLES sounded kind of lousy.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 12:45 AM   

I'll go along with THE CHAIRMAN score including the song "The World Only Lovers See"

Well that ALREADY has been recorded by Katie Campbell for BSX RECORDS

It was arranged and produced by Joohyun Park.

It's available on ITUNES and AMAZON

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/chairman-world-that-only-lovers/id544444101

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 3:28 AM   

I'd rather would like to see/ hear some of his unrealeased or lost
scores( like SHAMUS ) but we had a try on this one
and it didnt turn out to be as groovy as the original.
I like what TADLOW is doing but HOUR OF THE GUN has a kind
of seventies " groovy" feeling as well ( especially
within the Main Title) and, just like in the case of
Lalo Schifrin's rerecordings for MANNIX or BULLITT,
they as well lacked the coolness, they lost the mojosmile
The other thing mentioned was,- in the case of a rerecording of lets say LEGEND,
to get rid of the synth...
Well as much as I dont like synth either and
think it's sometimes an easy way out, I think Jerry put
the effects in it for a reason ( especially in LEGEND where the synth
sound represented the otherworldly freakishness
of the GOBLINS)
If you do exchange them, you change the score and you know
what happened to George Lucas when he changed
his THX ( forgot the numbersmile) movie
when he put some windows into the set.. The whole meaning of
A claustrophobic world got lost and therefore pretty much ruined
his own movie.

Do you really know whAT YOU ARE TAkling about? "Hour of the Gun" a 70's sound, give me a break.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 3:38 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

There is nothing I crave of Goldsmith in re-recorded format, especially not in a C&C format. That would have to be stuff that is completely unreleased otherwise because the tapes are lost etc. -- like the early TV stuff and all that. But I'm not a JG completist, so that is of marginal interest to me. First of all, there are quite a few regular JG "must have" titles I need that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 5:55 AM   
 By:   rickO   (Member)

Hi Everyone,

This thread is a lot of fun!

As interesting as it can be to speculate on what Prometheus is working on for this Goldsmith Project, I think it is unrealistic to believe they will re-record scores that are either widely available (Legend, Total Recall, Capricorn One, etc) or which already have solid performance quality. Hour of the Gun's masters are supposedly lost, and the existing recording begs for an improvement + extra music. Their decision to re-do The Chairman is probably based off this too. Other good candidates:

The Salamander (lost elements)
Damnation Alley (electronic elements MIA; this one would be a challenge to do)
In Harm's Way
Reincarnation of Peter Proud (another difficult one to re-create)

-Rick O.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 6:16 AM   
 By:   toposs   (Member)

In the case of Independent productions and some interestional ones, comoposers were had to record with with Orchestras and in studios that weren't quite up to the level of say 20th Century Fox.

In the case of CONAN THE DESTROYER, Basil HATED and I mean HEATED the recording he got from the Italian Orchestra which was full of mistakes,poor performances,etc

I could go on.

The myth that the soundtrack recording is the best is just that a myth, A good chuck are very good, but there are a number of scores that would greatly benefit from a new recording

Which raises the time honored question:

What's more important?

The soundtrack recording or the music itself?

The PROMETHUS/TADLOW recording reflects what Basil Wrote and wanted the music to be.

The INTRADA CD is what he able to get from the orchestra and choir for the film.

Two Different animals, both are valid in my opinion.

Ford A. Thaxton

Lord Mister Ford : You are so right !!

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 6:42 AM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD's orchestra sounds like a high school marching band on a bad day..

HOOISER's performances are more then a bit shakey...

I could go on.

All very true. I know Goldsmith had problems with both the orchestra and recording venue on INCHON.

I'm sure that James and Luc have THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD on their radar as a potential re-recording candidate. The Silva suite, while brief, was well recorded.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 7:27 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

I would also vote for Shamus.
Also great would be his possibly lost TV movie scores, especially Pursuit and Indict and Convict!

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   Rnelson   (Member)

QBVII expanded. Unless the score itself is lost there is no excuse for not making that happen.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 8:16 AM   
 By:   cdelelee   (Member)

Ford A. Thaxton

And that's the one wanted by the fans of the film.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 8:25 AM   

Ford A. Thaxton

And that's the one wanted by the fans of the film.

Which raises the question, what's more important

The Original Soundtrack Recording or the Music itself?

Because in this case the composer got the best results he could at the time and it was compromised by the fact that the players were not quite up to the task of doing what the composer wanted and instruments were not available that were part of his original orchestrations for the recording sessions in Rome.

I'm as happy as the next person to have the original tracks available, but to say it's the BEST recording of that music is another issue.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 8:31 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I'm as happy as the next person to have the original tracks available, but to say it's the BEST recording of that music is another issue.

Exactly! That's a point I've been trying to make in various threads on the eternal originals vs. rerecordings topic -- most recently just a week ago or so.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2012 - 8:48 AM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

Ford, I do agree with most of the examples you cited--I've said before The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is a perfect candidate for a rerecording and is actually best presented on the short Silva suite, since the original is seriously flawed in terms of both sound and performance. No doubt that there are many original score performances that could be improved on, just as a rule I think the vibrancy of recordings/performances done for film is hard to beat. But I am all for doing these rerecordings, even if I don't prefer all of them. Particularly in cases where elements don't exist (I can't think of a better example than Lawrence of Arabia), it's a brilliant way to preserve and enhance the reputation of these scores. Count me as very excited about this project...