Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 22, 2012 - 6:45 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

Wow. I had no idea there were so many. You guys and gals never cease to amaze me.

Now playing:

Posted:   Dec 23, 2012 - 8:20 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

SILENT NIGHT BLOODY NIGHT-73- much underrated genre film has a very haunting rendition of SILENT NIGHT when the looneys do a number on the staff.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2013 - 10:04 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

Two more to add to the list:

Police Academy ("Santa Claus Is Coming to Town")

and

Those Calloways ("Silent Night" and "O Little Town Of Bethlehem")

Posted:   Dec 20, 2013 - 10:25 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

My least favorite: "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?" John Barry OHMSS What was he thinking? Does anyone else here think it was a joke?

Love that song!

And have to add, serves a nice ironic function, ratcheting up the tension as the villains close on Bond.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2013 - 11:05 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST uses "Jingle Bells." And in THE FIVE PENNIES (1959), Danny Kaye sings the tune.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2013 - 11:11 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

There's plenty of Christmas source music, arranged by Elmer Bernstein, in TRADING PLACES (1983).

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 2:31 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is not a Christmas movie, but is often counted as such since some of the tracks have a very Christmassy feel (and there are a couple of scenes that take place during Christmas).

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 5:01 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is not a Christmas movie, but is often counted as such since some of the tracks have a very Christmassy feel (and there are a couple of scenes that take place during Christmas).

So much so that Christmas commercials have been ripping off Elfman's score for many, many years now to evoke a sense of holiday wonder!

Depending on whether you consider it a "Christmas movie" or "a movie that takes place at Christmas," Gremlins fits the bill. Batman Returns takes place at Christmas and I think there is some non-score-related caroling, although I may be wrong about that as it's been a few years. The first "Harry Potter" has John Williams' bizarre ghost Christmas song, as well as a very Christmassy piece that follows.

And the recent score to "Batman: Arkham Origins" takes place on Christmas Eve and perverts "Carol of the Bells" into a theme for the Joker.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 5:36 AM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

Like the first film, Die Hard 2 takes place just before Christmas day and we hear Carol Of The Bells as John McClane is entering the airport terminal after his in-laws' car is towed away. It also has that wonderful airline crash scene to give us the warm fuzzies. smile

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

No mention of Malcolm Arnold's 'Three Kings' music in 'Whistle Down the Wind'?

Or those early snow scenes in 'Citizen Kane' and 'Kings Row'?

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 8:14 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

In the opening scene of CAST A GIANT SHADOW (1966) as James Donald tracks Kirk Douglas in Macy's store in NYC, it's Christmas-time! Cue : Elmer Bernsteinian renditions of "Deck The Halls..." and "Jingle Bells".