Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

I blame those lazy English wankers for this!
I read that SEVENTY THREE PERCENT (!) of dvd and cd purchases by brits is done online!!!
Can't those tossers get off their fat arses and do some in-store shopping?

No wonder the british empire fell apart - no initiative.
bruce

That'd be a worry, if only the US equivalent weren't 77.7%.

smile

what is your source for this dubious statistic????!
brm

Well, OBVIOUSLY, I made it up. But on the other hand can you disprove it?

TG

you'd make an excellent barrister TG!
bruce

I rest my arse, m'lud.

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 1:14 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Tall Guy aka "he who must be obeyed"

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 5:18 PM   
 By:   Clark Wayne   (Member)

You'd be mad to risk ordering anything from them IMHO. They could fold at any minute and there is no guarantee you'd get your money back.

They don't charge your card until they ship.

The worse things that might happen are that they don't fulfil your order, or you get something faulty, and they won't let you return it.

http://hmv.com/hmv/site_down_1a.jpg

this.

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 5:19 PM   
 By:   Clark Wayne   (Member)

Duplicate

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 8:25 PM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Also most HMV stores only stocked piles of the most popular titles (the same ones heavily discounted by supermarkets) and very rarely ever stocked and titles I was interested in. Their soundtrack section was mostly filled by Glee titles.

Which remains true (although HMV Oxford Circus is the only store in London that's stocked the odd FSM title... invariably pricier than the others).

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 8:36 PM   
 By:   pete   (Member)

I spent two years in the UK (1997-1999) and my God that Oxford Circus HMV carried some great stuff. My collection grew quite a lot while I was there, which wasn't a good thing as I was supposed to be saving to travel.

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 8:57 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

It sought of becomes a broken record, they will all go down, just a matter of time.

Posted:   Jan 17, 2013 - 11:20 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

I lived in London (well, North London) from 92-95...university...and the amount of time I spent in HMV Oxford Street? Well, if I'd had spent as much time on my studies I would have got a First easy! Sooooo many VHS's I bought from that place, way too many tapes (yes, was still on tapes)....regular weekend haunt!

Sad to see HMV on the wane, but I'm afraid if you are an entertainment store and don't adapt your business model to go with the times, you really have got a big problem. I posted on Faceache the other day that my local HMV has opened up a "Used DVD" section...yes, fine, but you are a good 15 years too late. And not one used Blu-ray, yet a shop (another national chain that deals with recent - but not new - releases, both new and used products) about 8 doors down is doing a booming trade in them. It just doesn't work, you have to move with the times a little. Other shops do, why not HMV? It's heartbreaking...and I will miss it if it disappears altogether. Also - so many times I have discovered a movie just while browsing...

Even worse for Gloucester - our HMV is next to our (ex) Jessops! You couldn't write it.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2013 - 5:31 AM   

For those with Gift Vouchers/Cards - GOOD NEWS!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21118711

Posted:   Jan 21, 2013 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   Damian   (Member)

Just thought I'd say HMV used to be good then they went shit.I bought a lot from them over the years.Then they became robbing *********.!5/16 quid for a cd,when only 8 quid-ish on line(even their own site was cheaper than the shop).So I had one little tear,for nostalgic reasons and then got over it.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2013 - 8:39 AM   
 By:   Vermithrax Pejorative   (Member)

Judging by that report and their state of finances, I don't think they're going away anytime soon. Streamlined, with some store closures? Probably. But I think they will maintain a presence in a lot of cities yet.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2013 - 8:40 AM   

Future for HMV looking a little rosier.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21141209 - and of course Gift Vouchers and Cards being accepted again from today. Chris Rimmer - you reading this?

Posted:   Jan 22, 2013 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

Oh yes, I'm reading this thank you.

I shall soon be making my way down to my local HMV.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2013 - 10:26 AM   

Good stuff - glad you'll be able to use your Xmas pressie!

Posted:   Jan 31, 2013 - 8:43 AM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hmv-live-tweets-sackings--staff-of-troubled-chain-take-to-twitter-to-liveblog--mass-executions--151122974.html#AwRbobV

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 1:25 AM   

...but something worked....HMV is no longer in administration.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 4:59 PM   
 By:   topscore   (Member)

Music and media in general is going digital now. CD/DVD stores will be obselete in about 5 years, so grab what you can!

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 5:08 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Music and media in general is going digital now. CD/DVD stores will be obselete in about 5 years, so grab what you can!

For stores selling CDs it will be less than that. They're virtually all gone now, apart from those specializing primarily in used CDs.

Posted:   May 3, 2013 - 5:28 PM   

I partially agree...with the current business model, tax/VAT issue (certainly in the UK, anyway) and copyright/marketing models in place, stores that primarily trade in new CD's are doomed. However, with some (belated) thinking and (quick) action behind those issues - I think the business of new CD's may still have a decent future in the high street.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 5:10 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

It's been rumoured ever since HMV first went into administration, prior to being saved and bought by Hilco, but it's now been confirmed that HMV is selling their huge flagship shop in Oxford Street - which is/was the largest record shop in the World.

That's the bad news but the good news is that HMV is moving back into their original shop in Oxford Street, close to Bond Street station - a shop where I used to spend many hours browsing amongst the three floors for LP records in the early '60s. Although the Bond Street shop is smaller, it's been obvious for some time that their current premises with three massive floors are far too large for the High Street record/DVD market nowadays.