Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 1:16 PM   
 By:   The CinemaScope Cat   (Member)

Perhaps MGM gave the theatres an intermission option.

When a film pushes the three hour mark, sometimes theaters shove an intermission when it's never intended in order to make money at the concession stand. My sister (who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area) said when she saw Titanic (1997), there was an intermission which there wasn't when I saw it first run at the Chinese theater in Hollywood.

Personally, I like the idea of an intermission on films that are over 2 1/2 hours long (and so does my bladder). When I saw last year's film version of Les Miserables, after the One Day More number which is clearly the finale of the second act, I expected an intermission.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 1:22 PM   

A question about East of Eden. Was there actually an overture on it when it premiered? I ask this because what is titled Overture on the DVD is a rather choppy-sounding hodgepodge, and sounds suspiciously like the music for the trailer, which runs almost the same lenhth.

I don't know but it was a prestigious film so it might have. I recall the Pioneer "special edition" laser disc of Picnic (1955) had an overture but I believe it was created for the laser disc and never shown theatrically that way.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 1:22 PM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

Paul, thanks for the corrections on Ben-Hur, Spartacus and Fall Of The Roman Empire which I've made.

I did know that the entracte following the intermission has been eliminated from Anne Frank which is why I just have "overture, intermission, exit music".

Re: Judgment At Nuremburg, yes the intermission and entracte are eliminated from the DVD version. Similarly Star! had an intermission/entracte which isn't duplicated on the DVD transfer (though I believe the laser disc included it).

Frank, thanks for the info on Star Trek. I don't have the DVD (not a fan of the film) but I don't recall an overture when I saw it in theaters. Love the Goldsmith score though (who doesn't?).

In Australia the Overture of Star Trek was played while the curtains were still closed and the lights were still up. I didn't know it was an Overture until the DVD came out. I thought they were just playing 'Ilia's Theme' as background music before the movie started.

I seem to remember seeing the original STAR TREK in its premier engagement at the Paramount Theatre in New York, where it had the overture play while the curtains were still closed. I was later surprised to find it at a later place on the lp; it's a lovely piece of music.

Star Trek the Motion Picture played at the Loew's State.
I believe that the New York Paramount was long gone by the time Star Trek opened. The overture was included in the showing at the Loew's State.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Didn't "Exodus" have a intermission? (though without music)

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 2:13 PM   

Exodus did indeed have an intermission though it is not replicated on the DVD, at least region 1 DVD, I don't know about the German release which is supposedly a better transfer.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 3:41 PM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

A question about East of Eden. Was there actually an overture on it when it premiered? I ask this because what is titled Overture on the DVD is a rather choppy-sounding hodgepodge, and sounds suspiciously like the music for the trailer, which runs almost the same lenhth.

I don't know but it was a prestigious film so it might have. I recall the Pioneer "special edition" laser disc of Picnic (1955) had an overture but I believe it was created for the laser disc and never shown theatrically that way.

You are right the PICINIC overture was a fabrication created by our very own Joe Caps, who produced the Pioneer laser. The Blu ray does not have this addition. You can hear this selection on the soundtrack CD.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 3:43 PM   

Exodus did indeed have an intermission though it is not replicated on the DVD, at least region 1 DVD, I don't know about the German release which is supposedly a better transfer.

The laser includes the Intermission card, no music, just a long fade to black and then on to part 2. I am sure some music had to be used during the theatrical presentation.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 3:46 PM   

Paul, thanks for the corrections on Ben-Hur, Spartacus and Fall Of The Roman Empire which I've made.

I did know that the entracte following the intermission has been eliminated from Anne Frank which is why I just have "overture, intermission, exit music".

Re: Judgment At Nuremburg, yes the intermission and entracte are eliminated from the DVD version. Similarly Star! had an intermission/entracte which isn't duplicated on the DVD transfer (though I believe the laser disc included it).

Frank, thanks for the info on Star Trek. I don't have the DVD (not a fan of the film) but I don't recall an overture when I saw it in theaters. Love the Goldsmith score though (who doesn't?).

In Australia the Overture of Star Trek was played while the curtains were still closed and the lights were still up. I didn't know it was an Overture until the DVD came out. I thought they were just playing 'Ilia's Theme' as background music before the movie started.

I seem to remember seeing the original STAR TREK in its premier engagement at the Paramount Theatre in New York, where it had the overture play while the curtains were still closed. I was later surprised to find it at a later place on the lp; it's a lovely piece of music.

I believe that the New York Paramount was long gone by the time Star Trek opened. The overture was included in the showing at the Loew's State.

The NY Paramount referred to here is the sterile mini movie theater included in the basement of the old G&W building on Columbus Circle (now altered), not the huge Times Sq movie palace demolished during the 1960's.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 4:01 PM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

The NY Paramount referred to here is the sterile mini movie theater included in the basement of the old G&W building on Columbus Circle (now altered), not the huge Times Sq movie palace demolished during the 1960's.

Wow! You are correct. I had forgotten about that Paramount Theatre which of course had no relationship to the original one in Times Sq-except for it's name.

Another film with overture, intermission with entr'acte music is Barabbas. However, the dvd does not include any of that...

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 5:49 PM   

The laser includes the Intermission card, no music, just a long fade to black and then on to part 2. I am sure some music had to be used during the theatrical presentation.

I'm (sigh) old enough to have seen the original Roadshow version of Exodus though I was still an adolescent. I distinctly remember that there was no music at all between the intermission card and the beginning of act two.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

ALEXANDER Revisited

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 5:56 PM   
 By:   CH-CD   (Member)

Perhaps MGM gave the theatres an intermission option.

When a film pushes the three hour mark, sometimes theaters shove an intermission when it's never intended in order to make money at the concession stand. My sister (who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area) said when she saw Titanic (1997), there was an intermission which there wasn't when I saw it first run at the Chinese theater in Hollywood.

Personally, I like the idea of an intermission on films that are over 2 1/2 hours long (and so does my bladder). When I saw last year's film version of Les Miserables, after the One Day More number which is clearly the finale of the second act, I expected an intermission.

"That's Entertainment" has a running time of just 2 hrs 15 mts. Therefore, there is no real need for an Intermission. Besides which, there is no natural place to put one, and to do so would diminish the momentum of the piece.

The whole movie carried the audience along from one great number to the next until the collective "Awwwwww !!!" was heard, as the end titles appeared ! We could have (literally!) danced all night !

Another two I just thought of... "Kiss Me Kate" had an Overture, which is on the DVD, and
"55 Days at Peking" had an Overture & Entracte.

As for "Les Miserables"....I was very disappointed that they didn't go the whole hog and revive the Road Show format for this. "One Day More" is indeed the end of Act: 1 in the theatre, and the movie cries out for a break here, after this powerful and emotional scene.

It will get one at home !

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 6:06 PM   

"Kiss Me Kate" had an Overture, which is on the DVD

My DVD of Kiss Me Kate doesn't have an overture. Was there more than one DVD release?

I can't believe I forgot The Bible which has an intermission and entracte on the DVD.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 6:24 PM   

Another film with overture, intermission with entr'acte music is Barabbas. However, the dvd does not include any of that...

Other films on DVD besides Barabbas that have eliminated their Roadshow attachments include Custer Of The West (1968) (overture, intermission) and Krakatoa East Of Java (1969) (overture, intermission, exit music), Lord Jim (1965) (intermission), MacKenna's Gold (1969) (overture, intermission, exit music), The Robe (1953) (intermission).

Of course, some Roadshows have yet to make their DVD debuts (at least in region 1): Circus World (1964), 55 Days At Peking (1963), Raintree County (1957), The Big Fisherman (1959), Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm (1962).

I've heard that The Dirty Dozen (1967) had an intermission during some of its first run engagements but can't confirm that. Is it on the DVD, anyone?

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 6:49 PM   

My DVD of Kiss Me Kate doesn't have an overture. Was there more than one DVD release?

Sorry !....i'm old and confused. confused

You're quite right, the Overture is not on the DVD, it's on the CD.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 6:59 PM   

I'm (sigh) old enough to have seen the original Roadshow version of Exodus though I was still an adolescent. I distinctly remember that there was no music at all between the intermission card and the beginning of act two.

I was there, first time around too, and I do remember an Entracte.

It would be very odd if there wasn't one after the 10mt Intermission.
Otherwise, all those people still out of their seats, in the lobby/toilets,etc would still be missing when the second act started !

The track "Fight for Survival" on the original LP/CD is the Entracte.

Listen to it....it sounds like one !

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 7:27 PM   

Sorry !....i'm old and confused. confused

You're quite right, the Overture is not on the DVD, it's on the CD.

The KISS ME KATE DVD does include an Intermission tag with the supplements. When shown in 3D, an intermission was needed to change the multiple reels of film. Though no extra music. The DIAL M FOR MURDER DVD is similar, preserving the intermission tag.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 7:32 PM   

Other films on DVD besides Barabbas that have eliminated their Roadshow attachments include Custer Of The West (1968) (overture, intermission) and Krakatoa East Of Java (1969) (overture, intermission, exit music), Lord Jim (1965) (intermission), MacKenna's Gold (1969) (overture, intermission, exit music), The Robe (1953) (intermission).

THE ROBE never had an intermission, at least not in the USA. Although there are a couple of spots where one could have easily been inserted if need. It "only" ran 134 minutes.

Posted:   May 14, 2013 - 9:25 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

"That's Entertainment" has a running time of just 2 hrs 15 mts. Therefore, there is no real need for an Intermission. Besides which, there is no natural place to put one, and to do so would diminish the momentum of the piece.

I saw the presentation in Denver twice at the magical Cooper which sadly is no more.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/824

As I recall, the intermission was inserted after the "Be My Love" number with Kathryn Grayson and Mario Lanza. No one seemed to complain. I will admit this was almost 40 years ago, so I could be wrong.

Posted:   May 15, 2013 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   Panavision70   (Member)

The Cooper in Minneapolis had the same intermission break for "That's Entertainment!" in 1974. I saw the film three times that summer. There was no intermission card, just a recorded audio announcement, "There will be a brief intermission." I assume the theater management wanted to sell move popcorn. I know I bought more.