Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 27, 2013 - 4:47 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now bring me Hunt for Red October and I'll be a happy boy!!!

I am not sure how much is missing from Red October, the CD I have seems pretty adequate.
What is not there?

There's about 25-30 minutes of more unreleased music to Red October . Film version tracks, unreleased, and maybe some deleted tracks.

Graveyard Dock # 4/Two Keys
A New Russian Sub
Course Two-Five-Zero (slight extended film version) Ryan’s Theory (National meeting)
Tupolev’s Orders (The Hunt Begins)
Jonesy’s Theory
Red Route 1 (film version longer and sounds better)
Ryan Departs to the Dallas
New Orders
Battle Stations
Crazy Ivan
Plotting a New Course
Americans Meet the Russians
Konovalov’s Attack
Combat Tactics
The Saboteur/Dallas Intervention/Ka-Boom!! (film version, synth mix much longer in film)

An expanded and remastered album would be an instant buy for me! Please bring it on !

Posted:   Jun 27, 2013 - 4:47 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now bring me Hunt for Red October and I'll be a happy boy!!!

I am not sure how much is missing from Red October, the CD I have seems pretty adequate.
What is not there?

There's about 25-30 minutes of more unreleased music to Red October . Film version tracks, unreleased, and maybe some deleted tracks.

Graveyard Dock # 4/Two Keys
A New Russian Sub
Course Two-Five-Zero (slight extended film version) Ryan’s Theory (National meeting)
Tupolev’s Orders (The Hunt Begins)
Jonesy’s Theory
Red Route 1 (film version longer and sounds better)
Ryan Departs to the Dallas
New Orders
Battle Stations
Crazy Ivan
Plotting a New Course
Americans Meet the Russians
Konovalov’s Attack
Combat Tactics
The Saboteur/Dallas Intervention/Ka-Boom!! (film version, synth mix much longer in film)

An expanded and remastered album would be an instant buy for me! Please bring it on !

Posted:   Jun 27, 2013 - 8:44 PM   
 By:   SpaceMind   (Member)

Can't wait to get my hands on this. Great score and perfectly timed with Clear and Present Danger just being released.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 1:35 AM   
 By:   Limmerine   (Member)

I read from La-La Land’s facebook that first 100 orders on their website will receive James Horner’s signed booklet, is it true??

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 3:57 AM   
 By:   Shock-Wave   (Member)

I read from La-La Land’s facebook that first 100 orders on their website will receive James Horner’s signed booklet, is it true??

I think it's for another soundtrack not Patriot Games. Forgot which one maybe Green Lantern Vol. 2?

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 4:40 AM   

I think it's for another soundtrack not Patriot Games. Forgot which one maybe Green Lantern Vol. 2?

Oh, I don't know there is another release because I could only see the cover of Patriot Games.

Misleading.......

Thank you!

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 7:34 AM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

Oh, I don't know there is another release because I could only see the cover of Patriot Games.

Misleading.......

Thank you!

How is it misleading? The information is underneath the section that details the release of Green Lantern Vol 2

MV

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 7:41 AM   
 By:   counterpoint   (Member)

OK, tastes differ. I`ve bought Horner`s expanded CAPD instantly because it has its moments. But Patriot Games is one of the most boring Horner scores ever. IMO. Except for the moody irish main title the score is so unmemorable that even the existing Milan release which has around 40 minutes score is way too long for me. Just listened to it again to check if my opinion about that score has changed since I last listened to it in the 90s. It hasn`t. Definetely won`t order it. But if someone will release the complete Rocketeer I`ll be the first to order it smile

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

OK, tastes differ. I`ve bought Horner`s expanded CAPD instantly because it has its moments. But Patriot Games is one of the most boring Horner scores ever. IMO. Except for the moody irish main title the score is so unmemorable that even the existing Milan release which has around 40 minutes score is way too long for me. Just listened to it again to check if my opinion about that score has changed since I last listened to it in the 90s. It hasn`t. Definetely won`t order it. But if someone will release the complete Rocketeer I`ll be the first to order it smile

Counterpoint....indeed!

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 4:24 PM   

Misleading.......

Thank you!

How is it misleading? The information is underneath the section that details the release of Green Lantern Vol 2

MV

Because just the cover of Patriot Games seen. I supposed there will only be ONE item released on July 2. By just looking at the cover and the last paragraph without seeing the contents in the middle, I thought the first 100 orders from La-La Land.com are attached with Horner's autograph.

It's okay now. I will get a copy of Patriot Games anyway.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 5:19 PM   

Yeah, that's more of a problem with Facebook than LLL. It always does that.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 6:16 PM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

This and Matrix Reloaded are unexpected must haves for me.

This is the funny thing. Just when I think I have every score I could possibly want, something like this comes out of left field, and I think to my self "Dammit, you got me !!!"

Since Matrix Reloaded is coming soon, and there is an implied possibility (I think someone mentioned it) that Revoutions may be released also, I might have to actually get The Matrix from Varese.

Unless, of course, LLLR has license that to for a complete release from Varese's hands. (I can dream) smile

The Matrix series is one of those score series I've admired and wanted, yet the first one eluded my purchase in favor of other treasures.

Posted:   Jun 28, 2013 - 7:19 PM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

Since Matrix Reloaded is coming soon, and there is an implied possibility (I think someone mentioned it) that Revoutions may be released also, I might have to actually get The Matrix from Varese.

According to Varese, The Matrix - Deluxe Edition is sold out, so you have to look around for that one.

Posted:   Jun 29, 2013 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Yeah, this score does have a strange, ambient and unique style for an action thriller, one that divorces it from other scores in the genre.
I will always be endlessly fascinated by that strange, flute/whistle sound that Horner unleashes during the attack on the Royals (or MP's) that Ryan thwarts near the start of the film.
It's pure genius on Horner's part to evoke the confusion and chaos with that high-pitched sound.
Love him or loathe him, Horner sure knows how to marry music to picture in a memorable and often unforgettable way.

Posted:   Jun 29, 2013 - 3:48 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

I will always be endlessly fascinated by that strange, flute/whistle sound that Horner unleashes during the attack on the Royals (or MP's) that Ryan thwarts near the start of the film.
It's pure genius on Horner's part to evoke the confusion and chaos with that high-pitched sound.

Yes, great part. I love the simplicity of that chaotic sound, and then when its phrase is finished and the rhythmic thriller music kicks back in in a much more complex fashion. Very cool to go from the simple sound to evoke one mood and then kick into a totally different fast-paced sequence as the action heats up again. Very nicely balanced and well-written.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 3:19 AM   
 By:   Frank V   (Member)

Tracklist:

DISC 1

01. Main Title (3:01)
02. Attempt on the Royals (3:53)
03. CNN News Report/Sean’s Interrogation (2:41)
04. Kevin Walks Away/Deadly Lover/ Sean’s Trial (1:46)
05. Sean Obsessing in Jail/Highland’s Execution (4:59)
06. Strange Cargo (1:36)
07. The Hit (8:11)
08. Hospital Vigil/Jack Returns to CIA/Studying Sean’s File (3:38)
09. Arrest of the Bombers (1:35)
10. Putting the Pieces Together/Reading to Sally/Sean’s Midnight Call (6:12)
11. Girl in Photo/Cooley Escapes (3:39)
12. Two-Edged Surveillance (1:59)
13. Electronic Battlefield (film version) (3:22)

DISC 2

01. Assault on Ryan’s House (10:59)
02. Boat Chase/Aftermath (5:28)
03. Closing Credits (film version) (4:13)

Bonus Tracks
04. Harry’s Game (P. Brennan) (2:34)
05. Hospital Vigil (alternate) (1:53)
06. Electronic Battlefield (orchestra only) (3:20)

Source Cues
07. Washington Post March (J.P. Sousa) (1:29)
08. Whelan’s Jig (Traditional) (2:07)
09. The Hunt (Traditional) (3:29)
10. Piano Trio in E-Flat, Op. 14 (K. 498) (W.A. Mozart) (1:35)
11. Piano Sonata in B-Flat, Op. 17, No. 1 (K. 333) (W.A. Mozart) (1:56)
12. Closing Credits (album version) (4:18)

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 4:52 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Tracklist:

DISC 1

01. Main Title (3:01)
02. Attempt on the Royals (3:53)
03. CNN News Report/Sean’s Interrogation (2:41)
04. Kevin Walks Away/Deadly Lover/ Sean’s Trial (1:46)
05. Sean Obsessing in Jail/Highland’s Execution (4:59)
06. Strange Cargo (1:36)
07. The Hit (8:11)
08. Hospital Vigil/Jack Returns to CIA/Studying Sean’s File (3:38)
09. Arrest of the Bombers (1:35)
10. Putting the Pieces Together/Reading to Sally/Sean’s Midnight Call (6:12)
11. Girl in Photo/Cooley Escapes (3:39)
12. Two-Edged Surveillance (1:59)
13. Electronic Battlefield (film version) (3:22)

DISC 2

01. Assault on Ryan’s House (10:59)
02. Boat Chase/Aftermath (5:28)
03. Closing Credits (film version) (4:13)

Okay, why is the score split over two discs? The first disc is only 46 minutes long. The whole score is about 67 minutes. Those final 3 tracks (the climax of the score) would easily fit with the rest. Are these things designed to be actually listened to? I realise that's harsh but... really.

Put the score on disc 1 and the extras on disc 2 if you have to but this? Really?

It's the Masters Of The Universe fiasco all over again (which Intrada had to come along later and correct!)

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 6:04 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

Is it REALLY necessary to quote the entire previous post if it's just there right above yours? frown

For a twofer the whole thing is short, but there you go: As long as there are enough nerds who want every source track and every single shred of score no matter what and are willing to pay extra, record companies will oblige, and will try and make the result APPEAR less parsimonious by spreading it "roughly" equally over two entirely too short CDs.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 6:40 AM   

LOL the one track everyone wanted this for is in the middle of two boring cues again (Jack Returns To CIA) AND it's impossible to recreate or program the original album release!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I guess it shows backbone that they don't bow to these criticisms and just make whatever album they want, with no mind paid to what the highlights of the score actually are.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

Shaun I busted a gut laughing at your post. So true. I have never been so on the the fence about buying a score... The source cues to bulk up the 2 discs is a bit of a turn off to drop $25.