Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:11 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Great article, by the way. Incredible that Zimmer still hasn't got a score rejected after all those scores written! Says a lot about his professional work ethic.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:13 PM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

Great article, by the way. Incredible that Zimmer still hasn't got a score rejected after all those scores written! Says a lot about his professional work ethic.

My cat hasn't got a score rejected.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:14 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Awesome post by that Levine fellow. It reflects many of my own thoughts on the man and his music -- only as an outsider, not an insider like him.

So thumbs up and kudos to that.

And thumbs down to all the pointless Zimmer bashing in this thread. Expected in this place, but as always disappointing.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:16 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Says the big Tangerine Dream fan.

I know that statement would seem somewhat contradictory on the surface. You have to remember that Zimmer is simply standing on the shoulders of giants like TD. They were the pioneers of what they do... not merely followers or copycats.

Plus, I was not comparing TD to today's film composers, many of whom have aspiration to be thought of as serious classicists. Despite his quirks, I doubt Edgar Froese harbors such pretensions.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:16 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Wasn't K2 rejected?

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:19 PM   

Wasn't K2 rejected?

No, the Chaz Jankel score was.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:20 PM   

[facepalm]

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:22 PM   

[facepalm]

Happy to meet you too!

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

All the bashing really is tiresome...by this point nobody is really saying anything new about it, so why keep saying it? Clearly you're not convincing any of the Zimmer lovers, or the Zimmer likers, or the Zimmer tolerators that they are wrong, just as those people are not convincing you that you're wrong. The only thing this obstinacy does is derail threads for people who want to be active in a conversation about the actual subject, and this makes the FSM boards a rather unpleasant place to be, TBH.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:28 PM   

All the bashing really is tiresome...by this point nobody is really saying anything new about it, so why keep saying it? Clearly you're not convincing any of the Zimmer lovers, or the Zimmer likers, or the Zimmer tolerators that they are wrong, just as those people are not convincing you that you're wrong. The only thing this obstinacy does is derail threads for people who want to be active in a conversation about the actual subject, and this makes the FSM boards a rather unpleasant place to be, TBH.

This place becomes unpleasant when some people start throwing around [facepalm]! like a twelve-year-old.

Only if they had anything substantive to say...

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:29 PM   

This place becomes unpleasant when some people start throwing around [facepalm]! like a twelve-year-old.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Wasn't K2 rejected?

No. Zimmer scored the film originally. It was released in Europe with that score. When the film was released months later (with some scenes cut out) in the US, Zimmer's score was replaced by Jankel's. (Thus, the Varèse CD release of Zimmer's score in the US calls itself "music inspired by the film.") So yes, Zimmer's score was rejected for the US release.

That said, that fact is hardly an indictment of Zimmer.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:40 PM   

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did Zimmer consider hiring you for his sample library? You seem to pocess a unique ability of making phonetic sounds.

Maybe the next big Zimmer score (Norlan's Interstellar) will feature a "theme" of twenty of you shouting "LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!" at the same time.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:42 PM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They do not.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

I'm not a big Zimmer fan myself, but this Levine guy knows what he's talking about, and his points are smart and valid. The know-nothings on this thread who dismiss what he's saying as ass-kissing aren't worthy of our time to respond to.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:47 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Here's a LENGTHY messaged posted by composer/musician Michael A. Levine, who worked at RCP :

"Why Hans Zimmer Got The Job You Wanted (And You Didn't)

Seriously, does this Levine guy ever ask himself:

"Why John Powell got all the big assignments Levine wanted (and Levine didn't)?"

Or "does ass kissing substitute raw talent?"

the bigger kiss ass you are, the better project you get.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:48 PM   

Wasn't K2 rejected?

No. Zimmer scored the film originally. It was released in Europe with that score. When the film was released months later (with some scenes cut out) in the US, Zimmer's score was replaced by Jankel's. (Thus, the Varèse CD release of Zimmer's score in the US calls itself "music inspired by the film.") So yes, Zimmer's score was rejected for the US release.

Not quite what's featured in the Torn Music book. It's a long story...

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Wasn't K2 rejected?

Right. Since he has hardly done anything as good as K2 in the past decade.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

I'm not a big Zimmer fan myself, but this Levine guy knows what he's talking about, and his points are smart and valid. The know-nothings on this thread who dismiss what he's saying as ass-kissing aren't worthy of our time to respond to.

Sorry, Babling Fat Dude, you nice people, but one that claims "Hamzimmer is a visionary" can only be asking for mockery...

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 2:04 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Yes indeed.