Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 9, 2013 - 5:56 AM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

James Cameron said Gravity is the best space movie he's ever seen. That's good enough for me. What I do find hilarious is that someone who hasn't even seen the movie would seriously suggest that the score should have been tossed, simply because it didn't encourage them to buy the album.

I remember seeing James Cameron's praise for GRAVITY and got even more excited.

Every time I see a trailer or video for this movie, I'm totally sucked in and engrossed. I really can't wait to see it.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 7:00 PM   
 By:   Landstander   (Member)

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/gravity-movie-soundtrack/

Streaming score up at Wired.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2013 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   Travis   (Member)

My thoughts on Gravity's score:

http://scorecues.blogspot.com/2013/09/gravity-by-steven-price.html

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 11:01 AM   

Holy shit is this movie ever amazing. Gripping from the first minute til the last.

And the score. Boggan, you are so terribly, terribly wrong. There is NO WAY the score for this movie should have been rejected as you claimed. NONE.

Oh, and it's not "shitty droning" either, facehugger.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Holy shit is this movie ever amazing. Gripping from the first minute til the last.

And the score. Boggan, you are so terribly, terribly wrong. There is NO WAY the score for this movie should have been rejected as you claimed. NONE.

The movie is indeed phenomenal and should be seen on as large a screen as possible. The score supports the movie very well. I'm not totally convinced it would stand up as well as a standalone listening experience, but I'll give the streaming score a whirl and see how it holds up.

Chris

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 3:02 PM   
 By:   Stefancos   (Member)

I agree that the film is phenomenal, and that the score does it's part in effectively supporting both the action and the emotion. It's not a score I would seek out on CD though.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 3:08 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

I agree that the film is phenomenal, and that the score does it's part in effectively supporting both the action and the emotion. It's not a score I would seek out on CD though.

I think I might download the final cue, Gravity, which features the female vocalist and accompanies the final spectacular sequence of the film. That was a particular standout piece of music. Much of the rest of the score I felt functioned a little more like sound design, which is perhaps important in this film in the (realistic) absence of much in the way of sound effects.

Chris.

EDIT: I just want to say again how truly amazing this film is. I really hope that this gets a big audience. It's a blockbuster that takes some fairly substantial risks. It's carried to a large part by a single actor with only her face visible for much of the film; there's no Hollywood romantic subplot; there's no villain per se nor excessive violence and it's a film where the narrative is secondary to the tone and atmosphere of the piece. And yet the film manages to be so much more gripping and profound that pretty much any blockbuster since the Dark Knight (and I hold it in higher regard than that film).

If you're tired of seeing the same blockbuster film template recycled ad nauseum, I urge you to go out and experience this.

Chris

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 4:31 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Amazing, intense film. Score was neither amazing nor intense. Only demerit I can think of from the experience.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 4:51 PM   
 By:   Traveling Matt   (Member)

The score was quite minimal in effect, which was just right for this film - a very refreshing take on a space disaster. Rolling Stone calls it a "masterpiece," which is a bit of a stretch for me, but I would put it close to Apollo 13. Quite entertaining and gripping, and masterfully produced. The filmmakers did an excellent job of avoiding motion sickness-type photography, which could have made it tough to watch.

Highly recommended, and well worth seeing in 3D.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 7:03 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I have to admit it wasn't shitty droning like I expected. I heard some good use of real instruments at times and good use of solo vocalists. As others said, the final cue was really good as well.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2013 - 10:16 PM   

Maybe I was wrapped up in the movie, but was this vocal on the last cue in the film? I'm not crazy about it, so you'd think I would have noticed it in the movie.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 5:52 AM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

Shaun Rutherford: I'm an idiot.

edited for truth

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 6:18 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I wish I could send my ears to school like Loren

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 7:37 AM   

Shaun Rutherford: I'm an idiot.

edited for truth

Haha

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 7:38 AM   

Maybe I was wrapped up in the movie, but was this vocal on the last cue in the film? I'm not crazy about it, so you'd think I would have noticed it in the movie.

Yep, it's there in the movie.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

It is droning on and on without going anywhere.

And it has the fucking cliche "wailing woman" vocal.

What's worse, --this is a pet peeve of mine --track 15 "Shenzou" spelled the name of the Chinese space station wrong (it's "Shenzhou" not "Shenzou").

So yes, it's shitty. The film itself may be good, but the score is far below standard.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Amazing, intense film. Score was neither amazing nor intense. Only demerit I can think of from the experience.

But based on my viewing of the film, HIGHLY EFFECTIVE within the context of the movie.

The Last big cue for the end is quite outstanding IMHO.

Great Film IMHO.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 11:03 AM   

What's worse, --this is a pet peeve of mine --track 15 "Shenzou" spelled the name of the Chinese space station wrong (it's "Shenzhou" not "Shenzou").

So yes, it's shitty. The film itself may be good, but the score is far below standard.

Let me get this straight. You're forming an opinion about this score "not going anywhere" without having even seen the movie?

How asinine.

At least your opinion is clearly rooted in the minority for this one.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 11:14 AM   

But based on my viewing of the film, HIGHLY EFFECTIVE within the context of the movie.

The Last big cue for the end is quite outstanding IMHO.

Great Film IMHO.

Ford A. Thaxton

Definitely effective (the vocals, were they in the final cue in the film, or is it just like that in movie?), but not memorable or anything.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2013 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   JJH   (Member)

Let me get this straight. You're forming an opinion about this score "not going anywhere" without having even seen the movie?

How asinine.

At least your opinion is clearly rooted in the minority for this one.

I agree with this guy