Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:50 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

While I have nothing against your posts, I mainly come to FSM to read debates and topics about new and old film scores.
As one can see today, the main page is literally flooded with posts by you about anything but debates and topics.
Would it be possible to create a separate section for these posts, so most film score fans can continue to do what they usually have around here?
Thanks.

VP: Don't blame him, blame ME for watching most of them in the wee hours and responding to them. If no one else responds, they'll VERY quickly drop out of sight, which, apparently, will make you happy.

Tell me, have you also lodged complaints about the many many posts of unidentified pictures and other frivolous -- and, some may say, polluting -- posts? Because I have.

I find many of these unrehearsed sight readings of cues (and songs) from films quite charming, and I've noticed that I'm not alone in my appreciation of them.

And to zooba re: "Personally it doesn't bother me at all to have the videos posted like this. They are actually more refreshing than a lot of the stuff that does get posted. Like a lot of crap I post. Ha Ha. I'm with Pete, he said it very well." Thank you z.

And others noticed that I was, ahem, the "culprit" in bumping most of these up to the top. Relax: If they aren't popular, they'll soon drop out of your sight.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Vermithrax Pejorative   (Member)

>>>>>>>>> Tell me, have you also lodged a complaint about the many many posts of unidentified pictures and other frivolous -- and, some may say, polluting -- posts? >>>>>>

I haven't lodged any complaints anywhere.
I merely started a thread to see what others thought about how the main page looked today.
Some agreed, some didn't, some said get a life.
Life goes on!

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 10:13 AM   

I guess "lodged a complaint" may have been the wrong words, although what you wrote certainly seemed like a complaint to me. No matter. As I wrote, if others share your views, you can be sure that all of those will VERY quickly drop out of sight.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 10:17 AM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

I've been meaning to bring up the proliferation of these debate threads. Topics about old and new film scores are fine, in fact sheetmusicman's threads seem to fit in there. But these endless debates go in endless circles and end up getting personal and petty. I don't mind that, you guys can talk about what you want BUT THERE ARE SO DAMNED MANY OF THESE! Everywhere you go on this board they seem to have taken over from the CD announcements and other news I look for. It gets annoying having to sift through this stuff. So why not take the drift of Intrada's prerelease discussion board and have a separate board for all this arguing so the rest of us can have a smoother time. If you disagree me and my cronies will start making a stink and there will be so many flaming threads that the powers that will segregrate you anyway to avoid turmoil on here. Friendly advice from your local bully. big grin

This is a post about posts that are about other posts, i.e. a meta-meta-post.

This is not permitted.

Unfortunately, neither are posts about posts that are about posts that are about other posts, so my post is not permitted either.

Both then, will soon disappear in a puff of logic! big grin

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

This is a post about posts that are about other posts, i.e. a meta-meta-post.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   Ed Lachmann   (Member)

Boy, I have to say that I really like and look forward to sheetmusicman's posts, and especially the videos. For any of us who actually try to play rare and unusual film music pieces, these performances are inspiring. I mean, spam is one thing but if this is spam, make a me a double decker sandwich!

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 4:30 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not that these old songs were published as sheet music PRECISELY BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE MEANT TO PLAY AND PERFORM THEM?

Back in the day when folk made their own entertainment and sang around the piano, which was something folk did right up until well past the advent of the box in the corner, this was the whole point.

So here are a group of enthusiasts who feel like hearing this material WHICH WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE HEARD, and they come on a thread devoted to film-scoring in all its forms, and .... they get attacked by the 'experts'.

There were more great composers and performers who started out around those old pianos than ever geeked out over the internet in a despair of needing to relate.

These vids are what the thing is all about. Or would some rather inbreed and die?

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Geez. Stop being so melodramatic. No one was arguing about the merits of the threads or their contents, which are all perfectly fine. Only the 'flooding' aspect, which has now been resolved. Probably better to close the thread now.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 5:08 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

Some people think you're melodramatic if you pick your nose twice instead of once.

As if the 'flooding' could matter to anyone sane. If you want to see flooding try Pakistan last month.

I say it's more to do with churlishness, and folk who haven't enough to complain about. And just MAYYYBEEE a little envy of the performers which must, of course never be admitted ...

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 8:41 PM   

Re: Ron must be having a laugh over this.

Well if YOU want a chuckle or three, ask Ron what he thinks of "What's the Title of This Movie?"

Yes indeed, you know how much I HATE those, and there have been days when there are 6 to 8 of them clustered up near the top of the first page of discussions. But there's plenty of room here for all points of view, and so what if you need to go to page 2 to see more of the discussions YOU find the most interesting? If no one responds to them after me, they'll very quickly move down to page 2 themselves.

And WILLIAMDMCCRUM, really like your two posting above, especially the first!

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 9:28 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I believe this was brought to smm's attention once before. I am not sure why the original requests to condense everything were not heeded. It is wonderful that smm takes the time to create all he does but feels a bit like "look at me" over and over and over.

Ouch, I have been called Mother Theresa and Pollyanna but never jerk, especially by Lukas Kendall. But I will own up to it and admit I was.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 11:00 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

Come on, guys, don't be jerks. The sheetmusicman posts may not be to everyone's taste but they are well within the board's charter. They are also the extremely rare thing: EXCLUSIVES offering something new that you can't find anywhere else. The folks making them clearly went to a lot of effort just for fun, so if you don't like them, how hard is it just to ignore them? I mean, you have the right to crap all over them (within the board's rules), but why? It's the kind of the thing that gives this board a bad name...

Lukas

I respect your opinion very much, and I understand where you're coming from...but

A very simple solution would be to post a single thread listing the stuff smm's group has done in alphabetical order by title and provide a link to each one. Even an occasional (weekly?) update thread announcing additions to the listing perhaps. Board members enthralled by the sheet music offerings would be free to respond and offer their thanks or requests within the context of those threads, and we would not have the periodic tsunami of threads cluttering up the front page as we have now had on two occasions. This was my suggestion the first time this happened and in my opinion it is still the right thing to do. Whether the fault is sheetmusicman's, or Ron Hardcastle's, or the International Communist Conspiracy's, really doesn't matter a bit. I impugn the motives of no man (or woman) here, and nobody's crapping on anybody. Sorry, but I don't think it makes one a "jerk" to express a point of view that conflicts with your own, Boardmeister or not. Name calling ill serves the sort of "net etiquette" this Board claims to encourage.

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 11:42 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

The sheetmusicman threads that Ron bumped, which caused such an uproar, have all in turn been bumped off the first page of this forum in the past 12 hours, so...

Posted:   Oct 29, 2013 - 11:49 PM   

Dana Wilcox:

Re: A very simple solution would be to post a single thread listing the stuff smm's group has done in alphabetical order by title and provide a link to each one. Even an occasional (weekly?) update thread announcing additions to the listing perhaps. Board members enthralled by the sheet music offerings would be free to respond and offer their thanks or requests within the context of those threads, and we would not have the periodic tsunami of threads cluttering up the front page as we have now had on two occasions. This was my suggestion the first time this happened and in my opinion it is still the right thing to do. Whether the fault is sheetmusicman's, or Ron Hardcastle's, or the International Communist Conspiracy's, really doesn't matter a bit. I impugn the motives of no man (or woman) here, and nobody's crapping on anybody. Sorry, but I don't think it makes one a "jerk" to express a point of view that conflicts with your own, Boardmeister or not. Name calling ill serves the sort of "net etiquette" this Board claims to encourage.

Couldn't the same complaint be issued against the

WHAT'S THE NAME OF THIS MOVIE?

postings? A week or so ago there were at least EIGHT of those ridiculous postings near the top of the first page of the discussions, and I've made no secret that I find them rather pointless and more self-aggrandizement for chickenhearted than germane to this site. And some of those seem to pop up at the drop of a hat, whereas sheetmusicman devotes a lot of work and attention to HIS postings, which at least involve music from films. And a quick perusal would find several other postings that stretch the boundaries.

Yes, yes, yes, it was I who brought all 18 or so of those sheetmusicman postings to the top. Last night I was up into the wee hours, and sort of ODd on them. Frankly, I was aware that it was going to put many of them at or near the top, but I was also aware that they would quickly be dropping down the page and to page 2 very soon, and someone pointed out how easy it is to bring up subsequent pages. Frankly, I think so many here have made a mountain out of a molehill. Just drop it and move on to something with a little relevance. And thanks, Josh Mitchell, for "The sheetmusicman threads that Ron bumped, which caused such an uproar, have all in turn been bumped off the first page of this forum in the past 12 hours...."

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 12:01 AM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

And Ron, chickenhearted's threads on the other side of the board cause no more harm than sheetmusicman's on this side, so...

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 12:08 AM   

Josh: Re: "And Ron, chickenhearted's threads on the other side of the board cause no more harm than sheetmusicman's on this side...."

Yes, but I guess I have a pet peeve about them (just as others had theirs for sheetmusicman's posts), and just as it stirred up some ill-will when I brought so many of them to the top, whenever I see yet another of the never-ending series of "WHAT'S THE NAME OF THIS MOVIE?" I groan, because they seem so pointless to me, which is essentially what the sheetmusicman-bashers were doing and thinking today.

As for "stop whining," in this case they were whining about what I had brought to the top of the postings and I was merely responding to their bitching.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 5:28 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

Even if this weren't the case, I personally don't see a problem. If one of them is a valid topic on this board, then they all are, and regardless of whether they're in a big tranche or spread out, I don't think it's even a yellow card, let alone a red. If you want to see more non-sheetmusicman threads on the board, feel free to post them yourself!

Thumbs up to this reply ^.

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 5:40 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

For once, I disagree with you on the topic of netiquette, TG. At least a bit.

Well, ok. As long as it's JUST a bit smile

My problem is with the flooding. And it really goes beyond each member's ability to click on what they like. Example: A guy posts a new thread about a topic he cares for and that he hopes create discussion. Then after 30-40 smm threads, it bumps off the first page without even being noticed, and on into oblivion. I think that's unfortunate.

For what it's worth, I agree about the sinking without trace. But unfortunate and no more, and not worth fretting about!

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 5:41 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Even if this weren't the case, I personally don't see a problem. If one of them is a valid topic on this board, then they all are, and regardless of whether they're in a big tranche or spread out, I don't think it's even a yellow card, let alone a red. If you want to see more non-sheetmusicman threads on the board, feel free to post them yourself!

Thumbs up to this reply ^.

Yes - definitely the most commonsense and reasoned reply of them all. big grin

Posted:   Oct 30, 2013 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

Dana Wilcox:

Re: A very simple solution would be to post a single thread listing the stuff smm's group has done in alphabetical order by title and provide a link to each one. Even an occasional (weekly?) update thread announcing additions to the listing perhaps. Board members enthralled by the sheet music offerings would be free to respond and offer their thanks or requests within the context of those threads, and we would not have the periodic tsunami of threads cluttering up the front page as we have now had on two occasions. This was my suggestion the first time this happened and in my opinion it is still the right thing to do. Whether the fault is sheetmusicman's, or Ron Hardcastle's, or the International Communist Conspiracy's, really doesn't matter a bit. I impugn the motives of no man (or woman) here, and nobody's crapping on anybody. Sorry, but I don't think it makes one a "jerk" to express a point of view that conflicts with your own, Boardmeister or not. Name calling ill serves the sort of "net etiquette" this Board claims to encourage.

Couldn't the same complaint be issued against the

Absolutely.