Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 8:25 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Whoa that's really harsh, Thor.

Karol

I know. It's not often that I get to be that, but I felt it was deserved in this case.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:14 AM   
 By:   emusician   (Member)

So the score's been officially out for almost 2 days now and no one is talking about it? Come on people, I rely on you folks to influence my opinion on whether I like it or not!

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

So the score's been officially out for almost 2 days now and no one is talking about it? Come on people, I rely on you folks to influence my opinion on whether I like it or not!

Okay, to appease you:

The score is good, but not superb. The new thematic material for Tauriel the Elf and, particularly, Smaug is excellent and there is some superb action material, but there's also a lot of filler. Opinion seems to be mixed as to whether this is better than AUJ or not. For me, the whole package doesn't gel as well as AUJ... the album feels like it lacks a proper beginning and conclusion to the work. In particular, the album grinds to a stop with a cliffhanger ending (like the film, apparently) and leaves you dangling there after a great action buildup. Imaging if The Two Towers score stopped right after the buildup to the battle of Helm's Deep and just left it there.

It's still a good effort by Shore and it'll probably play really well back to back with There and Back Again but as a stand alone work, it's probably my least favorite rings score thus far.

Chris.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:43 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

In particular, the album grinds to a stop with a cliffhanger ending (like the film, apparently) and leaves you dangling there after a great action buildup. Imaging if The Two Towers score stopped right after the buildup to the battle of Helm's Deep and just left it there.

Chris.

Like (the film at least!) Bakshi's Lord Of The Rings does, left you hanging big time.

"And so begins the Lord of the Rings" or some inane voiceover comment....God
I love that Bakshi, renegade, coherence be damned version of LOTR. Glad I wasn't
around in '78 to see it in theaters though - I'd imagine Tolkenites were rioting....

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:45 AM   
 By:   filmsonwax   (Member)

I like it a lot but the length does it no favours.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:48 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

After hearing both Hobbit scores now in their 2-disc editions, I suspect that I will be able to edit a decent single disc compilation from all 3 soundtracks next year. Which is ironic, as I am equally certain someone could make a decent single movie editing all 3 bloated movies together.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

I've just finished my first listen and I think it's very good - I feel like it worked for me more on first listen than AUJ did, although I grew to love that score. The song meshes a lot better in the album order than I thought it would. Tauriel's theme and the forest/barrel chase are highlights for me. I have to admit I have a bit of fatigue with Smaug's themes by the end of the listen, just because they assault you nonstop for the last 20 minutes or so (and rightfully so, since Smaug IS the climax of the movie).

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 12:07 PM   
 By:   GOLDSMITHDAKING   (Member)

The music is the only decent thing in these movies.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 12:29 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I've given both discs a bit of a spin but finished neither - both times driving to and from work, arriving before they were finished.

I like it - but I'm still searching for the action cues...

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 1:46 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

I went right for the Smaug cues due to people here and elsewhere losing their minds over them, and they were pretty boring, shockingly. I'm a fan of the LOTR scores and a huge fan Shore in general, but this sounds like a Howard Shore who was not emotionally invested in the material. I was telling someone it was like the Jerry Goldsmith who scored Total Recall versus the Jerry Goldsmith who scored Star Trek Nemesis.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 2:05 PM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

I've given both discs a bit of a spin but finished neither - both times driving to and from work, arriving before they were finished.

Track 10 on disc 1 "The Forest River" stands out to me as a great action track.

And I am enjoying the score so far...only on my second listen now though.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 3:14 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

An opinion posed as question. From the "maybe it's me" department.

Is it me or do the songs from these two Hobbit movies seriously, seriously suck?

As a rule, I'm not huge into doing the "James Horner thing" of adding a song to a film but the LOTR ones were pretty strong, particularly the one for ROTK. But the two for these new films are of that horrible indie music hipster "I heard Springsteen's Nebraska when I was a little kid in 1998 and I wish I could write like that" bullcrap.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 3:31 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Sooooo, let's say I like the score. Is it really worth getting the deluxe edition?

Are the tracks vastly extended?

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

Track 10 on disc 1 "The Forest River" stands out to me as a great action track.

And I am enjoying the score so far...only on my second listen now though.

LOL

I am literally listening to that track right now (just put the cd on for the first time not too long ago). It's a FANTASTIC CUE!

MV

Posted:   Dec 11, 2013 - 3:57 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

This is an improvement on the first score but I still prefer Hugo musically.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 12:16 AM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

I've found that i've enjoyed this score more with repeated listening. The first listen I didn't find that much to enjoy, but further listening have rectified that.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 12:48 AM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

Sooooo, let's say I like the score. Is it really worth getting the deluxe edition?

Are the tracks vastly extended?

Absolutely yes! You get almost 20 minutes total of additional score material. That alone would be enough to justify the extra few bucks in my book. But in the deal, you also get gorgeous packaging, handwritten examples of Howard Shore's themes (including a fold-out sketch page) and wonderful in-depth liner notes by Doug Adams that will greatly enhance your appreciation of the music. (I believe Doug's notes are EXCLUSIVE to the deluxe edition this time around! Someone please correct me if that's wrong.) Finally, if you have the free WaterTower app, you can access additional content like a music video and the ability to scan Shore's music examples and hear them played.

If you need more convincing, here's a thorough video review from TheOneRing.net:

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 1:35 AM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

Thanks to my friend (the fellow on the right in the above video) I just picked up the deluxe edition today. Havent listened to it yet as Ill wait until after i see the film with friends tomorrow evening. Very much looking forward to it! Im glad for the extended tracks!

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   Drawgoon   (Member)

If anybody would like to know what themes play when in the various tracks, please check out the list I compiled here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23907

I admit I got a completely different experience from the score with that information at hand. Great work, Jason!

I sure hope the third film gives Shore the opportunity to expand what Jason has called "House of Durin" theme to a full length cue. The variation of this tune that appears in "Girion, Lord of Dale" (starting from the 3:07 mark) always gives me the goosebumps.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2013 - 3:11 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Actually, "House of Durin" is Shore's own name for that theme; you can see it on the sketch in the booklet of the Special Edition version of the soundtrack.