Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 27, 2013 - 6:21 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Too bad Intrada didn't put the rerecording on the disc as a bonus.

I'll bet it was a contractual thing with RCA. It probably would have required a second disc, also.

Anyway, the album is readily available, as I'm fond of saying, at a thrift store near you.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2013 - 7:36 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Mine was delivered to me in San Francisco this afternoon.

Doesn't get quicker than that!

Posted:   Nov 27, 2013 - 7:46 PM   
 By:   PhiladelphiaSon   (Member)

I think the orchestration of the main title of the film is the best, ever, in a motion picture.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2013 - 7:48 PM   
 By:   davel   (Member)

"You mean Doug."

Oops, sorry about that. And doubly sorry to stir up an old debate. But my enthusiasm remains for this release. So looking forward to receiving my copy.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2013 - 8:23 PM   

"You mean Doug."

Oops, sorry about that. And doubly sorry to stir up an old debate. But my enthusiasm remains for this release. So looking forward to receiving my copy.

No, Bruce is Doug's forum name. Shouldn't we be using our real names here? wink

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

My little rather cursory review of the new Intrada "Breakfast At Tiffany's" CD.

Oh dear -- where to begin? Not too long into playing it with my tall speaker towers, I scribbled "FOR MANCINI LOVERS, this is truly one of Henry Mancini's soundtrack masterpieces," which was how I planned to start this review. But then it seemed to devolve into something else, although this is still a revelatory release on a number of levels. Without further notice of those notes I wrote, let me say that Mancini fans as well as soundtrack aficionados are going to love this CD, even though there may be a tiny bit of equivocation. At the start I was pleased to hear the "Moon River" of the "Main Title" with very little of the chorus and not dominated by it as it is in the original release, and it sounds wonderful. I remember jotting down something like, for track 3, "Sparkling -- quite a stereo showpiece!" It comes from back in the days of nascent stereo when record engineers did specific things for the best stereo effect, although since some stereo manipulation can be, with headphones, aurally disorienting, it's probably better to listen to this recording with external speakers. I singled out some terrific Big Band-like cues, very brassy, jazzy, sometimes even intoxicating. It was mostly a pleasure listening to the 29 cues of the soundtrack proper, although the 9 in "THE EXTRAS" can be repetitious and even tiresome, especially in the case of the 3 "Piano Practice" cues that could have been dropped just to make the CD more listenable on its own, although that's not a problem for those who will skip them when they assemble their own "Breakfast At Tiffany's" playlist.

Despite the minor nitpicking, this is a wonderful release, and, yes, we finally hear the soundtrack that Henry Mancini always wanted to give us, as we learn in the absorbing liner notes booklet. Except for 1 or 2 cues, I'll probably never play my original RCA soundtrack again. And, at 79 minutes, it nearly fills a CD to its brimming point!

Now let's hear a more thorough review that might even compare this to the RCA original!

Follow-Up Note: I corrected what I typed above from 89 minutes to 79.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Thanks for the review Ron.

I'm very envious, it'll be a little while before my SAE order finally makes it to the UK.

When it arrives and I've played it a couple of times, I'll certainly post a review.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 5:45 PM   

Thanks, Peter, I'll watch for your own review when you get it. Having ordered a number of things from Britain, mostly CDs, I know the frustration of having to wait for them!

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 6:09 PM   

Thanks for the review. I too am eager to hear this, but I don't think it will ever entirely replace the soundtrack album that I've known all these years.

As with "Charade," I will probably attempt to program an alternate universe LP, but that was a fun and rewarding exercise because the Charade LP basically sucked. The "Breakfast at Tiffany's" LP is so good, it will be interesting for me to see what I leave off and what I include.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 7:01 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

My little rather cursory review of the new Intrada "Breakfast At Tiffany's" CD.

Oh dear -- where to begin? Not too long into playing it with my tall speaker towers, I scribbled "FOR MANCINI LOVERS, this is truly one of Henry Mancini's soundtrack masterpieces," which was how I planned to start this review. But then it seemed to devolve into something else, although this is still a revelatory release on a number of levels. Without further notice of those notes I wrote, let me say that Mancini fans as well as soundtrack aficionados are going to love this CD, even though there may be a tiny bit of equivocation. At the start I was pleased to hear the "Moon River" of the "Main Title" with very little of the chorus and not dominated by it as it is in the original release, and it sounds wonderful. I remember jotting down something like, for track 3, "Sparkling -- quite a stereo showpiece!" It comes from back in the days of nascent stereo when record engineers did specific things for the best stereo effect, although since some stereo manipulation can be, with headphones, aurally disorienting, it's probably better to listen to this recording with external speakers. I singled out some terrific Big Band-like cues, very brassy, jazzy, sometimes even intoxicating. It was mostly a pleasure listening to the 29 cues of the soundtrack proper, although the 9 in "THE EXTRAS" can be repetitious and even tiresome, especially in the case of the 3 "Piano Practice" cues that could have been dropped just to make the CD more listenable on its own, although that's not a problem for those who will skip them when they assemble their own "Breakfast At Tiffany's" playlist.

Despite the minor nitpicking, this is a wonderful release, and, yes, we finally hear the soundtrack that Henry Mancini always wanted to give us, as we learn in the absorbing liner notes booklet. Except for 1 or 2 cues, I'll probably never play my original RCA soundtrack again. And, at 89 minutes, it nearly fills a CD to its brimming point!

Now let's hear a more thorough review that might even compare this to the RCA original!

Stereo? Funny, I read that the score proper is presented in mono. Is it a mixture of mono and stereo WITHIN the score presentation? Also, eighty-nine minutes? That would be more than a feat to get eighty-nine minutes on one CD - it wouldn't be possible.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 7:01 PM   

Ron P: Re: "It's hardly pointless, Mr. Hardcastle…"

Had overlooked this when you posted it. I used the word "pointless" because everyone was debating WHY we should or should not post our real names here as if there could be a change in policy when it was clear that there never would be a change in policy. Yes, we can debate until we're red in the face about such things, but why exert the effort (and the time) when nothing is going to change? And if there was a point to our debate, why do you suppose the powers-that-be stepped in and closed it?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 7:11 PM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

My runtime in iTunes is one hour 19 minutes. And Intrada clearly states the sources for this recording:

For the first time, fans of this moving and magnificent film score can hear the soundtrack versions Mancini composed and conducted for the film—every dramatic cue, all of the sentimental variations, every big band tune and all the other pieces that make up this special soundtrack CD. Working from a number of master materials, including the 35mm three-channel stereo tracks, mono film soundtrack stems, DAT transfers made by Paramount Pictures and a handful of alternate and demo recordings, the entire score was remixed into a rich and rewarding stereo experience (with the exception of three score cues and the variety of extras that appear on this CD). It’s everything film music fans could want and it's everything Henry Mancini wrote for this most cherished of never-before-released soundtracks.

James

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 8:23 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

My runtime in iTunes is one hour 19 minutes. And Intrada clearly states the sources for this recording:

For the first time, fans of this moving and magnificent film score can hear the soundtrack versions Mancini composed and conducted for the film—every dramatic cue, all of the sentimental variations, every big band tune and all the other pieces that make up this special soundtrack CD. Working from a number of master materials, including the 35mm three-channel stereo tracks, mono film soundtrack stems, DAT transfers made by Paramount Pictures and a handful of alternate and demo recordings, the entire score was remixed into a rich and rewarding stereo experience (with the exception of three score cues and the variety of extras that appear on this CD). It’s everything film music fans could want and it's everything Henry Mancini wrote for this most cherished of never-before-released soundtracks.

James

I must have been confusing it with something else in terms of mono/stereo - maybe Gunfight at the OK Corral. At least the run time at seventy-nine minutes (not eighty-nine as stated by Mr. Hardcastle) is more in the realm of reality.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2013 - 10:56 PM   

haineshisway: That was a typo … I meant 79 minutes not 89 -- you know how much a CD holds. And it definitely sounded like stereo to me with different instruments clearly coming from each side.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 4:23 PM   

Some initial thoughts after one spin:

The dramatic music is great and at least some of it should have been on the LP.

The source cues are hit and miss. Some are better on the album; some sound more authentically Latin on the soundtrack.

"Sally's Tomato" is much better on the album. Hank hadn't figured out how to get out of the bridge on the film version.

Audrey's vocal should have been on the album.

I love some of the uptempo variations on the tune that became "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on the LP.

The finale is amazing. It should have been on the album.

The piano exercises are completely unnecessary. I would have preferred traffic sounds.

The photo of Mickey Rooney is equally unnecessary.

I love how the producers refer to Mancini's LPs as "dance albums" in the booklets. Do they have any understanding of the evolution of the LP and its varying functions during the postwar era?

All in all, a very worthwhile purpose, but you'll need to put the best of both versions together to create a fully satisfying listening experience.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 8:01 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

My copy arrived yesterday and I finally had a chance to listen to it earlier today. Wow and wonderful. As a child of the sixties, I absolutely relished the jazzy tracks that personified the quirky character of Holly Golightly. If you grew up during this time you know exactly what I am talking about. I closed my eyes and pictures "beatniks" and bohemians like Maynard G. Krebs doing their own thing and moving to the beat.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 10:07 AM   

OnyaBirri: Re "All in all, a very worthwhile purpose, but you'll need to put the best of both versions together to create a fully satisfying listening experience."

Which is precisely what I did on a playlist, although I took only 3 cues from the originally released "soundtrack." Glad you agree that the piano exercises are "unnecessary." And I love how the opening cue isn't overwhelmed by the chorus as it was on the original LP/CD!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 10:40 AM   

Which is precisely what I did on a playlist, although I took only 3 cues from the originally released "soundtrack."

I will probably end up using about half and half, and maybe even as much of 2/3 of the LP. I'll have to spend more time with it to know for sure. The album version of "Sally's Tomato," for example, has a much improved transition from the bridge to the A sections, making it a keeper.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 11:03 AM   

OnyaBirri: I think I see what you are referring to -- is it around the 1.40 mark of the new one (and again later), where it seems slightly aimless? But it's considerably longer (I usually prefer longer cues) and it doesn't have the somewhat intrusive humming chorus, so I'll happily keep the Intrada "Sally," but, yes, it'll be nice to have both!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 11:23 AM   

It happens - the first time - between 1:19 and 1:22. The chords he uses are somewhat plain in the OST version; he devises a more interesting turnaround on the LP version.

As a connoisseur of space-age bachelor pad music, I'll happily take whichever version has the wordless chorus, an important component of that aesthetic.

And five minutes of Sally's tomato is a little too much tomato for my tastes, and I LOVE tomato! wink

I'll post my alternate universe LP listing this week sometime.