Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 31, 2009 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Subtitles are the only way to watch a foreign film, sorry. I don't want to hear other voice actors than the originals, and I certainly don't want the INTENT of the dialogue changed, which was certainly the case with Phil Hartman in Kiki's - it's an entirely different character with bad jokes that were never in the original version. How can anyone prefer THAT? It boggles the mind. Not to mention that Castle In The Sky and Kiki's have scores that have been tampered with - in the case of Castle Disney hired Hisaishi to rescore the film in the US so that there would be more music more in keeping with US tastes. In Kiki's they hired someone (can't remember who) to add music where once there was beautiful Miyazaki silence and stillness, because, according to Disney law (at least at that time) you couldn't go more than two or three minutes without music. How can anyone prefer THAT - they are changing the intention of the filmmaker. Subtitles don't change the INTENTION of the filmmaker - while they may not be word perfect translations they most certainly don't muck about with the story. And since Mr. Miyazaki is not directing the voice actors in the US, I have no interest in these dubs. Sorry. It's almost shocking to read this thread because the same people who are posting about how okay it is to only like the dubbed version (without having seen the original Japanese version, which is, BTW, included on every DVD release) would not be so happy if the film were shown in an incorrect aspect ratio or with mono sound or anything else that mucked about with the filmmaker's original intention.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2009 - 4:21 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I agree with what you say, Bruce, although I must say that in this particular case, I think dubbing is justified, if only to make the film accesible to kids in other countries who can neither understand Japanese nor read subtitles. As I said earlier, kiddie flicks are the only exception to the rule. However, the film should also be screened in selected theatres for adults (there's usually at least ONE theatre in Oslo that shows the film with the original voices for these exact purposes). And of course, on DVD, you usually have the choice. Subs for adults, dubs for kids.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2009 - 4:35 PM   

I agree with what you say, Bruce, although I must say that in this particular case, I think dubbing is justified, if only to make the film accesible to kids in other countries who can neither understand Japanese nor read subtitles. As I said earlier, kiddie flicks are the only exception to the rule. However, the film should also be screened in selected theatres for adults (there's usually at least ONE theatre in Oslo that shows the film with the original voices for these exact purposes). And of course, on DVD, you usually have the choice. Subs for adults, dubs for kids.

I actually wouldn't mind the dubs if they didn't muck around with the dialogue and intention. Maybe the later films are more true to the originals? But Kiki's is reprehensible. It may be my favorite of the Miyazaki's and what they did in that dub was horrible. I know dubs are kid-friendly, but the people posting here are not children and you'd think they'd at least watch the original Japanese version with subtitles on the DVD.

Posted:   Oct 31, 2009 - 4:42 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I actually wouldn't mind the dubs if they didn't muck around with the dialogue and intention. Maybe the later films are more true to the originals? But Kiki's is reprehensible. It may be my favorite of the Miyazaki's and what they did in that dub was horrible. I know dubs are kid-friendly, but the people posting here are not children and you'd think they'd at least watch the original Japanese version with subtitles on the DVD.

True.

Posted:   Nov 1, 2009 - 1:01 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I'm sometimes torn on the dubbing vs. subtitles question, particularly when a big American star appears in a foreign film. "The Leopard" immediately comes to mind. Do I want to hear Burt Lancaster's well-known voice, with the other actors dubbed, or do I want the lesser characters in their original Italian with some unknown Italian dubbing Burt Lancaster, while I read subtitles. In some of these international co-productions, regardless of the language in which one chooses to listen to the film, SOMEONE may be dubbed.

Posted:   Nov 1, 2009 - 9:40 AM   

I'm sometimes torn on the dubbing vs. subtitles question, particularly when a big American star appears in a foreign film. "The Leopard" immediately comes to mind. Do I want to hear Burt Lancaster's well-known voice, with the other actors dubbed, or do I want the lesser characters in their original Italian with some unknown Italian dubbing Burt Lancaster, while I read subtitles. In some of these international co-productions, regardless of the language in which one chooses to listen to the film, SOMEONE may be dubbed.

Yes, but these are not that frequent and isn't what's really being talked about. I have the same problem with La Strada - but with that film I always opt for Italian, even though Quinn and Basehart are dubbed, because the dubbed Masina voice is terrible and it ruins the film. Of course, the Leone Eastwood westerns, mostly everyone is dubbed save for the Americans in the cast. But that's something other than the Miyazakis, which are not International co-productions and should be heard in their original language - at least once.

Posted:   Nov 5, 2009 - 8:10 AM   
 By:   wayoutwest   (Member)

Nice Score, the art work on this cd is quite striking and the way it has been, very cleverly done. Three Separate inserts in the front of the tray,one that opens up double meant to be left in cd tray front.
Two others that open up into complete landscape image from one side to the other each eight pages wide,Great posters for kids rooms. would be nice to see some other labels doing something similar,know there has been posters which i really like in a number of releases before but never any that has been on separate inserts so you still have something left for the front insert of your cd tray. smile

Not sure if all versions are done this way mine was made in Germany by Colosseum

Posted:   Nov 5, 2009 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

It got a European release? Wonder why they didn't release it here....

I've been pondering getting the import, but with the exchange rate these days, my Japanese purchases have been limited.

Posted:   Nov 5, 2009 - 5:17 PM   
 By:   wayoutwest   (Member)

It got a European release? Wonder why they didn't release it here....

I've been pondering getting the import, but with the exchange rate these days, my Japanese purchases have been limited.

Hi Yes it has had a European Release by Colosseum which is based in Germany must be the same one that is also being sold at Amazon.com not unless they have also made them in the US in that case it my be Varese for the US one
http://www.amazon.com/Ponyo-Cliff-Sea-Joe-Hisaishi/dp/B001RTJ0TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1257469231&sr=1-1

Asian import:
http://www.amazon.com/Ponyo-Cliff-Sea-Joe-Hisaishi/dp/B0018QT94I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1257469231&sr=1-2

You will notice the difference on the front cover with one in english text and other with Asian does not show back of both but would take it that asian one does not have an English track list on the back and maybe both of the spines.

Noticed copy's cheap on ebay but they my be good looking dodgy asian copy's not sure wink

Posted:   Nov 5, 2009 - 7:23 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

I bought a copy of a Japanese import off of Amazon for about $16 bucks.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2010 - 12:54 AM   
 By:   Robin Raianiemi   (Member)

I got a copy of the score earlier this week (along with ISLANDS IN THE STREAM), and it's been playing pretty much constantly ever since. Marvelous, marvelous music! I especially love the second track on the disc, with that lovely vocal line; it's supple and rather seductive, methinks. I sort of which there were English track titles included with the CD, but with music this good, it seems positively the act of a Philistine to whine about it...!

When the movie comes out on Blu-Ray on March 2nd, both KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE and CASTLE IN THE SKY are being issued in the format on that very same day.

Now, when I bought a Blu-Ray player, I told myself, "Self...don't be replacing a whole bunch of your old DVD's with these newfangled hi-def discs, because the DVD versions are perfectly acceptable!"

However, with some films, I have to make exceptions. And Miyazaki films are going to be exceptions. (I rented the DVD version of PAPRIKA thru NetFlix a few months ago, and fell in love with the movie; I purchased the Blu-Ray disc the next day, and the difference between the two versions of the movie was startling; I can only assume the same will be true of the Miyazaki animes on Blu-Ray.)

And I'm hoping and praying for a Region 1 Blu-Ray of my favorite Miyazaki movie, PRINCESS MONONOKE.

Here I am, going on and on about anime, like I'm some kind of expert. I'm not. Other than Studio Ghibli, Satoski Kon, and maybe Osamu Tezuka, I'm pretty much a tyro when it comes right down to it. Geeze, I tried watching some anime TV titles like NEON GENESIS EVANGELION, and couldn't make head or tail of the darn thing...mebbe someone on the board can point me in the right direction on how to proceed in the genre from this point...

Posted:   Feb 6, 2010 - 5:34 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

When the movie comes out on Blu-Ray on March 2nd, both KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE and CASTLE IN THE SKY are being issued in the format on that very same day.

Sadly, the Kiki and Castle reissues are going to be released on DVD only for now. frown Agreed that Miyazaki movies will look spectacular on Blu.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2010 - 5:43 AM   

I was looking at the DVD cover art on Digital Bits...they certainly looked like Blu-Ray packaging, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Sorry for the misinformation. I stand corrected.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2010 - 8:04 PM   
 By:   raffster   (Member)

I sort of which there were English track titles included with the CD, but with music this good, it seems positively the act of a Philistine to whine about it...!

Colosseum handled the European release of this, the packaging was very nice, it included the original Japanese insert along with a translated one! You can get the English tracklist from their site here: http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.php/info/p2204_Ponyo-on-the-Cliff-by-the-Sea.html

Posted:   Feb 7, 2010 - 3:39 PM   

You can get the English tracklist from their site here: http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.php/info/p2204_Ponyo-on-the-Cliff-by-the-Sea.html

Thank you VERY much!!!

Posted:   Mar 12, 2010 - 2:42 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Hisaishi's music was solid, as always. Lots of gorgeous voices and solos, and a strong symphonic style. There were, however, two small issues - one is the temptrack-itis that permeates the scene when Ponyo rides towards the surface and on the waves, a fairly obvious rip of "Ride of the Valkyries". If they wanted that deliberate association, why not use the original instead of proximating it? It's also interesting to note that you guys call this nod "fun" or "nice" when it's Hisaishi doing it whereas if Horner had done it, you would all drag him through a lawnmower and into a furnace. The second issue was the rather childish end title song, which was at odds with the rest of the "mature" music.

Because sometimes you want an association that is just that: association, without dragging into the mix all of the baggage that would come with the original. Here you have a major key version aping of one of the most famous musical excerpts in history, doubtless chosen for reasons germane to the film. I haven't seen the film yet, but I assume the scene in the film is a happy and cheerful one, which the original "Ride", while thrilling, is definitely not happy or cheerful. And you certainly don't want filmgoers being reminded while watching this film of, say, the helicopter assault in APOCALYPSE NOW.

Also, I'm not sure the accusation of a double standard viz. Hisaishi and Horner is well taken. First, Hisaishi's example here is wildly over the top -- it's so obviously a parody (or, more properly, pastiche) of the Wagner that it is a wonderful example of musical humor. What he's done here is not unlike what Carl Stalling used to do in mining classical music for all those Looney Tunes shorts. When Horner "quotes" a classical work, he's not doing parody or pastiche. (Now, I tend to think that Horner tends to mine his own work for ideas more than classical music; I tend myself to not get into the whole "Horner is a plagiarist" debates.)

dont forget that Ponyo's real name is BRUNHILDE - right?

Posted:   Aug 17, 2013 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   General Kael   (Member)

Does anybody know if the music for the english trailer is a part of this soundtrack? I'm especially interested in the swashbuckling music from around 0:50 to 1:20 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AgCR1qaUM

Posted:   Aug 17, 2013 - 10:42 AM   
 By:   pete   (Member)

Does anybody know if the music for the english trailer is a part of this soundtrack?

It's been ages since I listened to the score so don't take my word for it, but apart from the quote of the main theme at the very end I didn't recognize any of the music.

Posted:   Aug 17, 2013 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

Does anybody know if the music for the english trailer is a part of this soundtrack? I'm especially interested in the swashbuckling music from around 0:50 to 1:20 or so.

No.

Posted:   Aug 17, 2013 - 11:05 AM   
 By:   General Kael   (Member)

Looks like it's not from Ponyo; can anybody identify that clip?