Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 1:34 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Does anyone have any custom back inlay artwork for Tron: Legacy (preferably with track timings)? I'd love to move the disc into a jewel case.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:13 PM   
 By:   pagemaster65   (Member)

Does anyone have any custom back inlay artwork for Tron: Legacy (preferably with track timings)? I'd love to move the disc into a jewel case.

I have done custom covers for the Special Edition, just take a look at my blog smile

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:22 PM   

Is anyone interested in volunteering a custom cover to Perseverance for their new "Secret Adventures of Jules Verne" release? That would be Antzstuff, pagemaster, etc etc

EDIT: Though I suppose it's too late for their pressing. frown

As you said, it's too late for their pressing! I have done some front covers for Perseverance but I was too late frown
Hope to have some luck next time. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, here are the ones I've designed:

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:31 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

I have done custom covers for the Special Edition, just take a look at my blog smile

Link?

Also, are these specially-sized so I can print them out easilly to sit a standard jewel case?

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:33 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

Here's one of my better ones:

P. S. My image is copyrighted -- please don't duplicate it without my express written permission.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:38 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Question: Anyone know how to get drop-shadows behind text in Photoshop Elements, or how to get the text not to pop out as if added later?

I ask this question all the time whenever a custom cover art thread comes up, and ironically it seems to never get answered. Yes, I know it's done in Photoshop, but like I said pages back, whenever I try it the text always has a blurry edge that sort of blends into the rest of the image. I've played around with doing it different ways, with different fonts, styles, etc., but I just can't figure out how to make the text "pop" and stand out the way the ones in this thread do. (For example, I've seen text against a same-colored background on CD covers that still stand out, but when I try it the text practically disappears into the background.)

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:45 PM   

Link?

Also, are these specially-sized so I can print them out easilly to sit a standard jewel case?

Link in my profile.
Yes, the covers are sized smile

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 2:51 PM   
 By:   David Kessler   (Member)

P. S. My image is copyrighted -- please don't duplicate it without my express written permission.

wooooaaaoow

I kneel before Zod...

Posted:   Mar 29, 2011 - 11:22 PM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

A week ago I finally bought the 2-cd-book from "Ben-Hur". Quite surprised by the music, it is fantastic. And the sound defies its age for a lot of parts. Anyway, the cover design wasn´t my cup of tea and I hated it that no one gets the accents on Rózsas name right so I made a new one for myself:

Obviously inspired by the Varèse design for their special editions wink

While I was at it I discovered that I grew attached to the score to "Cleopatra" over the years. When I bought it in 2001 I couldn´t stand it only to find that I now love it. But the same here: I didn´t like the cover. Again, I made something else:

Not one of my better works, too much klischee and very boring. But still... custom cover "art".

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 12:03 AM   
 By:   Polty   (Member)

A week ago I finally bought the 2-cd-book from "Ben-Hur". Quite surprised by the music, it is fantastic. And the sound defies its age for a lot of parts. Anyway, the cover design wasn´t my cup of tea and I hated it that no one gets the accents on Rózsas name right so I made a new one for myself:

While I was at it I discovered that I grew attached to the score to "Cleopatra" over the years. When I bought it in 2001 I couldn´t stand it only to find that I now love it. But the same here: I didn´t like the cover. Again, I made something else:

Not one of my better works, too much klischee and very boring. But still... custom cover "art".

Both of these are terrific. I made my own cover for BEN-HUR but will gladly replace it with yours. Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 12:06 AM   
 By:   Mike West   (Member)

Wow! Impressive, most impressive!
I had the Ben Hur set in my hands at the store quite often but then out it back.
How is the sound quality?

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 12:06 AM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

In the middle east, TRON LEGACY comes in a plastic jewel case instead of the cardboard one. the 2 disc sadly is still that flimsy cardboard.

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 12:46 AM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

Whoops! Please, guys, they aren´t that good. Thanks anyway smile

I had the Ben Hur set in my hands at the store quite often but then out it back.
How is the sound quality?

Buy it! If not for the sound quality which is stunning regarding the age of the material then for the lovely lovely lovely booklet. It´s a small book - literally. Sony BMG reprinted two version of the 1996 RCA remasters, both have two discs but only one of them comes as a book. Back to the sound again: it´s good. Obviously not as good as modern releases but definitely better than Cleopatra. For its age the sound has been well preserved. Not much air though...

Well, back to the covers. Inspired by this thread I looked at cover designs I despise and one popped out very prominently: the design for the remaster of "Aliens". So I made another one (again Varèse inspired):

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 2:13 AM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

Outstanding work here people...
Custom covers are sooo much fun to do. smile
I especially like the Ben-Hur and I'll probably use it when I encode to MP3... sometime soon. cool

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 2:41 AM   
 By:   The REAL BJBien   (Member)

Well, back to the covers. Inspired by this thread I looked at cover designs I despise and one popped out very prominently: the design for the remaster of "Aliens". So I made another one (again Varèse inspired):

Now that is awesome cover art!

Anyone make one for John Murphy - SUNSHINE? Just with his credit not UNDERWORLD's as the promo I have is only Murphy's work.

Giacchino's STAR TREK - DE could also use better cover art or atleast a nice even 800x800 high quality size.

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 8:37 AM   
 By:   Accidental Genius   (Member)

Giacchino's STAR TREK - DE could also use better cover art or atleast a nice even 800x800 high quality size.

Thought I'd found a decent 800x800 version posted on Album Art Exchange, but there's some colour added a bit obtrusively in some of the dark areas. Ah, well.

I say go for our own Scott H.'s excellent artwork and just add a black border to the top and bottom to make it a 1:1 ratio, if you need to. He has an 800-wide version. Here's the link (if Scott doesn't mind me posting it):

http://www.albumartexchange.com/gallery/images/public/mi/michae-startr_02.jpg

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   Accidental Genius   (Member)

@ Scott H.: Please send me a PM at (no spaces):

in the moment (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Posted:   Mar 30, 2011 - 11:39 PM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

Will this do??

Posted:   Mar 31, 2011 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I think everything here is very impressive indeed, EXCEPT for the Ben-Hur cover.
I'd say the original artist's classic, magnificent poster image is better without any photoshop tampering.

Posted:   Mar 31, 2011 - 3:00 AM   
 By:   Senojanaidni   (Member)

Ah ahahahahahaahahahhhaaha!!!!! Like it great and very fun