Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 2:40 AM   
 By:   The Underground   (Member)

Dan Hill's wretched lyrics to the It's a Long Road (Theme from First Blood) have forever sullied this great melody for me.

That mainstream and soppy song ruins the whole symphonic experience that Goldsmith provides.
That intrusive song is designed like a marketing plan to attract the mass.
It's really a torture and reminds how contrived the 80's was.

or how narrowminded some people here are...stop the movie before it plays then and skip the track when playing the CD...very easy, but for the rest of us that understands the meaning of the lyrics and why its there (to wrap up the story) it will forever be a great ending to a great movie...

Please don't insult the people who do not share your peculiar taste.
You people are are all the same, you do not tolerate any differences.
I see that you belong to the majority but it doesn't give you the right to silence any voices.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 3:23 AM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

The song is great IMHO and goes very well with the movie .

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 3:39 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

First Blood is a great instrumental theme but it's not a great vocal melody.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 3:50 AM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

Does anyone here share my dislike for the First Blood vocal? I wish I could unremember the damned thing.

Holy flypaper!
If Shakira or Jennifer Lopez sang a cover of It's a long road, would the world be a better place?

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   mstothard   (Member)

I do not agree with you. For me it is an excellent Song with wondrous music.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 11:23 AM   
 By:   John McMasters   (Member)

I don't like the song lyrics -- technically they seem bad to me -- words that do not rhyme correctly and words that are often, to my ears, misaccented to fit the melodic line. Just a lazy way of adding some words to a beautiful melody without too much craft involved. (It isn't easy to find words that actually and fully rhyme and whose syllables fit the melody to a tee -- not to mention words that are singable and understandable while sitting on the melody.) The words, though, in this instance don't ruin the score or film for me by any means -- and they are vague enough to fit the themes of the film -- but they are to me technically sloppy. Just IMHO of course!

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   Adam S   (Member)

The lyrics and vocals are so bad, it sounds like it's a parody of the real song. Unfortunately, however, it IS the real song. I just laugh and shake my head in disbelief every time I hear it. I never skip past it, though. I'm a glutton for punishment. big grin

This was my reaction as well - that the song sounds a little bit like a parody. But I also agree with Jehannum that you can have a great theme and isn't necessarily the basis of a very good song. I think the problem begins there and then the lyrics and performance give it that slightly satirical quality. The song in Rambo 2 is worse though IMO although in that case the movie plays a little bit like parody so maybe that makes it a better song.

- Adam

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 2:50 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

I bet Stevie could've pulled it off.

Posted:   Mar 21, 2011 - 4:13 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

This is why we can skip tracks on albums or on our iPods... I love theme, but am not much a fan of the vocal version, but it certainly doesn't ruin anything. Just don't play that track if you don't like it.

Posted:   Mar 22, 2011 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   MRAUDIO   (Member)

I never minded the song at the end - seemed pretty fitting.

Great score - loved the movie, also...:-)

Posted:   Mar 22, 2011 - 10:41 PM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

2) The shower scene from Psycho. No shrieking just good clean words needed.

Stop - it
Stop - it
Oh - please
No - stop
Why - is
This - happ
En - ing
To - me
(repeat until she falls)

Oh - f******k,
Oh - noooooo,
Oh - f******k,
Oh - noooooo,
I'm - screwed,
I'm - snuffed,
I'm - gone,
I'm - out...

Posted:   Mar 23, 2011 - 8:07 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

2) The shower scene from Psycho. No shrieking just good clean words needed.

Stop - it
Stop - it
Oh - please
No - stop
Why - is
This - happ
En - ing
To - me
(repeat until she falls)

Oh - f******k,
Oh - noooooo,
Oh - f******k,
Oh - noooooo,
I'm - screwed,
I'm - snuffed,
I'm - gone,
I'm - out...

I don't "get" why people don't like those lyrics. They fit the mood and what the characters are feeling. Just skip that track if you don't like it. We're kicking you out of the Cult of Herrmann.

Posted:   May 25, 2014 - 12:20 AM   
 By:   scorethefilm   (Member)

To me, the song jumps the shark with "I tell ya". What is this, Guys and Dolls?

I agree. I hadn't listened to this score in years when I put it in a few days ago. The theme has been haunting me and while I like the idea of the song, the lyrics are hit and miss but I really dig the tune and the song. It starts out well... "It's a long road when you're on your own" (which works nicely) but then it goes downhill from there. And when "I tell ya" jumps in, I can't help but laugh out loud. It's so cheesy. It's an earnest effort but a poor one at that. Still, there's no denying it's a great tune but the lyrics just don't do it justice and I think that's the issue that most folks have with it. I almost feel like writing my own so at least I have something reasonable to sing when I can't get it out of my mind instead of trying to hold back the laughter to the uncomfortably forced-to-fit lyrics.

Posted:   May 25, 2014 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   Great Escape   (Member)

For that matter, the title tunes for True Grit, High Noon, Gunfight at the OK Corral, and all but a handful of the James Bond movies are insipid pieces of exploitation that do little if anything to enhance their respective films. Listen sometime to Tom Lehrer's brilliant satirical take on this whole genre of song with the prospective title tune to Oedipus Rex and you will never take seriously or be bothered by First Blood again. Just be sure to listen to his comedic setup of the song before it.

Posted:   May 25, 2014 - 4:49 PM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

For that matter, the title tunes for True Grit, High Noon, Gunfight at the OK Corral, and all but a handful of the James Bond movies are insipid pieces of exploitation that do little if anything to enhance their respective films. Listen sometime to Tom Lender's brilliant satirical take on this whole genre of song with the prospective title tune to Oedipus Rex and you will never take seriously or be bothered by First Blood again. Just be sure to listen to his comedic setup of the song before it.

Who's this, uh, Tom LENDER?? Did you mean Tom Lehrer? -

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScdJURKGWM

Posted:   May 26, 2014 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   Great Escape   (Member)

Yes, Lehrer. Autocorrect is not our friend. Thanks for the catch.

Posted:   May 26, 2014 - 9:56 AM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

The song may not be great, but it doesn't grate with me. I'll listen to it for sheer contrast to the instrumental that began and rounded out the movie.

I've always thought of the song as the vocal of a 'grunt' giving his poetic best and it synopsized the story in clearly delivered, plain english.

Posted:   May 26, 2014 - 10:27 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

Well, one of the reasons why I tend to listen to film scores is because I just don`t like songs (okay a few exceptions but not many).

Posted:   May 26, 2014 - 2:58 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

I absolutely hate the vocal version. However, an old flame of mine, a lovely, voluptuous, passionate, kind woman, loved Dan Hill, and loved that song. I used the song as the gateway to movie music for her.

Whenever I play the score, I think of her. So Dan Hill's song gets a pass this time!

Posted:   May 26, 2014 - 8:26 PM   
 By:   chromaparadise   (Member)

It's funny, since I started habitually playing the FIRST BLOOD soundtrack back in 1982, many of my friends have this love it/hate it thing with the lyrics and vocal to "It's A Long Road." Personally, it works okay for me; however, I believe Goldsmith's original "End Title" is a spectacular achievement and prefer it nine times out of ten.

My impression over the years has been that a "pop" song derived from Goldsmith's most emotional of themes lacks the sophistication of Goldsmith's concept. Goldsmith's score is a very complicated portrayal of what otherwise might have seemed like a heart-less, inhuman, robotic killer. Goldsmith's music gave us a toe-hold on the John Rambo character for nearly a minute before we even see the guy, and perhaps ten lines of folksy-rhymes is just too simplistic.

But, hey, business is business and that's why it's there, and Goldsmith was nothing, if not a team player. Better he did it, then to let some other goof do it...oh wait a minute, didn't that happen on one of those other Rambo movies...?