Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:21 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Not the 80s. I'm not sure anyone will guess it, frankly.

Well if it had a bad original CD representation this would imply that it's a digital era score so.... 90s then?

Well, I hate most of the scores of the 90s, but have released a couple from that decade that I do like very much - I suppose this will join that rarefied group.

Hmm and a 78 odd minute score is pretty long for a drama, so I'd guess it's an adventure or sci fi score as those tend to get fairly lengthy scores, especially from the 90s onwards

Chris

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:30 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The "addicting" description suggests to me something synth-laden. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:43 PM   
 By:   TheFamousEccles   (Member)

Okay, based on the clews thus far, here are a few composers that it might possibly be (I may accidentally include one or two who have already been on Kritzerland, so apologies in advance if I do so):

Leonard Rosenman (not likely though - I can't think of any CDs of his 90s scores that would fit the description)
Basil Poledouris
Richard Robbins
Miles Goodman
Michael Kamen
Stanley Myers

And, though my guessing track record has been okay lately, it's probably not any of those. However, I can't shake a sneaking suspicion that it might be Robbins's score for "Quartet." That doesn't seem like a film that would have had that much music written for it, though - I haven't seen it in a dog's age, though, so I could be wrong (or right).

No matter what it is, consider my curiosity piqued!

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:54 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Not the 80s. I'm not sure anyone will guess it, frankly.

Well if it had a bad original CD representation this would imply that it's a digital era score so.... 90s then?

Well, I hate most of the scores of the 90s, but have released a couple from that decade that I do like very much - I suppose this will join that rarefied group.

Hmm and a 78 odd minute score is pretty long for a drama, so I'd guess it's an adventure or sci fi score as those tend to get fairly lengthy scores, especially from the 90s onwards

Chris

No adventure or sci-fi. The score, outside of the few source cues, probably runs around sixty-five minutes.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:54 PM   

The "addicting" description suggests to me something synth-laden. I hope I'm wrong.

You are completely wrong smile

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 9:56 PM   

Okay, based on the clews thus far, here are a few composers that it might possibly be (I may accidentally include one or two who have already been on Kritzerland, so apologies in advance if I do so):

Leonard Rosenman (not likely though - I can't think of any CDs of his 90s scores that would fit the description)
Basil Poledouris
Richard Robbins
Miles Goodman
Michael Kamen
Stanley Myers

And, though my guessing track record has been okay lately, it's probably not any of those. However, I can't shake a sneaking suspicion that it might be Robbins's score for "Quartet." That doesn't seem like a film that would have had that much music written for it, though - I haven't seen it in a dog's age, though, so I could be wrong (or right).

No matter what it is, consider my curiosity piqued!

None of the above. smile I will seriously be amazed if anyone gets this. Then again, I've been seriously amazed time and again because you people are GOOD! I like that we're kind of the last man standing in terms of guessing - us and Quartet, I think.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:01 PM   
 By:   TheFamousEccles   (Member)

Well, at least now we know who didn't write it.

Steve Allen asks: Did said dear departed composer who wrote this somewhat maligned, poorly issued score from the 1990s ever receive an Academy Award nomination for any of their work?

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:01 PM   

For a moment I thought it might be Jarre's GHOST, which was a very short CD, but I don't suppose the integral use of Unchained Melody would count as source.
So I'll ask instead... is the composer French? Or more to the point, Jarre or Delerue?

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:16 PM   

For a moment I thought it might be Jarre's GHOST, which was a very short CD, but I don't suppose the integral use of Unchained Melody would count as source.
So I'll ask instead... is the composer French? Or more to the point, Jarre or Delerue?

Neither of those.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:17 PM   

Well, at least now we know who didn't write it.

Steve Allen asks: Did said dear departed composer who wrote this somewhat maligned, poorly issued score from the 1990s ever receive an Academy Award nomination for any of their work?

Never nominated - and that is a huge omission in terms of one of the scores the composer wrote.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:42 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Michael Kamen's Circle of Friends is all I'm coming up with.....wait, didn't catch the list
with Kamen on it, which was wrong....

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 10:46 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Having gone through every possible permutation in my head of deceased, never-nominated composers never on Kritzerland before (and none of the composers on TheFamousEccles' list), I have just one question:

Is this a real score, or something you just made up?

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 11:16 PM   

Having gone through every possible permutation in my head of deceased, never-nominated composers never on Kritzerland before (and none of the composers on TheFamousEccles' list), I have just one question:

Is this a real score, or something you just made up?

Well, I just listened to it for about the 50th time, so I think it's real smile And we actually have the CDs, first time ever - we actually have this and a subsequent release already here. LOVE that.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2013 - 11:24 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

Neither of those.

This is an interesting reply to Basil Wrathbone's question, but seems a little devious, as if Mr. Bruce is playing with us. smile

It's not Jarre or Delerue BUT.....is the composer French???

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 12:07 AM   

Neither of those.

This is an interesting reply to Basil Wrathbone's question, but seems a little devious, as if Mr. Bruce is playing with us. smile

It's not Jarre or Delerue BUT.....is the composer French???

Nope.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 10:15 AM   

Told you this one was hard. smile

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

Told you this one was hard. smile

Okay, to see if it's even worth me bothering with any more guesses, was the movie a success? I.e. was it maybe in the top 10 or 20 grossers in its year of release?

Also, would the movie be classified as a drama?

Chris

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

I give up ....... eek

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

So.....what has been established?......

It's a score from the '90s.

The composer is deceased.

The composer was not French.

The score was released previously on CD, but incomplete.

The score is not from the Paramount library.

The composer is new to Kritzerland.

The score is not in the sci-fi genre.

The composer never won an Oscar.

1- Is this a score from a film which might be categorized as a US film?

2- Can we eliminate the genres of westerns and horror for this score/film?

3- Is this a score for a "period" film?

4- Is the film for which this score was written, based upon the work of a famous classic novelist, like Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Victor Hugo, etc. ?

Posted:   Sep 17, 2013 - 1:37 PM   

The composer never won an Oscar.

Nor even nominated.