Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 10:18 AM   
 By:   OnlyGoodMusic   (Member)

While the Kunzel recording was ambitious and did a fine job of representing the score (better, I thought, than the Bernstein re-recording), it unfortunately caught Frankie Laine at a point in his life where his vocal talents had diminished pretty significantly.

I agree, but on top of those I got an album that contains both the "pop version" of the ballad by Laine, and the "film version" (together with the same combination for my ultimate favorite of western songs, 3:10 to Yuma) in their original recordings - it's probably a bootleg. The Kunzel recording is kind of a sentimental favorite for me, it was the first western movie music collection I ever bought.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

Not yet, but soon. wink

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 11:14 AM   
 By:   Ed Lachmann   (Member)

I just think Basil's getting kicked around a bit too much around here, mainly because I totally agree with him. This was an immediate purchase for me since I love all things Tiomkin and am really excited by this outstanding release. I had been hoping that the mystery Golden Age score might be "Wild is the Wind", but what a wonderful surprise, Of course, I'm one of "those" Golden Age people and pretty much can't stand any of the newer stuff. Besides "I Mongoli" and this, the one I hope I'll be buying next is "The Ten Commandments".

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 11:15 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

While the Kunzel recording was ambitious and did a fine job of representing the score (better, I thought, than the Bernstein re-recording), it unfortunately caught Frankie Laine at a point in his life where his vocal talents had diminished pretty significantly.

The GUNFIGHT suite on the Erich Kunzel Telarc "Round-Up" CD was fabulous and I thought Frankie Laine sounded excellent. It's one of those discs - especially that suite - which I played incessantly when I first got it. I've only just noticed that a new Ultra High Definition version has just been released. This new release obviously won't have the same sonic power as the Telarc but it'll be good to have the complete score. The film itself is a bit of a bore - unfortunately.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The GUNFIGHT suite on the Erich Kunzel Telarc "Round-Up" CD was fabulous and I thought Frankie Laine sounded excellent.

I too think Laine's singing on the Telarc is very good, regardless of his age at the time.
In comparison, the vocals in the Bernstein re-recording sound like they were captured at a local pub's karaoke night.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 12:38 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Those who purport to be film music aficionados but do not purchase such a great score need to be exposed here as charlatans.

Well, I consider myself something of an aficionado, loving music from all eras (including a lot of great music written before the film medium was invented...though I guess I'm *more* of a Beethoven-onwards sort of guy in general). I'm not buying this (or any of LLL's lovely Black Friday releases)...not because I'm a charlatan but because I'm a poor student again and I have to prioritize.

For the past couple years I've almost exclusively limited my purchases to Goldsmith (my favorite and the only composer I can really afford to be a completist of at the moment), Bernstein, Poledouris, Rozsa, and Newman. I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff because of this but I just can't manage the expense.

Though I'm very glad Gunfight was released (it looks GREAT by the way...kudos Joe S.!) and I hope LLL continues to have success with (and therefore put out more) Golden Age releases. However, like other people in this thread it's not the era but the particular composer who makes this a low priority title...

For me, Tiomkin (and Stothart, Steiner, and Young to a lesser extent) just was too often heavy-handed and unsubtle. I mean, I guess Rozsa could hit you over the head pretty often but his approach doesn't feel as much like everything-and-the-kitchen-sink as Tiomkin often did. His style speaks to me (a lot) more, and he often knew when to let the image and/or dialogue speak for itself. Probably a tenth of Tiomkin's output do I really enjoy, and much of Gunfight actually falls into that tenth, but I still don't like it nearly as much as many other scores in the genre by other composers...on the same subject give me Broughton's Tombstone or Goldsmith's Hour of the Gun any day.

So...if this is still around in several years when I hopefully have more income I might pick it up if I don't have 500 other things calling my attention even more.

Yavar

P.S. I will never miss a single Alfred Newman release you guys put out, MV!

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 3:19 PM   
 By:   1980's Soundtrack Whore   (Member)

Im Not familiar with this composer. Samples did nothing for me either so definitely passing on this one. Thankfully LLL's other 3 titles more than fulfilled my listening needs.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:07 PM   
 By:   Clark Wayne   (Member)

Never seen the film.

Never heard the soundtrack.

Not interested in 'oaters'.

Lots of titles I DO want .

Not enough money to pay for all of them.

So no-someone else is more than welcome to buy it-I have 0% interest in it myself.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 4:08 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

Please Basil, don't throw stones at the hive.

He's not throwing stones. He's firebombing it and then running and hiding under a garbage bin a la 'The Swarm'.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:33 PM   
 By:   filmo   (Member)

if people are hesitating about buying 'GUNFIGHT,' I just want to say that if you like Tchaikovsky, borodin, Mussorgsky, and rachmaninov, you will LOVE tiomkin. his symphonic themes, ballads, folk melodies all exude Russian oriented music that i know people will enjoy. one would think his music was written over a hundred years ago, but it has great romantic harmonies that are so beautiful to listen to.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 5:57 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Actually I love all of those composers (probably in the order of Borodin, Rachmaninov, Mussorgsky and then Tchaikovsky) as well as most Russian classical composers...but I don't care for the majority of Tiomkin, and some I outright hate (ie. Shadow of a Doubt). So I don't think it's a guarantee sort of thing.

That said I will admit to loving Tadlow's rerecordings of The Alamo and Fall of the Roman Empire...Peking has its moments...36 Hours is more interesting than a lot of his stuff...

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 6:08 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Strangers on a Train will hopefully be the next great Tiomkin treasure to make a much-belated appearance.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 7:30 PM   
 By:   davel   (Member)

...36 Hours is more interesting than a lot of his stuff...

Yavar

My favourite Tiomkin.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 7:32 PM   
 By:   davel   (Member)

Strangers on a Train will hopefully be the next great Tiomkin treasure to make a much-belated appearance.

Strangers on a Train I would definitely buy.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 11:28 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Those who purport to be film music aficionados but do not purchase such a great score need to be exposed here as charlatans.
Admit your folly by adding your name to this List of Shame if you do not intend to acquire this long-lost and now miraculously-resurrected score.

Honestly. That was at the top of my list. Do I win something for the admission, like a sugar cookie.

My wife is getting for me for Christmas.

Damn. Now I really want that cookie. wink

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Dec 5, 2013 - 1:04 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

I was going to buy a copy, but this thread has persuaded me to change my mind. LLL - you know who to thank...

Aaah, shame, given I know how you love those clip-cloppity western scores of old ...

For me, I'm tempted (I watched the film a year or so ago for the first time in decades) and whilst I'm not a 100% Tiomkin fan I do like a lot of his material. Strangely, I found the Elmer Bernstein re-recording less than wonderful ... like others, the vocalist was not up to the job, IMHO.

I recently purchased the Frankie Laine album Hell Bent for Leather (I've owned the vinyl LP for many years) and I shall be getting the Geoff Love Big Western Movie Themes album shortly ... each of which have great - alternative - interpretations of that iconic theme.

So. whilst spend is on hold (I've spent a lot recently, earned little and with Christmas here) I'll refrain ... but hopefully sometime in the New Year.

As for the music and film: I do prefer Jerry Goldsmith~James Garner in Hour of the Gun but I have no love for the Bruce Broughton~Kurt Russell modern telling Tombstone ... dead-in-the-ground for me smile

Mitch

Posted:   Dec 5, 2013 - 4:37 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Ah Tall Guy, no one will change my mind, I AM buying the Tiomkin cd.

I'm living in the 1940s and 1950s! smile

Then you must have a warehouse full of UNIVACs just to access this messageboard! And on what exactly will you be playing the CD? The needle's more than likely to skip...

TG

Posted:   Dec 5, 2013 - 4:44 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

That said I will admit to loving Tadlow's rerecordings of The Alamo and Fall of the Roman Empire...Peking has its moments...36 Hours is more interesting than a lot of his stuff...

I actually think 'The Alamo' and 'Roman Empire' are two of the greatest ever film scores. I'm not a huge Tiomkin fan, I only have a small number of his scores, but it's certainly ironic that two of my favourites are both composed by him.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2013 - 4:44 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Aaah, shame, given I know how you love those clip-cloppity western scores of old ...

Oh yes, Mitch, I just luuurve those clippitty-cloppity westerns big grin

Although, seriously, you know that I like Tiomkin's Alamo very much, and only to a slightly lesser extent the Guns of Navarone. I'd probably enjoy "OK" quite a lot, but I'll have to be a charlatan for now, because there's a huge number of things higher in the priority list.

Quite apart from Christmas, if I buy "OK" before I've picked up every Sparks CD I'll be severely disappointed in myself!

Chris

Posted:   Dec 5, 2013 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Admit your folly by adding your name to this List of Shame if you do not intend to acquire this long-lost and now miraculously-resurrected score.

What a stupid comment. Why can't you accept that tastes differ and not everyone has to buy the same thing?