Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 8, 2014 - 10:56 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Good morning Bruce. Was CENTENNIAL SUMMER shipped on Wednesday,August 6th as hoped for ?

Indeed it was.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2014 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

I, for one, am very much looking forward to it!

Posted:   Aug 8, 2014 - 6:17 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Hope to receive it tomorrow [Saturday]. Living in the bay area, I usually get it on the second day after leaving southern California. Oh well, another day won't hurt.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2014 - 7:27 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

I received the CD today and just finished playing it.

It's a delightful CD, very cheerful and uplifting. There is a lot of instrumental scoring by Alfred Newman including many waltzes. It's a nice change of pace from more serious scores.

Thanks Bruce, for all the golden age CDs. Please keep them coming! smile

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 4:55 AM   

It arrived on Saturday. Got a chance to play it after my wife and I returned from a wonderful day at a Filipino festival,Pistahan. Delightful score !

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 5:00 AM   

Bruce, can we expect any Franz Waxman scores before the end of the year ? I'm still hoping for an eventual release of COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA and THE FURIES.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 11:41 AM   

Bruce, can we expect any Franz Waxman scores before the end of the year ? I'm still hoping for an eventual release of COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA and THE FURIES.

We are always on the hunt.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 12:52 PM   

Will the hunt for Victor Young Volume 2 be near? smile

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 3:52 PM   

We're working on it now, and volume three won't be far behind from what I'm told.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 6:57 PM   

Well, that is certainly good news about Victor Young. Thanks PFK for following up my inquiry about Franz Waxman with yours on Victor Young. Victor Young is one of my favorites also as you probably already know.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:01 PM   

We're working on it now, and volume three won't be far behind from what I'm told.

Wow! Thanks for the great news Bruce! Can't wait! smile

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:05 PM   

Well, that is certainly good news about Victor Young. Thanks PFK for following up my inquiry about Franz Waxman with yours on Victor Young. Victor Young is one of my favorites also as you probably already know.

Yep, Victor Young is one of my favorites too!

Back in 1956 my older brother Joe bought a copy of Young's Around the World in 80 Days .........Been a Victor Young fan ever since! smile

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:31 PM   

Back in 1956 my older brother Joe bought a copy of Young's Around the World in 80 Days .........Been a Victor Young fan ever since! smile

Finally getting SHANE about two years ago after an almost 60 year wait was the top of the Paramount mountain for me. Followed very close behind by A PLACE IN THE SUN. I never expected IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE to be part of the Paramount library, but that was a wonderful surprise.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:31 PM   

Finally getting SHANE about two years ago after an almost 60 year wait was the top of the Paramount mountain for me. Followed very close behind by A PLACE IN THE SUN. I never expected IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE to be part of the Paramount library, but that was a wonderful surprise.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:33 PM   

Sorry for the double post.

Posted:   Aug 10, 2014 - 9:48 PM   

SHANE was one of the scores I wanted most. It's my favorite Victor Young score. Yes, nearly a 60 year wait. Well, at least I got Around the World in 80 Days when it came out in 1956! smile

Posted:   Aug 11, 2014 - 9:44 AM   

Bruce, speaking of Victor Young I hope you can issue The Proud and the Profane, if possible.

The film is on youtube. Young wrote a beautiful love theme and the main title really soars in typical Victor Young fashion.

Thanks for the forthcoming Victor Young cds! smile

Posted:   Aug 11, 2014 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   georgefenton   (Member)

Bruce, How many scores will be in the upcoming Victor Young at Paramount Vol 2?

Thanks

Posted:   Aug 11, 2014 - 10:35 AM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

Bruce, How many scores will be in the upcoming Victor Young at Paramount Vol 2?

Thanks

will this be a 2 cd set?

Posted:   Aug 11, 2014 - 11:12 AM   
 By:   TheFamousEccles   (Member)

"Centennial Summer" (as well as the Hefti double-bill) arrived yesterday, and I've been greatly enjoying both. "Centennial" has a warm, welcoming sound. Kern was one of our finest melodists, and such a towering figure in the American musical landscape, so it's an absolute treat (and of importance, too!) to have his final major work presented in such a loving, complete form. "Up With the Lark" is such a delightful song, and "In Love In Vain" and "All Through the Day" have those kinds of effortlessly gorgeous contours that Kern conjured up constantly. Newman's underscore is charming and typically elegant - his interpolations and adaptations of Kern's songs are rich, and very smartly done, too (naturally).

Many thanks for giving this sometimes underrated musical a moment in the sun!