Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 8:58 AM   
 By:   Adam S   (Member)

Great news! I remember taping some of the music straight to casette when I was young and I had my very own homeade soundtracks to Conrack, Family Plot, Black Sunday and others. So now when I hear the sample, The Mystery Women, my brain is conditioned to hear the woman's shoes clacking the ground as in the movie. I can't wait to get this.

- Adam

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   DerekR   (Member)

This is the only one from this latest batch I'd consider, but after listening to the samples, I must pass and await Intrada's announcement this afternoon.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   afn   (Member)

In all modesty, some questions must be allowed to be asked.

Comparing it to the "unmentionable", I dare ask where is the light pop arrangement of one of the themes? On the "unmentionable" we have not only one but a few of these tracks (of which "FP002" is the best).

So as a potential customer who simply knows "what's out there" already I ask where is that track? I can't find it on the Varese tracklist, or is it there and I just don't see it?
It's a brilliant track, totally emanating that easy-going 70s Williams feeling, and I would be extremely disppointed if it wasn't there. Of course I'm going to secure my official copy (in stereo, yes!), but not if it isn't as complete as it can be. Or somebody has an explanation for omitting "FP002"?

NB: Of course it probably isn't called "FP002" on the Varese disc... :-)

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Wonderful news! smile Great score, and the sound clips are terrific. Ordered this in a heartbeat (didn't want to even chance this selling out).

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   steb74   (Member)

I think it's this one from the varese release - 21. Family Plot Theme (2:38)
It has the same running time as the other 'available' pop version, at least the version I have anyway.
Well, there are a few versions around but I'm sure they all come from the same source, just renamed, etc.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   Ebab   (Member)

Hey, and great artwork, too!

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 10:11 AM   
 By:   ahem   (Member)

By the way, who of you have seen the film?

I found it silly and lackluster on almost every level, a far cry from Hitch in his prime! But that we got a Williams score out of it, and that he got to work the famous director, is something to be treasured.

Well, I guess it's no Ladyhawke. wink

I think Family Plot is a brilliant, modest TV movie, and shouldn't be seen as anything else. I think the score is expert in recapturing the spirit of Herrmann, too. I wish John Williams had done more stuff like this since, because he's so good at it and is surprisingly really good at unsettling, supernatural sounding suspense music incorporating synths.

I think Frenzy was the last great cinematic Hitch, but both of these films to me are a fine return to form after Topaz.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 11:31 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I won't even grumble about not using the original poster art on the cover.

Well, it's an adaptation.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 11:45 AM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Terrible movie, glad fans of William's score finally have this available. First time since the advent of the CD club that not one release interests me.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 11:46 AM   

Next!

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 11:50 AM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

Terrible movie, glad fans of William's score finally have this available. First time since the advent of the CD club that not one release interests me.

Thank God it wasn't another boring Goldsmith title.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:05 PM   

Yeah, that Goldsmith is a huge big fat bore.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   John Smith   (Member)

Or another lachrymal Delerue release!

smile

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:23 PM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

excellent movie, excellent score, excellent purchase.

next!

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

Needless to say but...WAY ORDERED!
One of the last of my holy grails.
My want list is shrinking rapidly.

Den

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:48 PM   
 By:   John Black   (Member)

I was hoping for Herrmann's OBSESSION, but this is a very nice announcement.

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:51 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!

Den

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:52 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

do i have to say it?
do i really need to say it, again?

i am so close, so close to achieving the last remaining jewel in the crown (or, if you prefer 'chrystal skull").

you know the name.............

F

R

E

N

Z

Y

before i die, please!

bruce

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:54 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

.... excellent score, excellent purchase.

next!

now you got it!
smile

Posted:   Nov 22, 2010 - 12:55 PM   

EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!

Den

Really think so?? I thought it was one of Hitchcock's worst movies.