Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:02 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Oh, all right - composer and one title has been guessed smile

It's Mr. Friedhofer - as most know, one of my favorite film composers ever. Three scores on two CDs. One of them, as has been mentioned, is a near-complete (missing only seven minutes of music) The Rains of Ranchipur - in mono (the stereo mags, for the most part, are not usable for most of the score), but really good mono, plus we do have the few surviving cues in stereo that were on the Varese CD and one additional short part of the end title in stereo.

Of the two other titles, one has been out before, but has been completely re-mixed for this release and sounds absolutely incredible, and it has two short unreleased cues added, and the third score has never been released in any form. Let's just say, I'm dancing a jig.

Could the one that has been remixed be THE Young Lions?

No, The Young Lions had an LP release and requires extra licensing from Universal.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:14 AM   
 By:   Stefan Schlegel   (Member)

Of the two other titles, one has been out before, but has been completely re-mixed for this release and sounds absolutely incredible, and it has two short unreleased cues added, and the third score has never been released in any form. Let's just say, I'm dancing a jig.

There are not that many Friedhofer Fox titles left from the 50s which have never been released in any form. Two of those would be for example THREE CAME HOME or THE BLUE ANGEL. So it might be one of those two.
As to the one which has been out before, I suppose it could be SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (maybe with much better sound quality now and more tracks than on the FSM CD) or IN LOVE AND WAR.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:28 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

There are not many Friedhofer Fox titles from the 50s left which have never been released in any form. Two of those would be for example THREE CAME HOME or THE BLUE ANGEL. So it might be one of those two.
As to the one which has been out before, I suppose it could be SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (maybe with much better sound quality now and more tracks than on the FSM CD) or IN LOVE AND WAR.

If one of them it's an improved SOLDIER OF FORTUNE - with that theme! - I'll be dancing a jig, too!...

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:28 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

I'd love to have a more complete SOLDIER OF FORTUNE, but, as I recall from talk about the previous release, the material was pretty badly deteriorated.

I wonder if the previously released, but now newly remixed title is SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD.....

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:58 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

...or IN LOVE AND WAR.

I was listening to the Intrada just a couple of days ago. Sounds fine to me. There are plenty other Friedhofers in more need of a remastering than this one.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   the art of silence   (Member)

It will be incredibly if it is the wonderful ENCHANTMENT (49), or VERA CRUZ, or the master-piece THE HARDER THEY FALL.

Thanks for this marvelous future edition. Friedhofer is the best golden boy.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 11:03 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Could the one never released before be THREE CAME HOME? That would be FANTASTIC !

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 1:01 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

I'd love to have a more complete SOLDIER OF FORTUNE, but, as I recall from talk about the previous release, the material was pretty badly deteriorated.

I wonder if the previously released, but now newly remixed title is SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD.....

Was there a problem with Seven Cities Of Gold? I always thought it sounded OK, but if it could be improved I'd be happy, as it's one of my favorite Friedhofer's. I'm sure I read on one site that Nick Redman said there was an HD master for this title, so it might be a TT release next year. I don't know anything about the possible The Blue Angel, I've never seen it, but the subject matter would suit Freidhofer. Oh well we'll know soon enough, Bruce is not good at keeping a secret for too long!

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:10 PM   

Since all titles have been guessed smile

The Rains of Ranchipur almost complete (only seven minutes missing, and those cues are really covered in the rest of the score), in mono, with the usable stereo tracks in the bonus section.

Seven Cities of Gold - remixed and sounding incredible, with two short unreleased cues added.

The Blue Angel - a shockingly underrated film, and a short but wonderful Friedhofer score (a lot of the music in the film is source and songs). Two CD set.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:24 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Wow! I'll buy one for sure. Thanks for all the golden age Bruce!

Can Soldier of Fortune be improved? Any more music from the film found?

Please keep the golden age coming, I've bought them all!

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

A near-complete RANCHIPUR and a remastered SEVEN CITIES means I can kiss my Varese CD goodbye...

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:27 PM   

We're looking at a lot of stuff right now.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Thanks for the encouraging words Bruce. I started collecting soundtracks in 1964, never thought I would ever have these golden age scores. Your golden age CDs have certainly brought me a lot of enjoyment. I know I speak for others too.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 4:42 PM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

Since all titles have been guessed smile

The Rains of Ranchipur almost complete (only seven minutes missing, and those cues are really covered in the rest of the score), in mono, with the usable stereo tracks in the bonus section.

Seven Cities of Gold - remixed and sounding incredible, with two short unreleased cues added.

The Blue Angel - a shockingly underrated film, and a short but wonderful Friedhofer score (a lot of the music in the film is source and songs). Two CD set.

This is more exiting than getting 2 KONGS!!

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 5:01 PM   
 By:   paul rossen   (Member)

We're looking at a lot of stuff right now.

Malcolm Arnold?

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 5:37 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

I know it wasn't THREE CAME HOME, but this is a buy for me anyway. You can't go wrong with a golden age composer like Hugo Friedhofer. Bruce, if you get around to Alfred Newman again at 20CF,as I am sure you will, please consider a very short score from a western classic, THE GUNFIGHTER. It could be placed on a double CD with two other Newman scores. Just a suggestion. You are still on a roll with me. Keep 'em coming !

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 10:38 PM   

I know it wasn't THREE CAME HOME, but this is a buy for me anyway. You can't go wrong with a golden age composer like Hugo Friedhofer. Bruce, if you get around to Alfred Newman again at 20CF,as I am sure you will, please consider a very short score from a western classic, THE GUNFIGHTER. It could be placed on a double CD with two other Newman scores. Just a suggestion. You are still on a roll with me. Keep 'em coming !

We're looking at a LOT of things smile

Ranchipur is one of Hugo's greats and people seemed to be so disappointed that only about thirteen minutes was on the Varese album, so hopefully this will be a very satisfying CD.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2012 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

A near-complete RANCHIPUR and a remastered SEVEN CITIES means I can kiss my Varese CD goodbye...

... and people wonder why Varese is resorting to vault diving nowadays.
I think its more than a little embarrassing that many of their club CDs have been reissued in superior form by many other labels.

Still that Herrmann box is an amazing accomplishment!

Posted:   Oct 5, 2012 - 3:06 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

I think its more than a little embarrassing that many of their club CDs have been reissued in superior form by many other labels.

It's in the nature of things that CD's are re-released with better/more sound as things are found & technology improves, Varese did it with The Egyptian. I think it's great that Bruce is releasing this stuff: a mono score, an improved soundtrack that's already been released, & it's not a big selling composer, & how many people here have even seen The Blue Angel? Such glorious folly should be supported. I wonder if they've found the tapes for Harline's 23 Paces to Baker Street? I'd love to have that main title music without the sound effects of the Thames boats.

Oh, & some of those Herrmann scores for those of us who didn't buy the box please.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2012 - 3:33 PM   

It's in the nature of things that CD's are re-released with better/more sound as things are found & technology improves, Varese did it with The Egyptian. I think it's great that Bruce is releasing this stuff: a mono score, an improved soundtrack that's already been released, & it's not a big selling composer, & how many people here have even seen The Blue Angel? Such glorious folly should be supported. I wonder if they've found the tapes for Harline's 23 Paces to Baker Street? I'd love to have that main title music without the sound effects of the Thames boats.

Oh, & some of those Herrmann scores for those of us who didn't buy the box please.

We're looking at the Harline stuff - I love 23 Paces.